Vibrato

Pandaman
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

June 8th, 2008, 7:15 pm #1

So I heard from most of the videos on youtube that a bunch of you have vibrato pretty much under control.... Just how the heck do you do it? I tried lots of things, but it never comes out as the smooth vibrato I hear in the vids... Mine sounds all jumpy and icky, to be honest it sounds a lot worse than just regular playing... You guys have any tips?
Chopperman to the rescue!

DeepRed
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
DeepRed
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

June 8th, 2008, 8:18 pm #2

Is that the 'humming' effect? I'd love to get that one pinned down too......

Deleted User
Deleted User

June 8th, 2008, 8:53 pm #3

It is best to post examples of what you are trying to achieve.

Myung
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

June 8th, 2008, 9:14 pm #4

Yeah same here, I would love to learn "vibrato"
It might help if I actually knew what it sounds like though.
And ofcourse how to (re)produce it. -_-

Ocarikun18
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

June 8th, 2008, 9:47 pm #5

Vibrato is the wavering sound that singers and wind players do as a sort of accentuation. Usually done on long notes and stuff. At first I thought it was just a matter of constricting and relaxing the esophagus, but when I tried it was more staccato -_- and sounded icky. So yeah, I really hope someone could give tips on how to do it right (share your :zelda: :triforce: )
Je viendrai te prendre, je saurai te defendre au dela des frontieres je foulerai la terre

proud TONian (c) shadowyi :D

Deleted User
Deleted User

June 8th, 2008, 10:43 pm #6

I can trill just fine.

shadowyi
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

June 8th, 2008, 11:05 pm #7

I'll do some shameless self promotion here and post my latest one as an example: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WbpiKKW0XE4

I'm not sure how I developed it, it can naturally after years of singing and flute playing. But to describe what I do, it's a very finely controlled vibrating of your throat, the part of your soft palate that it above the end (not the tip!) of your tongue. I use the base of my tongue to vibrate, making it 'pulse' and also carefully controlling my air.

Designed by Jacob. TONian!

Small sheet music update! Find them at Shadow's sheets!
Shadow's Pokemon-esque music story is being revised! (no new updates yet) Click here!

kissing
Site Admin

June 9th, 2008, 3:05 am #8

It's a skill that you have to develop over a long period of time. You have to keep reminding yourself that you're trying to learn to vibrato. A good way is to listen to the vibrato of others and try to replicate that sound in your own way. Because in truth, everyone produces tone differently and thus have a different way of vibrato-ing (this applies to singers too, since all have unique voice).

It took me a while to get used to vibrato as well. I got it from my experience with singing (I'm not a good singer, but I enjoy it very much and try my best to sing heartily) and trumpet.

With improved breath control and familiarity with the variability of the ocarina, hopefully vibrato will become like second nature. I'm actually not sure "how" I do it, because I just do it as it was a result of much experimentation and adaptation. But it is basically what Shadowyi described (OMG SHE'S IN THE VIDEO O_O!!!).

I don't use the tongue that much, it's mainly a combination of controlling the air source (diaphragm, or air in your "tummy") and leaving your throat wide opened/relaxed. I have had 2 ways of vibratoing - I used to really constrict my throat and use my throat a lot, but I have changed my methods since that didn't create the sound I wanted.

Musical technique is something that constantly changes and improves over the lifetime :D

The basics of it is good breathing technique, and as long as you keep striving to achieve it, you will achieve it!

Here is some performance advice from Kenji
http://www.fl-oca.com/eng/ocarina3.htm
He emphasising mastering the resonating technique to control the ocarina's tone, and I agree with him :D
Last edited by kissing on June 9th, 2008, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowyi
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

June 9th, 2008, 4:26 am #9

wrote:A good way is to listen to the vibrato of others and try to replicate that sound in your own way.
Oh yes I definitely agree. That was how I originally picked it up as well, no wonder I couldn't really explain it. :D I'll emphasize kissing's point to breath from your diaphragm, don't just take shallow breaths with your lungs. You won't be able to play songs beautifully that way.

Designed by Jacob. TONian!

Small sheet music update! Find them at Shadow's sheets!
Shadow's Pokemon-esque music story is being revised! (no new updates yet) Click here!

Pandaman
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

June 9th, 2008, 7:23 am #10

It sounds so difficult T.T Thanks for all the advice though guys!
Chopperman to the rescue!