Forum rules
TON Updates and more! Administrators will inform you about important changes or updates regarding the board system, Guidelines or anything related to TON.

TON's Got Talent!

TheOcarinaNetwork
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Inline Ocarinist x 2

December 28th, 2012, 4:31 am #1

Dear Citizens of TON! :monocle:

I would like to introduce to you TON's exciting new contest!
We are planning to hold it regularly.

Basically, it is a new TON "Video Challenge", which will be held every 3-4 months, with PRIZES!
The songs will be chosen by the judges based on suggestions made by everyone!
And simply entering the contest puts you in the draw to win prizes.

How it will work

1. Make suggestions of what song YOU would like to be chosen for the contest.
The TON's Got Talent judges team will then decide the song based on the suggestions made here.

2. The contest video will be launched, featured here on TON and other places.

3. Record a video or sound file (with a picture) and upload to Youtube as a video response to the video.
The deadline will be released once the contest video is up.

4. When the deadline comes, the winners will be chosen.
There will be prizes for best videos, as well as also prizes given at random.
So regardless of your skill level, feel free to enter as you will still be in the draw for a prize!

All prizes are subject to TON having enough funds.

Here is one prize that will be in the contest,
[+] kissing's Songbird DragonTooth ocarina
More prizes to come as the judges continue to organise the contest!

What now?
Feel free to SUGGEST WHAT SONG you think should be featured in the contest.

Once we have chosen the song to be used for the contest, we will make the official contest video which will announce the deadline. We are contemplating that the deadline will be approximately 1 month from launching the contest.

TON Contest organisers: Stephen Bobchin, Elven Spellmaker, Suki and Kissing
Last edited by TheOcarinaNetwork on December 29th, 2012, 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please direct direct inquiries to Elven Spellmaker, kissing or Stephen Bobchin.

Elven Spellmaker

kissing

Stephen Bobchin

UnicornWarrior
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

December 28th, 2012, 4:36 am #2

Wow, so many contests lately. I like it. :D
There are too many songs to suggest just one.
Last edited by UnicornWarrior on December 28th, 2012, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not call me unicorn... My name is Melody :)
[+] My Instruments
:triple: Focalink AC Dolce Triple - Name: Barbeque
:muse: Alto F Muse
Thomann Superior Euphonium - Name: Johann (currently broken)
Conn Director 18h Trombone
:pendant: DreamBirth Unicorn Pendant Ocarina
:brokenoc: DreamBirth Unicorn Transverse Ocarina
:ocarina: Dreambirth Bass in G(Pit Fired) - Name:Cherynobl :D
:inline: Blue aluminum mountain ocarina
Bb Dizi
Xiao Ruan
German Violin

SewedCodeMode
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

December 28th, 2012, 4:37 am #3

I think a fairly challenging song to learn would be the opening theme to Trigun. It's been transcribed for flute; I learned it as part of my last con performance. I can email someone with the sheet music if anyone is interested. It's chromatic, jumps octaves and would require a fair amount of practice. It also requires a multichamber ocarina, works better on a triple if memory serves. A fair suggestion, I think...
Last edited by SewedCodeMode on December 28th, 2012, 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the TONian formerly known as Yume34285. Or, Carmelita. :P

https://www.youtube.com/user/Yume34285/

Thank you Zero Tolerance for the beautiful Purple Clay Triple cell phone charm! Check out her work at http://www.starvingartistcharms.etsy.com/.

A few of my favorite quotes:
[+] Spoiler
Laugh at your problems. Everyone else does. -Unknown
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood. -Marie Curie
Relationships come and go, but friendship is forever. -from As Told by Ginger
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand. -from Sir Duke, by Stevie Wonder
Empathy is your pain, in my heart. -Emily Bell
Better wise from the misfortunes of others, than the misfortunes of your own. -Avi
The notes I handle no differently than other pianists, but the spaces between the notes...Ah! That is where the music resides. -Unknown
Ocarinas I own:
[+] Spoiler
STL Plastic Zelda AC (Rudo)
STL Plastic Triple (gold, gift from Dondi, named Frederico)
Aria in C (Matte Black, no name yet)
TNG DIY in C (Carmelita)
Hamlett in Alto G (Aster)
Purple Clay Triple in C (Akatsuki)
Songbird Strawfire pendant in G (Spot)
MaxRange Double Pendant in C (Roger)
Purple Clay Bass Triple in C (Little John)
Songbird Alto C pendant (gift from Zero Tolerance, named Zero)
Dinda Soprano in G (named Cookie)
Hong Xiao in Soprano F (gift from (Kevin), named Sweet Pea)
Hamlett in Soprano Eflat (Lily)
Songbird Mini Dragon Tooth in G (no name yet)
Purple Clay Mini in C (no name yet)
Songbird 7 hole Ocarina of Time AC (named Zelda)
Snowman Mini pendant (gift from pandorado, named Juniper)
Ocarina Necklace in brown (named Lil Bit)
Ocarinas I want to own:
[+] Spoiler
Casper TAF in Meteor Finish
Focalink/Stein DBG
Galliani Konzertocarina C3 by Rotter
Konzertocarina F4 by Rotter
Aria Triple AC, by STL
Takashi DAG
12 hole AC-E Zhao Fang by Focalink
Custom Hind Sweet Potato in Tenor F

