An Interesting Topic...

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

An Interesting Topic...

equestriangurl
Posts 0
equestriangurl

13 May 2007, 22:26 #1

I was jst thinking, wouldnt it be fun to compare todays gangs or 'cliques' to the greasers an socs?Personally I think that todays emo people are lke greasers, and todays preps are liek socs.

#1 outsiders fan
Advanced Member
#1 outsiders fan
Advanced Member

14 May 2007, 01:24 #2

Naw, I don't think the Emo people are like greasers that much at all. The preps usally are "socs" so them maybe. You also have to look at the town a person lives in. My town is both divided by race, and we only have one public high school, and a private school. The people at the private school are all supposed to be rich snobs( some are not). The public school people are the "greasers".
In all the preps probaly would be the Socs, but their still are people who would be considered greasers then.

Summer
"Man that was a tuff car, mustangs are tuff"

~Summer Nicole~

Cole
Posts 0
Cole

14 May 2007, 02:50 #3

Yeah Emos arent Like greasers. There sorta well i dont know what they are, there just themselves really. But i do agree that Preps (Jocks) are like Socs, here in our town, if you have money (play sports or not) your a Prep (soc)

Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member
Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member

14 May 2007, 04:13 #4

Well, don't get me started on Emos. They're my biggest pet peeve. But I definitely don't think they're greasers.

Preps, I guess they can be socs.
They say one day your life will flash before your eyes.
Make it worth watching.

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

14 May 2007, 15:32 #5

Cheer up, emo kids!

I don't really think that Greasers are emo or anything. There are sooo many definitions for that word that I guess if you use the right definition, you could somehow get it to where it could mean about the same thing as a Greaser, but really, I don't think Emo's are greasers.

Socs could be preps though. That's about the same thing.
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
All gave some, he gave all.
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Rounding third and headed for Heaven

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

14 May 2007, 16:40 #6

I don't think Greasers have changed, if you read the book it seems that the most of them run around being anti social, annoying people, robbing people,shop lifting e.c.t. therefore Greasers are still the lower class with no parenting. Okay so maybe they're not as bad as the 600 club (Group of youths under 18 here who are real hardcore Gangsters.) but still anytime I see a gang of youths shopping lifting or cursing cops out of it I think Greasers.

Socs haven't changed either, richies will always be socs unless of course they made their money illegally then they're just scumbags who'll get caught eventually. :D

Maybe I've just being doing much research lately. LOL
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member
Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member

14 May 2007, 23:45 #7

Angle @ May 14 2007, 11:40 AM wrote: I don't think Greasers have changed, if you read the book it seems that the most of them run around being anti social, annoying people, robbing people,shop lifting e.c.t. therefore Greasers are still the lower class with no parenting. Okay so maybe they're not as bad as the 600 club (Group of youths under 18 here who are real hardcore Gangsters.) but still anytime I see a gang of youths shopping lifting or cursing cops out of it I think Greasers.
That's my image of a real Greaser too.

I think it's funny, there's a gang here called The Insiders.
Make it worth watching.

Victoria_Curtis
Posts 0
Victoria_Curtis

19 May 2007, 20:28 #8

Cheer up, emo kids!
Emos arent all depressed and we all dont cut. Emo stand for emotional or emotive and stand for the type of music we listen too. and the reason that people think all Emos are depressed is because were quite

We never use the term prep but I'm going to assume its the kids who think thier popular and have alot of money and Emos are like the greasers but so are alot of the other cliques by means of not fitting in and getting picked on and hardly ever getting getting included like Outsiders. And then their are just people who are neutral who are neithier.

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

19 May 2007, 20:42 #9

Jessica Dawn @ May 14 2007, 05:45 PM wrote: That's my image of a real Greaser too.

I think it's funny, there's a gang here called The Insiders.
It's not just me then... I don't know any gangs names here.. don't think there is any really. I mean I only know the real famous one the Westies and actually I was watching a gangster like flim with vince Vaughan(SP) and they mentioned the Westies. I thought geez talk about glorifying a bunch of thugs, they were deadly when crossed.
Also i didn't think anyone outside Ireland and maybe England and Spain knew about them. I think the flim was called Made.

That was off topic but I like to rant every now and again.

