Spacefood
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

November 11th, 2014, 11:43 pm #31

I play guitar and bass, I used to play mandolin a bit too, but haven't done that in a while - May be time to dust it off! Also noodle about on recorder and tin whistle.

Pat Anderson
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

November 12th, 2014, 3:30 am #32

Mark Chan wrote:I just started playing Native American Flute this past weekend. I like it. But for the music I want to play, I wish there were flutes tuned to pentatonic major scale though. I'm sure they exist. I haven't really searched.
Mark, you may not have found flutopedia.com yet. I forwarded the last email newsletter to you, it discussed pentatonic major scales (not instruments tuned that way, but how you play a standard 6 hole NAF to obtain a variety of scales).
I play, and have played for 50+ years, guitar, electric bass and recorder. I also now play my Becker whistles (high D, high C, alto G, and low D), getting better at it all the time. I have, but would not say I play (rather play around with) a mandolin, a Native American flute, a melodica and a washboard!
I play, and have played for 50+ years, guitar, electric bass and recorder. I also now play my Becker whistles (high D, high C, alto G, and low D), getting better at it all the time. I have, but would not say I play (rather play around with) a mandolin, a Native American flute, a melodica and a washboard!
Last edited by Pat Anderson on November 12th, 2014, 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harp Player
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

November 12th, 2014, 8:30 am #33

I guess I am musically deprived the only other thing I play is the harmonica. I have noodled a bit on the recorder, and I tried the plastic version of the xaphoon with no luck.

I have looked at a that guy on TV that sells lead sheet piano lessons a few times but never took the bait. I have always loved the piano but never could quite figure it out.

NinjaCurlyfry
Beginner
Beginner

November 12th, 2014, 1:55 pm #34

Well, my main instrument is piano. Next comes ocarina, then drums. I also play many other instrument such as dizi, some recorder, a bit of guitar, a bit of mandolin, and lots of other percussion instruments. I am also learning the violin. I'm not very good, but at least good enough to record a bit. ^-^ Really though, it all stems from learning piano. After playing piano since I was younger, I learned about rhythm (drumming). I also did theory which helped a bit with time signature and understanding what music is, but with every other instrument besides piano and guitar, I have learned them by ear. I would play what sounds good to me. I would pick out songs from video games and play them.

lakilester5626
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

November 12th, 2014, 2:04 pm #35

I dabble in everything, but I consider myself good at the euphonium, the bass guitar, and the ocarina.
HAIL BATCHINT!

Robert Hickman
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

November 12th, 2014, 5:01 pm #36

Harp Player wrote:I guess I am musically deprived the only other thing I play is the harmonica. I have noodled a bit on the recorder, and I tried the plastic version of the xaphoon with no luck.

I have looked at a that guy on TV that sells lead sheet piano lessons a few times but never took the bait. I have always loved the piano but never could quite figure it out.
Harmonica is fine, easy to carry around and great for playing with other people.

Re piano, you'd be best learning from a real-life teacher in person, they can adapt things to you.
Last edited by Robert Hickman on November 12th, 2014, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vagabond Satyr
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Transverse Ocarinist x 5

November 12th, 2014, 5:05 pm #37

Primarily, I play piano. Besides the ocarina, I also play around with the shakuhachi. I have tin whistles and a pan flute, but don't use them much. I want to get back into violin eventually. I also want to acquire a bowed psaltery and maybe a pixie harp. :3
"Wherever you go, go with all your heart." ~Confucius
O' Pettirosso: Artistry and Musical Musings of Noelle Marie

miguel from portugal
Double Ocarinist x 3
Double Ocarinist x 3

November 12th, 2014, 5:47 pm #38

Euphonium
Baritone
Tuba

Recorder (specially alto and bass)
Tin whistle
low whistle
galician bagpipes
portuguese smallpipes
bombard

mandolin
cavaquinho
braguesa

Robert Hickman
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

November 13th, 2014, 10:55 am #39

miguel from portugal wrote:Euphonium
Baritone
Tuba

Recorder (specially alto and bass)
Tin whistle
low whistle
galician bagpipes
portuguese smallpipes
bombard

mandolin
cavaquinho
braguesa
Are bagpipes more common in Portugal?

miguel from portugal
Double Ocarinist x 3
Double Ocarinist x 3

November 13th, 2014, 1:05 pm #40

Yes... We have a great tradition of bagpipes in Portugal and North Spain.
A bagpipe just with one drone and a half drone.
Tuned in C or tuned in Bb.