Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist
Joined: June 4th, 2015, 9:39 am

April 25th, 2016, 8:09 pm #171

I cannot vouch for the rhythm and pitch (I'm still working on it), but I hear you articulate each notes sharply, just like what I used to do. I suggest you try to change the articulation between notes (try pronouncing "d" and "t" for sharp articulation "l" or "r" for softer ones and try also not to articulate at all)

Most others on this site are better than I and will probably give you better advice. One piece of advice I found quite useful in my case is by Pandorado100 who told my to do as if I was singing. I'm applying her advice, and I think I improved my playing since.

Also, are you working based on tabs or music sheet? tabs gives no indication of rhythm or articulation at al. Music sheet barely gives not that much info on the articulation. I think the best way to do is to hear the piece played by a woodwind instrument, to understand how it should be played.
Quote
Like
Share

LifeLightXY
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Joined: April 9th, 2016, 7:44 am

April 26th, 2016, 6:02 am #172

Ocypode wrote:I cannot vouch for the rhythm and pitch (I'm still working on it), but I hear you articulate each notes sharply, just like what I used to do. I suggest you try to change the articulation between notes (try pronouncing "d" and "t" for sharp articulation "l" or "r" for softer ones and try also not to articulate at all)

Most others on this site are better than I and will probably give you better advice. One piece of advice I found quite useful in my case is by Pandorado100 who told my to do as if I was singing. I'm applying her advice, and I think I improved my playing since.

Also, are you working based on tabs or music sheet? tabs gives no indication of rhythm or articulation at al. Music sheet barely gives not that much info on the articulation. I think the best way to do is to hear the piece played by a woodwind instrument, to understand how it should be played.
Ah, I see. So far I have actually been using tabs because that's what I started with. I know the basics of sheet music though, so would you recommend that I switch primarily to that instead? I suppose it would definitely help with improving my rhythm if I did so. As for articulation, I'll just have to practice what you said. Thank you for your kind advice!
Current ocarinas:
[+] Spoiler
STL Aria Tenor
Pokeball D
Noble AC
Wish list:
[+] Spoiler
Dinda AC
STL Water
Osawa plastic AC
Allegro AC
6th Street AC
Luna Celta AC
Pokemon~
[+] Spoiler
Quote
Like
Share

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist
Joined: June 4th, 2015, 9:39 am

April 26th, 2016, 7:56 pm #173

I do think that music sheets are a more effective way to read music, The concept is truly easy in the C major scale, it's just "the next dot is half a line above, ok, I uncover one more hole".

For accidentals, it may take a little more time, for me, I discovered them progressively while discovering new tunes.

Finally, I think it is easier to scan through a music sheet than tabs, because you have the tempo and you can actually see the shape of the melody (not in tabs, not directly). So if you forgot what the melody was like in the middle of a practice session, you don't loose too much time finding the place where you got stuck.
Quote
Like
Share

LifeLightXY
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Joined: April 9th, 2016, 7:44 am

April 26th, 2016, 8:48 pm #174

Ocypode wrote:I do think that music sheets are a more effective way to read music, The concept is truly easy in the C major scale, it's just "the next dot is half a line above, ok, I uncover one more hole".

For accidentals, it may take a little more time, for me, I discovered them progressively while discovering new tunes.

Finally, I think it is easier to scan through a music sheet than tabs, because you have the tempo and you can actually see the shape of the melody (not in tabs, not directly). So if you forgot what the melody was like in the middle of a practice session, you don't loose too much time finding the place where you got stuck.
Did you have any trouble with the softer articulation sounding a bit--airy? Whenever I use the "l" sound instead of "tu" the notes sound kind of...well, bad. Will that just get better with more practice? Honestly, it's making me feel a little self-conscience about my playing now, lol.
Current ocarinas:
[+] Spoiler
STL Aria Tenor
Pokeball D
Noble AC
Wish list:
[+] Spoiler
Dinda AC
STL Water
Osawa plastic AC
Allegro AC
6th Street AC
Luna Celta AC
Pokemon~
[+] Spoiler
Quote
Like
Share

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist
Joined: June 4th, 2015, 9:39 am

May 3rd, 2016, 8:02 am #175

Oups, I thought I answered before...

I definitively had problems when I tried to do softer articulation. At first, I was not even at at the correct pitch. I'm still ironing out details, but most of the problems I had at first are gone. Overall, I'd say my playing improved compared to when I did strong articulation between each note. More importantly, I find it more interesting and funny to try new things with articulation, it's almost like singing, except I have better chance to have the right pitch ;)
Quote
Like
Share

LifeLightXY
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Joined: April 9th, 2016, 7:44 am

May 3rd, 2016, 2:19 pm #176

Ocypode wrote:Oups, I thought I answered before...

I definitively had problems when I tried to do softer articulation. At first, I was not even at at the correct pitch. I'm still ironing out details, but most of the problems I had at first are gone. Overall, I'd say my playing improved compared to when I did strong articulation between each note. More importantly, I find it more interesting and funny to try new things with articulation, it's almost like singing, except I have better chance to have the right pitch ;)
That makes sense. c: I've also been experimenting with other types of articulation now. "Gu" and "Lu" in particular are becoming two of my favorites, actually.
Current ocarinas:
[+] Spoiler
STL Aria Tenor
Pokeball D
Noble AC
Wish list:
[+] Spoiler
Dinda AC
STL Water
Osawa plastic AC
Allegro AC
6th Street AC
Luna Celta AC
Pokemon~
[+] Spoiler
Quote
Like
Share

LifeLightXY
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Joined: April 9th, 2016, 7:44 am

May 24th, 2016, 3:57 am #177

I've had this track recorded for a while now, but thought I'd go ahead and upload it.

https://soundcloud.com/emilyn-847450307 ... aby-reverb
Current ocarinas:
[+] Spoiler
STL Aria Tenor
Pokeball D
Noble AC
Wish list:
[+] Spoiler
Dinda AC
STL Water
Osawa plastic AC
Allegro AC
6th Street AC
Luna Celta AC
Pokemon~
[+] Spoiler
Quote
Like
Share

metranisome
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 8:19 am

May 24th, 2016, 10:24 am #178

Here is a track I made in late December on my set of Microtonal Ocarinas.

https://soundcloud.com/metranisome/some ... ermissable
Quote
Like
Share

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 7:10 pm

July 31st, 2016, 6:55 pm #179

Meant to make a video, but my camera was not on video mode when I hit record, so all I have is audio.
Woman Flower「女人花」
Quote
Like
Share

LifeLightXY
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Joined: April 9th, 2016, 7:44 am

March 19th, 2017, 10:04 pm #180

The Pokeflute song on the Pokeball ocarina from Songbird.

https://soundcloud.com/emilyn-847450307/pokeflute
Current ocarinas:
[+] Spoiler
STL Aria Tenor
Pokeball D
Noble AC
Wish list:
[+] Spoiler
Dinda AC
STL Water
Osawa plastic AC
Allegro AC
6th Street AC
Luna Celta AC
Pokemon~
[+] Spoiler
Quote
Like
Share