Jill theredhedgehog
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

December 28th, 2012, 4:42 am #4

Oh this is a GREAT idea. Very cool! I'm definitely interested and I look forward to all the song suggestions made by our fellow members :)

And what a gorgeous prize! You're too kind, Sam! :thumbsup:

I do have a question, however, just to clarify the rules. It says that entries will be put into a "draw", but the winners will be 'decided'. So will it be a random draw or a decision made by the judges as to who the winners will be? Again, just clarifying! :)

Hmmm my goodness! So many songs that could be played...

I'm going to say Somewhere Over The Rainbow :D

~ Российский Единорог

SuperBobKing
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

December 28th, 2012, 4:48 am #5

I say we have someone with who does not mind being unable to enter the contest compose a song so that no one has the advantage of the song being something they can already play. It should also fit on a 10 hole (a pendant would be even better) so that there is as slim a chance as possible of someone not having the range to play a song.
The signature you have requested does not exist.
Error Code: 31003:2481069

Fred
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3

December 28th, 2012, 4:51 am #6

Yes keeping the tune within the range of a 10 hole or 4 hole would be most benifitial especially as it allows inclusion of those who may not be financially be able to have a multi chamber.
-Fred

angiessa
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

December 28th, 2012, 4:54 am #7

I think song suggestions should be for music that's a little more widely known - not all of us are gamers or anime fans. ;) And, (apologies if the contest organizers have already considered this) I think it's only fair if the contests are evenly balanced between songs that can only be played on a multichamber and songs that can fit a 12-hole range. Not everyone can afford/play a multichamber, so they wouldn't be able to participate if everything's geared toward that range.

That said, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. We've got a LOT of talented people on TON, and I'm excited to see the entries. :D

EDIT: Ninja'd. ;)

I like sbk's suggestion, as well, but do any of our resident composers have the time to come up with a unique, challenging song every few months?
Last edited by angiessa on December 28th, 2012, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperBobKing
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

December 28th, 2012, 5:01 am #8

It wouldn't necessarily need to be a song that would be something they would want published, just something that would enable everyone to show off their skills. Also it wouldn't have to be something composed specifically for the contest, it just couldn't already be available before it is announced as the song. I think that we have enough people here composing that a song is finished every few weeks.
The signature you have requested does not exist.
Error Code: 31003:2481069

Jill theredhedgehog
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

December 28th, 2012, 5:08 am #9

Well if they went that route, don't forget that we need MIDIs or soundfiles provided with sheet music and tablatures as everyone has to learn it at their own pace and style..

I like the idea of letting our talented community composers come up with something challenging for all of us to take on, but I also think there's nothing wrong with choosing between songs we already know, eh? Jussayin'.

~ Российский Единорог

kissing
Site Admin

December 28th, 2012, 5:23 am #10

Ok im here to clarify a few questions (on my toilet break..tmi)

1. Prizes:
Think of it this way: There will be "major" prizes for people selected by judges for best video, and "minor" prizes selected at random (eg: drawing from a hat). However someone who has already won a major prize won't be in the draw for the minor prizes :)

Thus, both the skilled and the lucky are eligible to be awarded. Kinda got the idea from Cris' recent contest.

2. Songs: The judges will choose the song that they come to an agreememt as appropriate for the contest. However, our choice will be based on the suggestions made here.

Nothing rules out that the song may be quite challenging or have more than 1.5 octave range. We may choose to vary the kind of song contest to contest, for example, if we do a simple one octave song one contest, we may choose to do a multi-octave song the next.

Remember, just because a song has more notes than what can fit in a 1.5 octave range, it does not mean it can't be played on a single chamber. You can be quite flexible on a single chamber. Be as creative as you want, and remember you can even use multiple ocarinas in your recording as you see fit.

It is unanimous amongst the organisers of the contest that we do not want this contest to be comprised of beginner level songs like Twinkle twinkle or Whistlestop. We want it to show the world TON members' true talent in fun and challenging songs. For some, it may just be an opportunity to advance their skills!

And do not worry, when the contest is officially launched there will be ample time before the deadline.
Last edited by kissing on December 28th, 2012, 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.