Forum rules
TON Updates and more! Administrators will inform you about important changes or updates regarding the board system, Guidelines or anything related to TON.

United States Ocarina Association

carbon
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

November 1st, 2013, 6:31 pm #1

For a long while Cris Gale and I have been discussing starting an ocarina association. We talked at length about bringing not only ocarina players together, but entire communities from around the world. This IS achievable, but it's going to take a good bit of work and coordination. Right now we're just establishing the United States Ocarina Association, but we hope to add partner organizations in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan soon. We also hope to help start chapters around the country. David Ramos' idea of guilds was a good idea, but I think the word "guild" kind of makes people think it is exclusive or that there are rules. We are also working on free resources to give to chapters to make it less daunting of an undertaking. The DFW Ocarina Guild is now the DFW Ocarina Association - sounds snazzy huh?

In addition to that, Cris is working on a free method book. I've been working on the website and have put a structure in place that should work in many languages and allow it to grow as needed. I have plans for a catalog for sheet music that works something like the Ocarina Catalog. Of course, we're working on next year's festival. I think the term "festival" is more fitting and appropriate. Also, partnering with other organizations is much easier when they're working on an ocarina festival, not just a "meetup".

Here's the website : http://ocarinaassociation.org

If you want to help, sign up for the mailing list and pick the option that best describes how you'd like to help. As you can plainly see, I'm not too good at web graphics/artsy stuff. Also, if you have any feedback or advice, we're all ears.

I'd also like to note that such a thing is not possible without a community like TON. Everything has to start somewhere and the efforts of the TON administrators and many people in this community have made even starting the Ocarina Association possible. Simply being here and helping "noobs" on a day to day basis is an amazing contribution.

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

November 1st, 2013, 7:05 pm #2

Good luck with your efforts Jon. One of the obstacles many of us ocarinists face is the feeling of isolation we have since there are so few of us in our communities. If you and Cris can help people find a way to connect with each other, that will be a great start. :)
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer

carbon
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

November 1st, 2013, 7:14 pm #3

That's someone we're working on. Also, it isn't just Cris and I. We've also enlisted the help of Cornell Kinderknecht too. He's a very talented ocarinist that plays NCWs. He also has a TON of experience working with charities and is very keen to help. We are also open to adding more team members, both locally and virtually.

We have some plans to try to make it easier for ocarina enthusiasts to find each other. It's going to take some time, but I think we can do it. The main thing right now is just getting the word out and getting signups on the mailing list. The mailing list has a location field and the larger it gets, the better the chance of connecting people.

decrotie2004
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Transverse Ocarinist x 5

November 1st, 2013, 7:38 pm #4

I have signed up for the mailing list and would love to help in what ways I can. I have very little Musical background but I have great people skills and I love free styling on my ocarina. let me know either in a pm or email how I can help. my email is johndecrotie@hotmail.com
[+] Ocarinas I own:
:OoT: 12 hole AC, STL OoT
6 hole AC STL green Rupee
:focalinkblue: 12 hole AC Bravura/Focalink skyblue "Navi"
:focalinkgreen: 12 hole SC Focalink green "tinkerbell"

FrozenNorth
Inline Ocarinist x 5
Inline Ocarinist x 5

November 2nd, 2013, 12:47 am #5

I signed up, too. If there was ever a gathering in Minnesota/South Dakota/North Dakota/Manitoba, I would be happy to attend.

aniki91344
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

November 2nd, 2013, 2:48 am #6

What exactly does it mean to "start a chapter"?

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

November 2nd, 2013, 3:32 am #7

Cool! I was also wondering what starting a chapter meant. I was thinking that chapter may be a synonym for group or division.

Pat Anderson
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

November 2nd, 2013, 4:41 am #8

I am signed up for the mailing list, and volunteered to start a chapter, whether it be the Northwest chapter, Washington State chapter or Whatcom County chapter, whatever, I am ready to go! Connecting with others in person is so great, I was SO happy to have been able to be at the Big D Big Ocarina Meetup. We just need to be able to do that countywide, statewide, regionally, or whatever it takes ! Thanks, Jon and Cris!!!!
Last edited by Pat Anderson on November 2nd, 2013, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

carbon
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

November 2nd, 2013, 8:57 am #9

There was a problem with the menu system on the website that I just fixed. Now Chapters has a drop-down that shows the sub-items.

Here's what we wrote for the website :
wrote:A chapter is an ocarina meetup group. We use the term chapters because rather than thinking each meetup group as a separate entity, we want to consider them parts of a whole. The idea is that we are all working together to make each of our chapters better, as well as promoting the goals of the entire association.
Thanks for signing up Pat. Send me or Cris an email with your contact information for the chapter page and I'll add you. You can encompass as large of an area you'd like, though I'd try to keep it within a distance that people would willingly drive.

For everyone that's signed up to help and to start chapters, I'll be in touch soon. I'm currently developing a system that will allow chapters to update their own information and maybe even have an all chapter blog and calendar. As more people become active, we'll add new features as needed. For people that have volunteered to write articles, I'm working on a system for signups to the website too. These updates will take time and there will be a staged rollout. The site launched today, but I don't think it will be finished for some time - if ever.

Wollemi Pine
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

November 2nd, 2013, 4:29 pm #10

Great idea! You should tap into the existing ocarina guilds that David Ramos has started.
[+] Some Ocarinas I Own

Multi-Chamber Ocarinas
Pacchioni Tripla-P C5 (Bass)
Triple Huaca
Bon Solist Triple
Dinda Double AC
Dinda Triple AC
Maparam Triple

Transverse Ocarinas (Sweet Potato)
:aria: Aria, Tenor C
Aria, Alto G
:muse: Songbird Muse (Eb & F)
Songbird Dragon Tooth, 13-hole (D)
Zin: Soprano C, Tenor C (Bass)
Hamlett, Alto C
Epicai Crab Claw (E)

Spoony AC
CJ AC
Dreambirth Abstract Bass
Robert Hickman AC

Inline Ocarinas
Hind Tenor F
Mountain Aluminum G

Pendant Ocarinas
Whistleworks Killer Whale
STL Mouse

Vintage Ocarinas
:oldoc: Fiehn: C1, B2, E4.5, D5 (1877 stamp), C6, A7.5, G9, C13, G17
:budrio: Chiesa
:budrio: Canella
:oldoc: Teschner
:oldoc: Old Glory: C, G
:oldoc: Gretsch: C, G
:oldoc: EWA: F
:oldoc: Guido Bondi (GB)
:oldoc: Hopf
:oldoc: Reform
:oldoc: Missnia
:oldoc: "Original"
:oldoc: Mathieu (metal)
:oldoc: Waterbury

Broken Ocarinas
:brokenoc: None!
[+] Wish List

:budrio: Vintage Ocarinas (PM me if you have any for sale)
Maparam Ocarinas (PM me if you have one for sale)
fm12692's Bass
Hind Double Sweet Potato
Ocflute
Woodsound
Spencer Double
Pacchioni Classic & Quadrupla-P
Focalink AC Triple Forte
Gosselink
Menaglio Do 7
Purple Clay Triple
Osawa Forte Triple
ABC Notation Primer Guide - Learn how to easily create sheet music and ocarina tabs