miguel from portugal
Double Ocarinist x 3
Double Ocarinist x 3

April 22nd, 2014, 2:38 pm #41

lakilester5626 wrote:Double-belled euphonium.
That's a great idea.... I play euphonium but I never had chance to try one of thouse.

Now I'm saving money to pay the new cavaquinho custom made that I order... (again... cavaquinho is the original Ukulele).

In a future I'm thinking on Dulcimer... after someone here had right about that, I become interested.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Triple Ocarinist x 5
Triple Ocarinist x 5

April 22nd, 2014, 4:59 pm #42

Ezuri wrote:Henry what is that thing...
It's called an Otamatone :)
Click my banner to see my DeviantART!
~Here's a link to my SoundCloud~
"Be a Fairuz in a world full of Nancy Ajrams"
[+] Ocarinas I own and wishlist
[+] Ocarinas I own:
:double: Focalink double alto C
:budrio: Pacchioni Arabic Scale
:nobleblack: Noble Bass C
:OoT: 12 hole alto C Songbird replica OoT
:ocarina: 12 hole ICO SG
:pendant: Pure Ocarinas Totoro pendant
:ocarina: Songbird straw-fired Baby Dragon Tooth
:pendant: STL soprano C Rupee
:ocarina: STL plastic 12 hole alto C
:inline: STL 12 hole inline alto C
:ocarina: 10 hole alto C Mano Percussion plastic ocarina
:pendant: 8 hole Peruvian
:ocarina: 6 hole home-made ocarina (made out of a plastic Easter egg, a drinking straw, and tape :lmao: )
[+] Ocarina wishlist:
:nobleblack: Night by Noble
:ocarina: Focalink straw-fired alto C and soprano C
:ocarina: STL/TNG Purple Clay Mini
:ocarina: Pure ocarina in D
:ocarina: Jade Everett ocarina
:aria: Aria (all types)
:ocarina: STL DIY
:inline: Mountain Ocarina in Poly C and G
:focalinkblue: Focalink plastic (undecided on soprano or alto)
:OoT: Tenrai 9 hole replica OoT
:ocarina: Focalink straw-fired Mini G
:ocarina: Noble Mini
:ocarina: Takashi (possibly 6F or 7C?)
:fairyoc: Spencer Fairy Ocarina

_Henry_
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

April 22nd, 2014, 6:32 pm #43

Yep! they are ridiculous but amazing haha
[+] My Instruments
Fender DG-8 steel string guitar
Yamaha G-60 nylon string guitar
Greg Bennett RL2 semi-hollow electric guitar
Kentucky KM-280 mandolin
Lanikai LFM concert ukulele
violin my great-grandfather made
various harmonicas
tin whistle
bagpipe chanter
Dinda AC
Tenrai Pendant
My name's Henry, I'm 23 years old. I love film, a couple of my favorites are City of God and Pulp Fiction.
I've been doing photography seriously for about 9 years, and hope to go into photojournalism or something similar.
I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now, and keep picking up other instruments along the way c:

Ocarinadiva
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

April 22nd, 2014, 6:48 pm #44

I'm planning to get a concert flute again later this year. I had one when I was in middle school, but it's lost in my parents' house somewhere, and I don't think I'll ever find it again. I love the ocarina, but for some things that don't work very well for the ocarina, it would be nice to have another option. I've considered the recorder, but I like the sound of the flute better. It makes sense to stick with flute, because I also play tin whistle and native flute.

Shop ? Newsletter ? Youtube ? Facebook ? Twitter

STL Contractor: I make ocarina product overviews and design ocarinas.

[/color]
[/color][/color]

Robert Hickman
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

April 22nd, 2014, 7:33 pm #45

Ocarinadiva wrote:I'm planning to get a concert flute again later this year. I had one when I was in middle school, but it's lost in my parents' house somewhere, and I don't think I'll ever find it again. I love the ocarina, but for some things that don't work very well for the ocarina, it would be nice to have another option. I've considered the recorder, but I like the sound of the flute better. It makes sense to stick with flute, because I also play tin whistle and native flute.
I find the same thing, flute is a lot easier to play chromatically and (at least personally) the range is far easier to access than dealing with polychamber ocarinas.

I'm sure you would be very good at flute.

Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

April 22nd, 2014, 9:51 pm #46

I heard an electric bass viol demonstrated at the Greenwich early music festival in 2012. It has terrific potential but costs a bundle.

I went to a two-day class on Turkish classical music last weekend, taking several instruments, and ended up using the tenor recorder most of the time, precisely because it's far better at chromaticism than a concert flute. You can finger most of the microtones you need for that music and know exactly what pitch you'll get. In some ways the ocarina is even more flexible, but you lose too much dynamic variation for it to work in most ensembles.

ocarinacaro
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

April 22nd, 2014, 10:26 pm #47

Jack Campin wrote:I heard an electric bass viol demonstrated at the Greenwich early music festival in 2012. It has terrific potential but costs a bundle.

I went to a two-day class on Turkish classical music last weekend, taking several instruments, and ended up using the tenor recorder most of the time, precisely because it's far better at chromaticism than a concert flute. You can finger most of the microtones you need for that music and know exactly what pitch you'll get. In some ways the ocarina is even more flexible, but you lose too much dynamic variation for it to work in most ensembles.
Are you sure? With the concert flute we can play all the 13 chromatic notes from C scale in 2 seconds, I'm sure it's easier to play flight of the bumblebee with the concert flute than the tenor recorder. For the pitch, the open holes concert flute is even better with a more stable breath requirement.
Last edited by ocarinacaro on April 22nd, 2014, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

April 23rd, 2014, 7:19 am #48

Try playing B one Pythagorean comma flat of equal temperament (the pitch it has in the Turkish ussak mode). Easy on a recorder, needs tricky embouchure manipulation on the flute.

Speed in passagework is just a matter of practice.

Traeak
Double Ocarinist x 5
Double Ocarinist x 5

April 23rd, 2014, 7:10 pm #49

I found on ebay several vendors selling 6 string electric cellos. I would certainly consider tuning it like a bass viol: 4ths with a 3rd in the middle. Need to narrow down some strings, I see mention of people using flatwound bass strings...

yesterday aftermy daughter's piano lesson we dropped by the local GC (unfortunately within 10 minutes of closing). I saw a used 5 string squier p bass special: a precision bass body with 5 strings, 18 or 19mm string spacing (very fat) and jazz bass pickups. It's a sort of strange beast but I think I can't pass this one up, just need to test drive it first.

And sorry, 5ths do NOT rule :-p
Last edited by Traeak on April 23rd, 2014, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[+] Ocarina Companions
:pendant: Focalink taichi strawfire pendant
:inline: Mountain poly red G, green and gray C, warmstone G
:ocarina: Dinda AC
:ocarina: Noble black plastic AC
:ocarina: Night by Noble ivory plastic AC
:double: Focalink dolce double AC
:double: STL Zelda ceramic double AC
:double: STL Zelda plastic double AC (car ocarina)
:ocarina: Zin purple plastic tenor BC
[+] Other Instruments
xaphoon pocket sax
yamaha p22 upright, casio px150
melodicas: schoenhut 37, hohner instructor 32
ukuleles: martin OXK, concert fluke, schoenhut pt5400, rubin sopranino
feadog original tin whistle
Gretsch junior jet bass g2202, hadean omega ubass defretted, ampeg ba108

DarkAlchemist
Double Ocarinist x 4
Double Ocarinist x 4

April 23rd, 2014, 8:10 pm #50

@Traeak about 6 string cello: Would you be primarily playing it pizz or with the bow? I've found that with the 5 string it's a bit more difficult to bow because there's less room between strings. I was originally planning on getting a 6 string cello but went with the 5 string instead because I just didn't care for how the high E string sounded. After seeing first hand how close the 5 string strings are, I can't imagine even less spacing with the 6 string.
HEIL BATCHINT!

3DS Friend Code: 2878-9620-9497
[+] My Instruments
NS NXT5 Cello
Oscar Schmidt OU 2E Concert Acoustic-Electric Ukulele
Risa LP-style Electric Tenor ukulele in Cherry Sunburst
Pono MC Concert and MS Soprano ukuleles
Various Ocarinas