Rughead
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

November 10th, 2014, 9:00 pm #11

I play the euphonium, many kinds of flutes, bamboo sax, a little of the pan flute, very little of several kinds of harmonicas, some recorder, and my Irish whistles.

I have more types of flutes than I can possibly remember the names of. Crystal, wood, stone, etc. Many I purchased from:

http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/

Erik only sells a few types now compared to all the types he used to sell. I'm really not that great at any of the instruments I have. :) Just discovered the ocarina this last February. Now I have at least 10 of them. I really like the ocarina. So many different kinds, and so easy to carry around with you. Much easier than my euphonium!! :) I have many, many harmonicas if anyone is looking for one. :) Oh, I also have a giant flute. I mean it is big! I can only play a few notes before having to take another breath. Usually only 3 notes. A great lung workout. :) Hmm, I also have a concertina, a violin, a pocket trumpet, a slide whistle...and whatever else I am unable to remember at present. Hardly ever play the last set I just mentioned. No one has ever showed me a thing concerning the violin, so really never got started on it. I bought it for my daughter anyway, but she never plays it. Oh, I also have an organ, digital keyboard, and a melodica. I think that is about it. I need to have a yard sale?? :)

Curtis

"Therefore my harp is turned to mourning, And my flute to the sound of those who weep." (Job 30:31)

http://www.inthebeginning.com

Robert Hickman
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

November 10th, 2014, 9:02 pm #12

@Gyzyn What kinds of things do you like to play on them?

@Ocarinadiva Had completely forgotten about the bawu, they have an unusual tonal character that sounds distinctly 'Chinese' to me. Do the overblown notes need unusual fingerings? wikipedia suggests that they have an unusual harmonic series. The NAF does appear to be a mainly improv-based tradition. Having the selection of scales must give a lot of freedom to tonal character.

@Mark Chan Minor pentatonic is good, it's used a lot in guitar improv. Will be good to see one in person.

@mssnrygrl Why not give the uke another chance? It is really useful to have something to acompny yourself, even if it's just basic strumming. If you learn how chords and melodies relate, it's not so different. Being able to think relitive to chords is actually verry useful to transfer back to melody instruments as it helps with improvising.

@jack You mean having notes duplicated on open strings? And what looks easy often isn't. Where is this tutor?

@Rughead no harm in playing lots of instruments, I find it useful to do so as it gives you a different perspective on things which may then be applied to your 'main' instrument. Would that be the euphonium? I haven't found the fiddle as 'insanely difficult' as it's often made out to be, as long as you have a good sense of pitch you should be able to figure out where the notes are. Also there is a lot of info on youtube.
Last edited by Robert Hickman on November 10th, 2014, 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

November 10th, 2014, 9:16 pm #13

Yep, the sound of that mandolin is rather too clangorous tuned the standard way. The effect of lowering the pitch of the upper two strings helps, as well as the greater consonance.

I posted links to the tutor here:

http://thesession.org/discussions/28869

It's not very long and it's nearly all notation, the fact that the text is in Arabic (which I don't read) makes very little difference.

I've never heard of anybody else from any tradition using that tuning on the mando, though the South Indian classical mandolinist U Srinivas uses a five-string extension of it (single courses, fretless). I might get round to defretting it someday.

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

November 10th, 2014, 9:24 pm #14

Robert Hickman wrote:@Mark Chan Minor pentatonic is good, it's used a lot in guitar improv. Will be good to see one in person.
I was literally just improving to blues guitar backtrack; and it sounds so awesome!
I'm playing different types of music now, so it's a good thing. :)
I originally wanted to play traditional Chinese music; but the NAF opened up my perspective.

Gnomeish
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

November 10th, 2014, 9:40 pm #15

I have a soprano uke and an acoustic guitar; neither of which I can actually play much of anything on. I like the idea of a string instrument, but in practice it's just not my thing.

I also have a couple tin whistles that I adore. I love to improve on my ghost whistle and it has such a unique sound to it. They make me want to learn how to play an actual flute, but the tin whistle's price is just a *tad* bit more in my range ;)

I've also wanted a kalimba for ages now. Again, a little too pricey for me.
Last edited by Gnomeish on November 10th, 2014, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not good at making Signatures." - Greg

My Ocarinas/Instruments:
[+] Spoiler
  • STL Zelda Tenor
  • STL Rupee Tenor (Purple)
  • Tecarina (Blue/Black)
  • Dragon Tooth (Luster)
  • Baby Dragon Tooth (Luster)
  • Zin Rainbow Plastic AC
  • Arlene Hayward Pendant
  • TNG Double (Blue)
  • Aria SG
  • Mountain Ocarina, WarmStone in G
  • Hind Wooden 4-hole Kit
  • ICO Double Alto G
  • Makala Dolphin Soprano Ukulele (Baby Blue)
  • Clarke Meg Tin Whistle in C
  • Parks Ghost Whistle

Lydia Sanders
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Inline Ocarinist x 3