Also I'm still really not clear on this Emo thing. I know it was explained before and it still sounds very Goth to me. I dunno.
Any Emo kids here don't kill me please, I've heard you don't like being compared to Goth. I'm sorry
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

19 May 2007, 21:17 #10

Victoria_Curtis @ May 19 2007, 04:28 PM wrote: Emos arent all depressed and we all dont cut. Emo stand for emotional and the reason that people think all Emos are depressed is because were quite.
Um...My screen name on instant messengers and whatnot is CheerUpEmoKid, so it was more or less a joke. =P

There are soooo many definitions of that word, it could mean anything.
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Amy_the_coolest_of_cool
Posts 0
Amy_the_coolest_of_cool

22 May 2007, 20:07 #11

Um...My screen name on instant messengers and whatnot is CheerUpEmoKid, so it was more or less a joke. =P
thats the funniest song ever!!!
Emos arent all depressed and we all dont cut. Emo stand for emotional and the reason that people think all Emos are depressed is because were quite.
wouldnt that just make that person a quite teenager? all teenagers are overly dramatic and over emotional.

Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member
Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member

23 May 2007, 14:19 #12

Angle @ May 19 2007, 03:42 PM wrote: Any Emo kids here don't kill me please, I've heard you don't like being compared to Goth. I'm sorry
LOL!!!! That made me laugh. Really hard. No offense to any emos, though!
Emos arent all depressed and we all dont cut. Emo stand for emotional and the reason that people think all Emos are depressed is because were quite.
Well, I'm quiet.. but I'm not emo.
Emo is a somewhat ambiguous, controversial slang term most frequently used to describe a fashion or subculture which is usually defined to have its roots in punk fashion and subculture, as well as some attributes of gothic fashion and subculture.[1][2] As an adjective, emo can describe fashion, music, or a general state of unhappiness (as in to "feel emo"). Emo is also used as a noun, often pejoratively, to identify someone viewed as fitting a particular stereotype, and is generally used in an insulting manner outside of the subculture.

When referring to a person's personality and attitude, most definitions of emo hold that an "emo person" is candid about their emotions, due to such, they are often defined as any of the following: SONIA sensitive, shy, introverted, glum, and often quiet.[4] Emo personality is also often connected with writing poetry, which addresses confusion, depression, loneliness, and anger, all resulting from the world's inability to understand the author. Emo poetry uses a combination of any of: a highly emotional tone, stream of consciousness writing, a simple (ABAB) or nonexistent rhyme scheme, references to the flesh, especially the heart, heavy use of dark or depressing adjectives, and concern over the mutability of time, love or both. Themes such as life is pain are common.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_(slang)
Make it worth watching.

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

23 May 2007, 15:50 #13

Jessica Dawn,May 23 2007, 08:19 AM wrote:
LOL!!!! That made me laugh. Really hard. No offense to any emos, though!
Well, I'm quiet.. but I'm not emo. QUOTE]

It's true i got called a heathen on myspace for using that comparrassing. (Although I think it was from a goth) I never bothered looking it up I'm lazy like that, but from that they just seem to be a bit of everything. Have to admitt I only read some of it. I'll have to look it off and print it off. I'm no good at sitting at a computer and reading.
(It all still sounds very goth to me.)
Oh I lost my quote thing.

By the way one day all you teenagers will be out of the loop too, LOL
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

23 May 2007, 16:49 #14

Angle @ May 23 2007, 11:50 AM wrote: By the way one day all you teenagers will be out of the loop too, LOL
*biggest hug imaginable*

I love you, Lauren! That was the BEST thing I've heard in a long time!
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Amy_the_coolest_of_cool
Posts 0
Amy_the_coolest_of_cool

23 May 2007, 20:23 #15

is it weird to say that i find emo hair really attractive on guys? :P

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

23 May 2007, 20:47 #16

_stella @ May 23 2007, 10:49 AM wrote: *biggest hug imaginable*

I love you, Lauren! That was the BEST thing I've heard in a long time!
Thanks Julie I love you too? Hey I only state the truth. LOL
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

23 May 2007, 20:49 #17

Ooops that posted twice sorry. Don't know why.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

greaserlove
Posts 0
greaserlove

06 Oct 2007, 17:01 #18

There are preps at my school and greaser girls but the last greaser guy was expelled and now has restraining order...The greaser girls though are REALLY b-tchy. They also talk in really high voices and wear EXTREMELY short skirts. Hold on, I know you're thinking they could still be Socs, but they seriously aren't. One of my sorta friends, Sam, is exactly how I described above and really doesn't have any money or parental guidance.
Other than that, my school does have their Outsiders, but majority of the school is made up of the Prep/Soc population.
Sadly, one from my group is becoming a "soc". She's REALLY rude to me nowadays and treats me like dirt
Honestly, Greasers and Socs are still HUGE in my area.

