Fred
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3

February 24th, 2013, 8:44 pm #11

endalion:

the hyme is lovely.
[+] criticism
i would recommend you use a lighter attack and use a lighter tonging technique like "Di."

practice tonging just enough to cause note separation and so we don't hear you hitting the roof of your mouth in the notes.

Intonation was decent most of the time, but you do get severely flat and sharp at times.
Nice effort! I hear progress. :}
-Fred

Achint
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

February 25th, 2013, 5:26 pm #12

https://soundcloud.com/achint/maybe-tomorrow-cover

This is something I did a few years ago for my final project in the first year of audio college.
It's not for everyone but it was a subject that I had never tackled and found wildly interesting. The subject was that of Chiptunes, i.e. 8-bit gameboy music.
So I ripped out the sound chip from and old Nintendo console I bought off ebay, programmed it to make the 4 basic sounds it can make and covered "Maybe Tomorrow" by Stereophonics by mixing chiptunes with real instruments.

Some of the TONians have heard this on TC already, but I thought I'd share it here. It was the first 'technical' thing I had done as an audio engineering student apart from operating mixers and the like.
BATCHINT! <3
[+] My Ocarinas
:ocarina: Jade Everett AC
:ocarina: Oberon Ocarinas AC
:ocarina: Hind Tenor F
:double: Tytoalba DAG

Jill theredhedgehog
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

February 28th, 2013, 1:22 am #13

Hai ^.^

So, this isn't my performance (yet) but before I even record a final draft, I really need to know...

Is this in the right key?! :cry: I'd appreciate an honest answer!

https://soundcloud.com/jill-theredhedge ... am-on-muse

Also yes, I know I'm a liiiiiiiittle flat here and there and I frequently lose my articulation, but again, this is not my performance - I just need to know I'm playing it right XD But feel free to offer constructive criticism anyweez! Thanks! :D

LOVE that track, Achint!! :)
Last edited by Jill theredhedgehog on February 28th, 2013, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

~ &#1056;&#1086;&#1089;&#1089;&#1080;&#1081;&#1089;&#1082;&#1080;&#1081; &#1045;&#1076;&#1080;&#1085;&#1086;&#1088;&#1086;&#1075;

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

February 28th, 2013, 4:50 am #14

redhedgehogocarina wrote:Hai ^.^

So, this isn't my performance (yet) but before I even record a final draft, I really need to know...

Is this in the right key?! :cry: I'd appreciate an honest answer!

https://soundcloud.com/jill-theredhedge ... am-on-muse

Also yes, I know I'm a liiiiiiiittle flat here and there and I frequently lose my articulation, but again, this is not my performance - I just need to know I'm playing it right XD But feel free to offer constructive criticism anyweez! Thanks! :D

LOVE that track, Achint!! :)
That sounds great Jillian. I have a slightly diffferent version of that song. Some of the notes are different in my sheet music. Here's the way I play it.

"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer

Jill theredhedgehog
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

February 28th, 2013, 6:47 am #15

Aw, yay! Thanks Jeanne :) I like your version a bit better, hehe. And thanks to the others for your input as well - I can see where I need drastic improvement, and I appreciate the feedback! :D

~ &#1056;&#1086;&#1089;&#1089;&#1080;&#1081;&#1089;&#1082;&#1080;&#1081; &#1045;&#1076;&#1080;&#1085;&#1086;&#1088;&#1086;&#1075;

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

February 28th, 2013, 3:41 pm #16

redhedgehogocarina wrote:Aw, yay! Thanks Jeanne :) I like your version a bit better, hehe. And thanks to the others for your input as well - I can see where I need drastic improvement, and I appreciate the feedback! :D
Thank you, Jillian. I feel you are a better player than I am so that means a lot. I was pleased my recording came out pretty decent. It's only the 5th or 6th sound recording I've made so far since I got my Blue Snowball.

I noticed I should have turned down the gain since I was getting squeaks on the high notes. And I still need to work on those Eb notes. Half holing on pendants is a bit tricky.