November 10th, 2014, 10:10 pm #16

Robert Hickman wrote:@mssnrygrl Why not give the uke another chance? It is really useful to have something to acompny yourself, even if it's just basic strumming. If you learn how chords and melodies relate, it's not so different. Being able to think relitive to chords is actually verry useful to transfer back to melody instruments as it helps with improvising.
I've been playing it off and on for maybe three and a half years now. It might be useful yet, but I'm kind of obsessive about cleaning out my stuff when I don't use them for a long time and playing music is kind of a secondary hobby for me anyway. Recently I've been working on cleaning out my hobbies as well and trimming back on things that I'm not passionate about, like I put all of the potted plants on my porch up for adoption and gave away my bizarre collection of secondhand gardening books. Gardening isn't bad or useless, but for me it just wasn't worth the time and energy that I could have been putting into something else that I care about more. I'm prone to collecting random cool hobbies to the point that I can't put as much energy as I want into the things that really matter to me or I get super distracted or something. It's like people tell me "it'll just take ten minutes a day to do X" and I'm like "Oh, I can do that," and then all of those little ten minute things add up and cause more bad than good overall. Maybe I'm not making any sense here, but I tried. :3
Gnomeish wrote:I like the idea of a string instrument, but in practice it's just not my thing.
Haha. Me too. I'm not bad at ukulele but it just isn't my cup of tea. I've come to the conclusion that the thing that draws me to instruments like the ukulele and the guitar aren't the instruments themselves, but that you can sing while playing them. Though weirdly enough I find that I'm most likely to pull out my uke when I'm sick and can't play fipple flutes because of coughing...which is when I can't really sing without coughing either.
Last edited by Lydia Sanders on November 10th, 2014, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Triple Ocarinist x 5
Triple Ocarinist x 5

November 10th, 2014, 11:00 pm #17

Other than ocarina, I play durbakke (a.k.a. darbuka/doumbek). Both my ocarina and durbakke playing could use some work, but it's hard to practice either when your family would prefer the house was quiet. I could go out in the backyard, but I'd rather the neighbours didn't overhear me, even if I went waaay out to the very back of our property away from the houses.

I also noodle around a bit on tin whistle (have one in D and one in C, but I like the D whistle far better), recorder, and dizi, but have very little skill on any of those things.

I own a qanun, but haven't been able to play it yet because I need a new set of tuning pegs for it, and finding qanun teachers requires a 1+hour drive. I'm dying to buy and learn to play a nay, but haven't been having much luck finding a decent one for sale, or local/online players to ask about buying one; any emails I've sent out about it so far have been ignored, or unsuccessful. The one place I've found that actively sells what seems to be decent nays hasn't got them in a tuning I'd like yet, and they're charging a bit much for them, but I think I might just give in at some point and get one from there...
Last edited by hylian_shieldmaiden on November 10th, 2014, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click my banner to see my DeviantART!
~Here's a link to my SoundCloud~
"Be a Fairuz in a world full of Nancy Ajrams"
[+] Ocarinas I own and wishlist
[+] Ocarinas I own:
:double: Focalink double alto C
:budrio: Pacchioni Arabic Scale
:nobleblack: Noble Bass C
:OoT: 12 hole alto C Songbird replica OoT
:ocarina: 12 hole ICO SG
:pendant: Pure Ocarinas Totoro pendant
:ocarina: Songbird straw-fired Baby Dragon Tooth
:pendant: STL soprano C Rupee
:ocarina: STL plastic 12 hole alto C
:inline: STL 12 hole inline alto C
:ocarina: 10 hole alto C Mano Percussion plastic ocarina
:pendant: 8 hole Peruvian
:ocarina: 6 hole home-made ocarina (made out of a plastic Easter egg, a drinking straw, and tape :lmao: )
[+] Ocarina wishlist:
:nobleblack: Night by Noble
:ocarina: Focalink straw-fired alto C and soprano C
:ocarina: STL/TNG Purple Clay Mini
:ocarina: Pure ocarina in D
:ocarina: Jade Everett ocarina
:aria: Aria (all types)
:ocarina: STL DIY
:inline: Mountain Ocarina in Poly C and G
:focalinkblue: Focalink plastic (undecided on soprano or alto)
:OoT: Tenrai 9 hole replica OoT
:ocarina: Focalink straw-fired Mini G
:ocarina: Noble Mini
:ocarina: Takashi (possibly 6F or 7C?)
:fairyoc: Spencer Fairy Ocarina

JOJ650s
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

November 10th, 2014, 11:00 pm #18

I play the piano/keyboard, and while I haven't quite started yet, I plan on playing the dizi and also the concert flute since I was given one. (just need to replace the pads is all.)
I would also love to learn the violin, but I don't see myself starting to learn it in the near future.
"Be part of the answer, not part of the problem."

Click on the picture above for a wagon of tabs, or click the image to the right for some sheet music. :D

Robert Hickman
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

November 10th, 2014, 11:15 pm #19

@mssnrygrl Rather the same myself, at least in the sense of getting distracted *really* easily. Don't tend to stick with anything unless something beyond myself effectively forces me to. Not that I don't enjoy things, mainly because I find everything interesting.

@hylian any time you can practice when they arn't around?

@joj650s Get someone who knows what they are doing to repad the flute, learning to play on an 'iffy' instrument isn't a good idea.

JOJ650s
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

November 10th, 2014, 11:25 pm #20

Robert Hickman wrote:@joj650s Get someone who knows what they are doing to repad the flute, learning to play on an 'iffy' instrument isn't a good idea.
Haha yeah, for sure.
Fortunately I know someone who's quite experienced with that. :D
"Be part of the answer, not part of the problem."

Click on the picture above for a wagon of tabs, or click the image to the right for some sheet music. :D