Forum rules
Welcome to Q&A! If you have questions that you want to ask, please shoot them right here.
Please only post questions here.

The topic title should clearly suggest the questions you are about to ask or already contain the question itself.
A bad topic title would be [i]PLEASE HELP!!! [/i], [i]IMPORTANT QUESTION! [/i], [i]ANSWER ME! [/i] or [i]QUESTIONS [/i] and the like. Topics like this will be closed.
A good topic title would be [i]Choosing between Maparam triple and Focalink Triple [/i] or [i]The differences between an Ocarina and a Bamboo Chopstick? [/i]

Happy asking!

so is there really a difference

grimplexidon
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

July 6th, 2008, 8:48 pm #1

between a regualr soprano from stl and a purple clay

they sound the same to me

shadowyi
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

July 6th, 2008, 11:42 pm #2

Hmm. I think this may be the third topic on this subject. Make sure you check old threads before posting!

But, Panch here at TON owns both and says the difference to negligible. Also bear in mind you're getting royally ripped off if you buy a purple clay from STL.

Designed by Jacob. TONian!

Small sheet music update! Find them at Shadow's sheets!
Shadow's Pokemon-esque music story is being revised! (no new updates yet) Click here!

grimplexidon
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

July 6th, 2008, 11:54 pm #3

sorry i didnt see the others.

and i know but i cant order from tng because i cant order international

kissing
Site Admin

July 7th, 2008, 1:41 pm #4

The regular Soprano is pretty good. The purple clay Soprano is probably good too - but definitely not worth what it is being sold for. I daresay the Purple clay may be of higher quality in how they are made (since they put a lot of pride into their 'purple clay products'), but in my opinion, it is still a bit of a rip off.

For the amount of money that the purple clay soprano costs, there really is no excuse for not being able to order overseas anyway - since you have enough money for shipping -_-

The regular WPN Soprano is pretty much the only ocarina I think is a good one to get from them if you can only order from within USA.
Last edited by kissing on July 7th, 2008, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walden
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

July 8th, 2008, 7:43 pm #5

My opinions of STL are mixed. They seem to have developed a reputation for heavy-handed business practices. And I was shocked to find out, not long ago, that many of their customers think that STL is a maker. I realize that they produce instructional materials that are included with the ocarinas, and as they seem to be a music school, this goes along with their educational endeavor, I suppose. Nevertheless this doesn't entirely justify implying that the ocarinas they are retailing are their own brand. Radio Shack and Sears used to put their own brand name on products by other makers, to the extent that Sears even marketed Atari video games as "Sears Arcade." It just served to confuse matters, as far as I can tell.

What I believe that STL has done that was beneficial, though, is to make 12-hole ocarinas known to the wider public in North America. Most makers throughout the Anglosphere were pushing pendant-style ocarinas, which only played an octave, or possibly an octave and a couple notes, and required severe cross-fingering even for that. Makers are noticing a demand for "sweet-potes" now, and we can see Darryn Songbird and Charlie Hind, two of the most prolific American makers, adding them to their lines.

shadowyi
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

July 8th, 2008, 7:53 pm #6

Walden wrote:Makers are noticing a demand for "sweet-potes" now, and we can see Darryn Songbird and Charlie Hind, two of the most prolific American makers, adding them to their lines.
I thought Mr. Hind at least started making sweet potes a while ago? On his serial number dating section of his page I think it goes back to.. the 90s? 80s even?

Shadow's Pokemon-esque music story is being revised! (no new updates yet) Click here!

Walden
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

July 8th, 2008, 8:05 pm #7

shadowyi wrote:I thought Mr. Hind at least started making sweet potes a while ago? On his serial number dating section of his page I think it goes back to.. the 90s? 80s even?
He produced a few, some time back, but didn't develop one he was sufficiently satisfied with to market regularly till the past couple years or so. He's been making his rectangular ocarinas since the 1980's, I think. He used to make ocarinas for Susato, a long time ago.

EDITED to add: Looking through the serial numbers, it was 2006 that he began producing them in large quantity.
Last edited by Walden on July 8th, 2008, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowyi
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

July 9th, 2008, 12:16 am #8

I stand corrected, thank you! :D

leArAnonA
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
leArAnonA
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

July 10th, 2008, 1:43 am #9

Shadowyi is right, maybe one of these threads needs to be pinned for awhile because its been a pretty hot topic.
By the way not blaming anyone for asking. After all I was one of the three or so who asked shortly before :D

shadowyi
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

July 10th, 2008, 1:23 pm #10

Excellent idea. I pinned Elfgrin's as it has company names, ocarina type, and the important question in the subject line.