equestriangurl
Posts 0
equestriangurl

09 Oct 2007, 01:52 #19

To all who think of preps as snobs there not. IM a wicked prep, and my best friend is a emo, she doesnt cut herslef. Im not a snob, and Im not rich m=by anymeans at all.

equestriangurl
Posts 0
equestriangurl

09 Oct 2007, 01:55 #20

Amy_the_coolest_of_cool @ May 23 2007, 01:23 PM wrote: is it weird to say that i find emo hair really attractive on guys? :P
nope cuz i do to!

greaserlove
Posts 0
greaserlove

09 Oct 2007, 04:22 #21

Johnny went emo. :(
Johnny's this kid at my school, and he recently got his hair dyed black by some girl (-cough- former bff) who wanted him to be emo (she had a crush on him). Anyways, she found out Johnny's age and abandoned him. I feel SO terrible for him. Everyone was gathering in a circle around him (I don't know what they were doing, it was too fast...) and a few minutes later the student council was breaking everyone up. His eyes were completely red after. I sat with him for lunch after that, gaining a couple stares from my now "soc" friend. I think she got the wrong idea when I tried to comfort him. Seriously, people have a problem these days and think the wrong thing all the time. I ruffled his hair and said "You'll be okay, kid." but she gave me a really mean look.

I feel so bad for our group of outsiders nowadays. I'm one of them, but I still do what I can to help the others get back on the social ladder.

-jojo-n-soda-
Posts 0
-jojo-n-soda-

09 Jan 2008, 23:45 #22

Emo ppl are so not greasers! emo ppl like cut themselves and everything...and they're all gothic and stuff. Preps are definetly Socs but nowadays you don't see many people in a gang, without being a gangster. At my school the majority are pres and gangsters. They don't hate each other that much though. To be honest, at my school the "clicks" are mostly divided by race. There are spanish gangsters, black gangsters, some white mixed gangsters (me, although I also hang out with the popular preps...not bragging! Im half white and half Dominican so I fit in alot of groups.) but rarely any pure american gangsters. In the preppy group theres everybody, although its divided into popular preps and not popular preps.
There aren't many people nowadays that represent being a greaser because that was in the late 50's and early 60's. Just like the "hippies" faded out in the 80's, since it was just a "phase" in time, the greasers faded out too.

There is also a really really really really tough couple of gangs here too. They're mostly spanish. they're called Crip (blue) and Bloods (red) . There is also one called Los Tres Puntos. I dont know alot about Los Tres Puntos but Crip and Bloods like kill people and sniff and stuff. The worst one in my area is MS13. I hate were i live cuz its like so unsafe to go walking around and stuff cuz stupid MS13 ppl are walking around but you cant really tell were theyll be so...yea. just thought i might share. :)Thats all for now:)

14 Jan 2010, 01:56 #23

Why EMO's arent like Greasers: Emo's fake alot of their problems because they are bored. (what do you think?) but greasers have problems. And Emo, scene, goth is becoming a BIG trend and its suddenly cool to be like that. Alot of the Emo kids are very well off (alo their parents have money. theres some emo kida at my school who live in the rich neighborhoods.)

Greasers, however, DONT have money... if they did, they wouldnt portray them in the book as being poor. And obviously it is not popular to be a Greaser, especially considering what happened to Johnny.

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:31 #24

Yeah I don't think emos can be related to greasers....But I agree 100% that preps are just like socs. Now that I think the preps are socs makes me dislike them even more.
♥Stay Gold♥

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

04 Mar 2010, 00:42 #25

But I agree 100% that preps are just like socs. Now that I think the preps are socs makes me dislike them even more.
I KNOW RIGHT?? The annoyin' preps/jocks I think of as Socs all the time. And unfortunatlely, the majority of my school is all just a buncha wannabe-Socs. I dislike them so much. I don't bother bein' around them unless they're nice. I think I'm a Greaser. Not many in my town AT ALL. They all wanna be 'popular'! It bothers meh. >:(
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders