What else do you play?

Robert Hickman
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

November 10th, 2014, 7:16 pm #1

What other instruments can you play besides ocarina?

I play boehm system flute, and started 'messing around' with fiddle in the last few months. Also started learning 'French style' bagpipes but don't have a set at the moment.

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

November 10th, 2014, 7:21 pm #2

I just started playing Native American Flute this past weekend. I like it. But for the music I want to play, I wish there were flutes tuned to pentatonic major scale though. I'm sure they exist. I haven't really searched.
Last edited by Mark Chan on November 10th, 2014, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

November 10th, 2014, 7:26 pm #3

wrote:I wish there were flutes tuned to pentatonic major scale though.
I think that's what the "Choroi" used by the Steiner/Waldorf schools is. I tried one once and hated it.

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

November 10th, 2014, 7:32 pm #4

Jack Campin wrote:I think that's what the "Choroi" used by the Steiner/Waldorf schools is. I tried one once and hated it.
I searched for videos on YouTube, and they seem pretty cool. :)

Robert Hickman
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

November 10th, 2014, 7:35 pm #5

Mark Chan wrote:I just started playing Native American Flute this past weekend. I like it. But for the music I want to play, I wish there were flutes tuned to pentatonic major scale though. I'm sure they exist. I haven't really searched.
What's the tradition of the music behind them and how are they tuned? Is it standardized or vary between makers?

Don't remember running into one in the UK, guess it hasn't spread much beyond America yet.

Gyzyn
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

November 10th, 2014, 7:38 pm #6

Digital-piano/synthesizer, recorder, and barely tranverse flute.

Ocarinadiva
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

November 10th, 2014, 7:40 pm #7

I dabble a bit on the tin whistle, native flute, dizi and bawu. I have a pan flute, but I don't think I'll ever get the hang of it. Most of my native flutes are tuned to a minor pentatonic scale, but I also have one that is tuned to a Persian scale, and another one called an Akebono flute that sounds like traditional Japanese music. They're both a lot of fun to improv with.
Last edited by Ocarinadiva on November 10th, 2014, 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shop ? Newsletter ? Youtube ? Facebook ? Twitter

STL Contractor: I make ocarina product overviews and design ocarinas.

[/color]
[/color][/color]

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

November 10th, 2014, 7:41 pm #8

Robert Hickman wrote:What's the tradition of the music behind them and how are they tuned? Is it standardized or vary between makers?

Don't remember running into one in the UK, guess it hasn't spread much beyond America yet.
The one I have is tuned to pentatonic A minor. Other tunings are generally in minor scales for the fingering system that my flute uses. I have the one where the left ring finger stays down.

There are different types of flutes that use a different system and scale too. I don't know too much about those.

I'll bring one with me to Budrio. :)
Last edited by Mark Chan on November 10th, 2014, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lydia Sanders
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Inline Ocarinist x 3

November 10th, 2014, 7:47 pm #9

I play recorders and I guess I play the ukulele too. It's been quite awhile since I spent much time with it and I've been thinking about selling it (not the one in my profile pic---got rid of that one a long time ago), but thus far I've been too lazy to get a listing up anywhere. :o What I like about playing both the recorder and the ocarina is that even when I play one exclusively for quite awhile, when I come back to the other, I don't seem to have lost too much skill, unlike the ukulele which is inherently pretty different. Thinking I might pick up a tin whistle soon. :D
Last edited by Lydia Sanders on November 10th, 2014, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

November 10th, 2014, 8:12 pm #10

I play a lot of things (described them elsewhere) but my latest project is a very cheap Turkish cumbus-bodied mandolin, retuned the same way as the violin in Arabic music (G,DGd) - sounds much better with the open strings ringing in fifths. I got the idea after finding a tutor for the Arabic violin on the web. I'm just taking the bowing directions as instructions for pick direction. It's a heck of a good tutor, the exercises look dead easy but you soon find out different when you actually try to do them.