I'm looking forward to hearing your finished video. :)
-- Albert Schweitzer

geotjakra
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Triple Ocarinist x 3

March 1st, 2013, 12:32 am #17

Looking forward to hearing the final result Jillian, I like what I hear so far.
I've been enjoying some of you people's recordings, just barely grazed the surface but so far great stuff people! Keep on tooting....etc..... :)

I made an account yesterday to start posting my recordings :) feel free to give your comments :)

I've been experimenting with Ney Egyptian/South-East Indian tuning on my flute making these past couple days, and posted some of the results.

http://soundcloud.com/geoffrey-tjakra/n ... -with-echo
[+] My Ocarina Collection and links
My Ocarinas Collection:
C.H.Mathieu Paris 10 hole Metal oc #3 (Sig.)
A small antique 10 hole GB US-made Oc ( e-bay)
Menaglios (Ocarina de Budrio) Do1,Sol2,Do3 (Achint, previously owned by Docjazz4)
Spencer AC (black concert series) (Achint)
Maparam double AC (Sam)
Focalink/Stein/Fengya:
-12-holes(Taiwan sub-holes) straw-fired Ceramic SC,SG,SF,AC. (Shanghai old market road).
-12-holes(Taiwan sub-holes) straw-fired Ceramic BC (Shanghai ).
-12-holes(Taiwan sub-holes) Jade crackle AC-B (Shanghai ).
-12-holes(Taiwan sub-holes) (Tao Bao, Focalink China pit-fired)Ceramic AC-C (Singapore/ way over-paid), pit-fired SC-C (Shanghai).
-12-holes AC and SC Focalink Plastic (Songbird, LA)
-12-holes SC Focalink Ceramic Jade- crackle glaze (Songbird, LA)
-4-hole Focalink pendant SC (Accent, Singapore)
-medium sized 4-hole blk&red lady bug pendant made by Focalink I think.(Accent, Singapore)
-6-hole mini pendant (straw fired transverse miniature) (night market in Shanghai)
-6-hole alto C Focalink pendant (Bras Basah Complex, Singapore)
-12 holes China LongYun ceramic SC(dealX)
-12 holes China LongYun mustard colour purple clay ceramic AC (Shanghai)
2 Susato, USA, plastic 5-holes pendant (Singapore, trolleybook)
MountainOcarina Polycarbonate G & C (mountain ocarina)
-12-holes(Japanese sub-hole) Elim AC plastic (modified) (Indonesia, Ronald S.)
-TNG triple plastic (added a hole on the smallest chamber to extend the range)(Teddy Seng)
-a very tiny 10 hole plastic transverse OC necklace. made in japan(Daiso, Singapore)
-3 cheap plastic transverse 10 holes AC (Daiso, Singapore)
-extended Bass C Bull ocarina (imperial city)
-STL double AC OOT Zelda (Ocarinadiva, Chris)
-Teacarina 4 holes (Ocarinadiva)
-modified/tuned to 4 holes Cascabel bird ocarina (from the Casacabel set (5 flutes, 1 untuned but very pretty bird ocarina and a pet rock fossil))(Erik the Fultemaker)
-Harmony double, minor pentatonic scale (Sean, Etsy,Harmony Ocarina)
-Arabian scale with very long mouth piece ocarina (Sean, Harmony Ocarina)
Ocarinas related links:
Ocarinas designed by TON members....http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7020854/1/#new
[+] My Art - Geoffrey Tjakra
http://pinterest.com/geotjakra/geoffrey-tjakra/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2f4gZeyRhY
[+] Key to number tab system for pendant ocarinas
Since this took a moment to understand (and a test), I'll explain the notation shortly( by endalion):

8 - both holes closed. (80- both left holes closed and both right holes open)
9,6 = circled hole closed, other one open. (top left hole and bottom right hole closed)
0 - both holes open
o - thumb hole on that side open.
Line length after tab indicates note lengths.
Philippians 4:4-9 (...Think and do what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy...)

