mandrew
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

January 14th, 2013, 5:18 am #11

I play a D Freeman tweaked Clarke. The Freemans are worth the extra money.
wrote:I used to complain about having no shoes, until I met a man with no feet. So I said, "Hey, can I have your shoes?"

DeTerminator
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

January 14th, 2013, 8:39 pm #12

Here's a whistle forum that you might be interested in...http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewforum.php?f=1

I would recommend this for you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Freeman-Whistle ... 3f20deabce I have the set in brass.

It's right in your price range, and the most bang for the buck. Or, you can purchase straight from Jerry Freeman at jerry@freemanwhistles.com

That will give you a great start with the tinwhistle. You will have two flute bodies (in C and D), that will allow you to play a huge percentage of music likely to be encountered in playing the whistle.

Good luck!

The Rosskonian
Double Ocarinist x 4
Double Ocarinist x 4

January 14th, 2013, 9:18 pm #13

I have both a Freeman tweaked Blackbird whistle and a Parks Ghost Whistle, both in D.

I spent a little bit more time with the Ghost Whistle, but honestly I lost interest in whistles when I got a Susato Oriole recorder: http://www.susato.com/konakart/Wide-Bor ... /2_4291.do

It has a very similar sound to the Ghost whistle, but is a recorder. This ended up sticking with me much more than either whistle. Also, if you are looking for books, I would suggest just keeping an eye on Amazon's used section for books on whistles, I don't think I've spend more than $10 total on the two or three big books on the subject by just watching until something came up for cheap.

Upon further thought, I realized I haven't touched anything whistle related in a while. If you are interested in the whistles or a method book, PM me and I'll sell you mine.
[+] Ocarinas I own
Hamlett Alto in C
Focalink plastic Soprano in C
Bon Soloist plastic Soprano in C
Noble plastic Alto in C (new model, not the Night one)
2 Night by Noble plastic Alto in C (one black, one white, thinking about trading one once I decide which color I like more)
STL/TNG Purple Clay Soprano in C
Mountain Ocarina in G, Aluminium
Hamlett Alto in G
Focalink Seedpod Bass in C (six hole)
Focalink TaiChi Pendant in Soprano G (for trade)

Last updated on 13/3/2013

alphard
Double Ocarinist x 5
Double Ocarinist x 5

January 18th, 2013, 2:24 pm #14

I recently purchased a cheap Feadog whistle in D. To my ears though, it sounds...rather bad and raspy, unless I blow so softly that my breath is practically a whisper. Is that normal, or have I got a dud?

[+] My ocarinas
Songbird
----------
- 12-hole OoT (newest model)
Dragontooth (metallic lustre)
Muse in Eb

STL
----------
- 12-hole OoT
- Hobbit ocarina
Aria SG
- 12-hole plastic tenor

Spencer
-----------
- 12-hole OoT

Focalink
-----------
- Double SG

Dinda
-----------
- Double AC
Triple AG

Tenrai
------------
9-hole OoT

Imperial City
------------
- Quadruple Bass

Akuriko
------------
- 7-hole Fairy Ocarina in G

Jeff Wilmott
------------
- 4-hole pendant in E
- 4-hole pendant in F#

Jiew
------------
- 6-hole pendant in Bb

Others
------------
- Two cheap plastic ocarinas (unknown maker)
- 6-hole bass pendant (unknown maker)
- Two peruvians (lol)

mandrew
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

January 18th, 2013, 3:20 pm #15

Irish whistles, by nature, are more chiffy (breathy), sometimes raspy, and that varies a whole lot from maker to maker. To real traditionalists, that is to be desired, not shunned. Quality control for whistles, even from the same maker, can be suspect at best. The whistle is a different instrument than ocarinas or recorders, yet all are basicly fipple instruments. It is what it is, and yours may not be too bad at all. Like ocarinas, they have an ascending breath requirement, and pretty steep into the 2nd octave or above. It does take practice to develope good tone on a whistle. If you back off too much on a whistle, you will have pitch problems.
wrote:I used to complain about having no shoes, until I met a man with no feet. So I said, "Hey, can I have your shoes?"

Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

January 18th, 2013, 4:08 pm #16

It's easier to start with a good whistle and graduate to a crap one (like the Feadog). A player with a lot of experience will know how to make any whistle sound good.

The Freeman tweaked whistles are a good compromise. The Susato is reliable, but shrieking and unsubtle, particularly at the top end.

Ocarinadiva
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

January 18th, 2013, 6:45 pm #17

Jack Campin wrote:It's easier to start with a good whistle and graduate to a crap one (like the Feadog).
I agree. About the same time I got my Burke (which I absolutely adore), I also got a cheap Feadog whistle. I couldn't get a good sound out of the Feadog when I started playing whistles, but after playing the Burke for several months, I picked up the Feadog again and it was like a completely different instrument. I think the main advantage of a nicer whistle is that it isn't as much of a struggle to get a good sound when you're starting out, and I think the Freeman tweaked whistles are a good choice for the desired price range.
Last edited by Ocarinadiva on January 18th, 2013, 6:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Shop ? Newsletter ? Youtube ? Facebook ? Twitter

STL Contractor: I make ocarina product overviews and design ocarinas.

[/color]
[/color][/color]

mandrew
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

January 18th, 2013, 10:02 pm #18

For me, A Burke is to die for! Pricey, but worth every cent. Mr Burke only live about an hour from me!

bamadude313
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

January 19th, 2013, 2:36 am #19

Thanks for the all the help. I think I'll pick up a freeman tweaked generation sometime!
My Ocarinas
[+] Spoiler
Focalink Strawfired Set of 4 (AC, SF, SG, SC)
Focalink Seedpod Bass C
Songbird Muse in Eb
Bon/Solist Plastic Triple
TNG double AC
TNG plastic AC
Other Instruments
[+] Spoiler
Conn 88H Trombone (open wrap trigger)
French Horn
Conn Bb Trumpet
My Aunt's old Bb Clarinet
Armstrong Concert Flute (borrowed from a friend)
Knilling-Bucharest 15 inch Viola

Traeak
Double Ocarinist x 5
Double Ocarinist x 5

January 19th, 2013, 3:23 am #20

interesting. I picked up a d feadog when a guitar shop gave me some of the tuners they replaced. The low octave is very low breath, but I think has a nice sound. But it definitely falls apart on me a couple of notes in the 3rd octave. I really don't like accidentals much on the tin whistle. it definitely requires a bigger time investment.
[+] Ocarina Companions
:pendant: Focalink taichi strawfire pendant
:inline: Mountain poly red G, green and gray C, warmstone G
:ocarina: Dinda AC
:ocarina: Noble black plastic AC
:ocarina: Night by Noble ivory plastic AC
:double: Focalink dolce double AC
:double: STL Zelda ceramic double AC
:double: STL Zelda plastic double AC (car ocarina)
:ocarina: Zin purple plastic tenor BC
[+] Other Instruments
xaphoon pocket sax
yamaha p22 upright, casio px150
melodicas: schoenhut 37, hohner instructor 32
ukuleles: martin OXK, concert fluke, schoenhut pt5400, rubin sopranino
feadog original tin whistle
Gretsch junior jet bass g2202, hadean omega ubass defretted, ampeg ba108