Tutorial 1 ~ Molds

Panch
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

August 16th, 2008, 7:02 pm #1

My first tutorial isn't much of one, really. This is the first time I've ever made molds of this type, and I will take photos to post here with narration, so that other ocarina makers can follow my technique!

This is a method of creating aligned molds which can be used as slip-casting molds with neccessary modifications!

PROS:
- It is perfectly aligned. When you press rolled clay into this mold, you won't have to dig them out to hand-join the halves. Instead, you press the molds together! Using a regular, unaligned push-mold and joining them by hand puts you at risk of bumping the ocarina out of shape! This can be harmful to your ocarinas appearance and even worse for your tuning!
- With some modification, you can make this into a slip-casting mold! To use this kind of mold, clay slip is poured in, filling the mold completely. As the plaster draws out the slip, it creates a hollow in the middle of the form, making them perfect for ocarinas!
- You save a LOT of time making ocarinas with this mold!

CONS:
- They are a LOT harder to make...

Now, lets get started! ^^

Requirements:
- Clay
- Flexible cardboard
- Sticky/Masking tape
- Smooth surface to work on
- Knife (I used a boxcutter)
- Plaster
- Oil

*WARNING! NOT AS EASY OR QUICK AS IT LOOKS!*

Everyone ready? Great! ^^

You may or may not notice, but even though it looks as though I'm working on the carpet, I'm actually doing my stuff on a glass sheet OVER carpet. Use a smooth surface, guys. You'll be happier people.

First, I started to make the shape of my ocarina from clay! Make it larger than the size of what you want your end result to be (check shrinkage percentages of your clay to estimate)! Take care in making this... this is what all your ocarinas from this mold will look like!

Sit your ocarina so that it's centerpoint runs horizontally! I used a clay platform to help it get steady. Make sure that it's as perfectly positioned as possible!

Now, CAREFULLY make clay walls around it. It's edges touching the ocarina body itself without denting it! This is a really hard part! Make sure the clay walls only go up halfway the ocarina, touching it's widest point, otherwise you'll have trouble getting it out of the mold! I used a knife to make the walls as flat on top as I can.

Now, I've taken some sheets of bendy cardboard from tissue-boxes (only time I've ever been glad I had a cold) and taped them together! I wrap this around the clay walls, and I use lumps of clay on the outside to put weight on the cardboard, keeping the card against the clay walls. This should be as airtight as you can get it, but really be careful about your ocarina shape!

Please note that in that last picture, there should be NO gap there!

In the next stage you simply prepare your plaster then pour it! No biggie, right?

Wait extremely impatiently for your plaster to dry. Methods for prolonging time include:
- Staring at your mold as it dries.
- Counting seconds on your watch.
- Refusing to allow anything else enter your mind as you wait.
... It makes it more rewarding in the end! ^^
Once it dries, unwrap it (gosh, feels like Christmas!) and carefully cut groves in your ocarina mold from various angles! BE CAREFUL TO NOT KILL OCARINA!

After this, paint the ocarina-side of the mold with a coat of oil, then put some cardboard walls around it again, with the ocarina facing up! Be sure to apply the oil! After your walls are secured, pour in the plaster.
The oil keeps the two layers of plaster separate, and so they come apart once the top half dries!

It's ugly now, but once it's cured, you can carve off the cardboard bits, etc. ^^
Leave it for a few days before using it. I used my molds of the past immediately, but apparantly it's not good for the mold. o.o
Personally, it's never harmed my work, but hey! You gotta listen to the masters, right?

-

CONGRATS! You now have a fully-functional and aligned plaster mold, just like the pros use! ^^
It doesn't look flashy, but if there's one thing to remember about ocarina making, it's NEVER judge a book by it's cover. This baby will help me SO much in the future! Hopefully I've been a help to you, too!

Thanks so much for reading!
Comments will be a great help! Ask questions, tell me how yours turn out, give feedback... whatever! ^^

Until next time, stay safe!

-Panch

TON's most opinionated Independent maker.
My site - My blog - My Youtube

Email

stevtomato
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

August 16th, 2008, 7:13 pm #2

Yay, of course I like it. Although I don't make ocarinas, some people here do and this is going to encourage them :D

Make double plz kthxbai!
stevtomato
Composer, Arranger,
Pianist, ex-Ocarinist.

All music emerges from silence, to which it must sooner or later return.

List of Sheetmusic

Go to my YouTube site and click the orange subscribe button and thou shall enlighten my day! =D

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 16th, 2008, 7:58 pm #3

I enjoyed viewing the process.

kissing
Site Admin

August 18th, 2008, 12:32 am #4

Wow... this seems very professional!

I don't make ocarinas, but this sure makes me look forward to Panch ocarinas! :D
Knowing the dedication and innovations that went into their creation!

ForestsRequiem
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Triple Ocarinist x 3

September 4th, 2008, 1:56 am #5

Wow...I finally got a chance to read through this, and I must say that it is a billiant technique! Can you give us a best way to use the mold quickie tutorial? I know, I bombard you with questions :shy: ! But hey, if you weren't so good at this, you wouldn't get my questions :thumbsup: !

Last uploaded Yeonriji

bluebell
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

September 4th, 2008, 2:02 am #6

ditto. how do we use it...... :)
*signature change pending*

Panch
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

September 4th, 2008, 8:54 am #7

ForestsRequiem wrote:Wow...I finally got a chance to read through this, and I must say that it is a billiant technique! Can you give us a best way to use the mold quickie tutorial? I know, I bombard you with questions :shy: ! But hey, if you weren't so good at this, you wouldn't get my questions :thumbsup: !
I'll post a tutorial on how to use the mold soon!

Email

speckles
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

September 4th, 2008, 9:47 am #8

I just finished making one like that, just for the heck of it, but it is much smaller. It didn't turn out as nice as yours. Mine is utterly hideous-looking. My cats hiss at it. :(
Last edited by speckles on September 4th, 2008, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Panch
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

September 5th, 2008, 12:08 am #9

speckles wrote:I just finished making one like that, just for the heck of it, but it is much smaller. It didn't turn out as nice as yours. Mine is utterly hideous-looking. My cats hiss at it. :(
Awr, no! What went wrong? Why don't you post photos up here on this topic?

Email

speckles
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

September 6th, 2008, 6:33 am #10

Panchi-tiger wrote:Awr, no! What went wrong? Why don't you post photos up here on this topic?
Pretty rough and awful. I used clay for the walls of the mold. Easier to remove, but that wouldn't work for a larger mold because of the weight of the liquid plaster.