jahura
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Transverse Ocarinist x 5

March 1st, 2013, 12:54 am #18

That's absolutely beautiful, Geoffrey!

geotjakra
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Triple Ocarinist x 3

March 1st, 2013, 2:00 am #19

jahura wrote:That's absolutely beautiful, Geoffrey!
Thank you Jahura :)
[+] My Ocarina Collection and links
My Ocarinas Collection:
C.H.Mathieu Paris 10 hole Metal oc #3 (Sig.)
A small antique 10 hole GB US-made Oc ( e-bay)
Menaglios (Ocarina de Budrio) Do1,Sol2,Do3 (Achint, previously owned by Docjazz4)
Spencer AC (black concert series) (Achint)
Maparam double AC (Sam)
Focalink/Stein/Fengya:
-12-holes(Taiwan sub-holes) straw-fired Ceramic SC,SG,SF,AC. (Shanghai old market road).
-12-holes(Taiwan sub-holes) straw-fired Ceramic BC (Shanghai ).
-12-holes(Taiwan sub-holes) Jade crackle AC-B (Shanghai ).
-12-holes(Taiwan sub-holes) (Tao Bao, Focalink China pit-fired)Ceramic AC-C (Singapore/ way over-paid), pit-fired SC-C (Shanghai).
-12-holes AC and SC Focalink Plastic (Songbird, LA)
-12-holes SC Focalink Ceramic Jade- crackle glaze (Songbird, LA)
-4-hole Focalink pendant SC (Accent, Singapore)
-medium sized 4-hole blk&red lady bug pendant made by Focalink I think.(Accent, Singapore)
-6-hole mini pendant (straw fired transverse miniature) (night market in Shanghai)
-6-hole alto C Focalink pendant (Bras Basah Complex, Singapore)
-12 holes China LongYun ceramic SC(dealX)
-12 holes China LongYun mustard colour purple clay ceramic AC (Shanghai)
2 Susato, USA, plastic 5-holes pendant (Singapore, trolleybook)
MountainOcarina Polycarbonate G & C (mountain ocarina)
-12-holes(Japanese sub-hole) Elim AC plastic (modified) (Indonesia, Ronald S.)
-TNG triple plastic (added a hole on the smallest chamber to extend the range)(Teddy Seng)
-a very tiny 10 hole plastic transverse OC necklace. made in japan(Daiso, Singapore)
-3 cheap plastic transverse 10 holes AC (Daiso, Singapore)
-extended Bass C Bull ocarina (imperial city)
-STL double AC OOT Zelda (Ocarinadiva, Chris)
-Teacarina 4 holes (Ocarinadiva)
-modified/tuned to 4 holes Cascabel bird ocarina (from the Casacabel set (5 flutes, 1 untuned but very pretty bird ocarina and a pet rock fossil))(Erik the Fultemaker)
-Harmony double, minor pentatonic scale (Sean, Etsy,Harmony Ocarina)
-Arabian scale with very long mouth piece ocarina (Sean, Harmony Ocarina)
Ocarinas related links:
Ocarinas designed by TON members....http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7020854/1/#new
[+] My Art - Geoffrey Tjakra
http://pinterest.com/geotjakra/geoffrey-tjakra/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2f4gZeyRhY
[+] Key to number tab system for pendant ocarinas
Since this took a moment to understand (and a test), I'll explain the notation shortly( by endalion):

8 - both holes closed. (80- both left holes closed and both right holes open)
9,6 = circled hole closed, other one open. (top left hole and bottom right hole closed)
0 - both holes open
o - thumb hole on that side open.
Line length after tab indicates note lengths.
Philippians 4:4-9 (...Think and do what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy...)

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

March 1st, 2013, 4:58 am #20

That was incredible, Geoffrey. I felt transported to the middle of a bazaar or some other exotic Arabian locale. Your flute was beautiful and you played it well.
-- Albert Schweitzer