Forum rules
Welcome to Q&A! If you have questions that you want to ask, please shoot them right here.
Please only post questions here.

The topic title should clearly suggest the questions you are about to ask or already contain the question itself.
A bad topic title would be [i]PLEASE HELP!!! [/i], [i]IMPORTANT QUESTION! [/i], [i]ANSWER ME! [/i] or [i]QUESTIONS [/i] and the like. Topics like this will be closed.
A good topic title would be [i]Choosing between Maparam triple and Focalink Triple [/i] or [i]The differences between an Ocarina and a Bamboo Chopstick? [/i]

Happy asking!

Samick Ocarina (Clay) Soprano F

Tennyson
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Transverse Ocarinist x 2

November 4th, 2017, 4:26 am #1

Hi! :)

Sorry to disturb you.

It is a while I see online, for example on Amazon, an apparently 'new' model of Samick Ocarina, clay, Soprano F (below, two related pictures).

As far as I knew, Samick was producing plastic ocarinas, but I did not know about clay models (I do not know much about Samick as a brand, to tell the truth).

This Soprano F seems the only 'widespread' model in clay they produce.

Do you know something about it and about Samick in general?

The Samick Soprano F ocarina is priced around 100 USD.

Is it a quality ocarina?

Is any information available?

Thank you very much

Greetings! :)
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler
Semper fidelis

Tennyson
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Transverse Ocarinist x 2

November 14th, 2017, 8:15 am #2

Just a quick update. :)

I got a Samick Soprano F ocarina, apricot color.

Well, it is nice, beautiful finish, a little bit 'asymmetric' in its shape.

Below, some not so beautiful pictures.

It comes with a nice bag, in an artistic, 'shining' box.

It seems that Samick produces all kind of ocarinas, in all the keys. However, it is not easy to find them online, apart for some plastic models and this clay Soprano F.

On the 'catalogue' included in the box, Samick, as a brand, is called Syrinx, but it is evident that they are the same brand.

Some Samick Soprano C models are very interesting, but I do not know where to find them.

The ocarina comes also with a necklace. However, the ring for the necklace, on my ocarina, is rusty.

As far as the sound, big disappointment.

It is a soprano F ocarina, but it is very airy (too much) in the 'high' notes, starting already from the high D. No way to be able to find a solution to the issue, even changing the posture and applying a strict breath control. Sometimes, from high D to high F, the ocarina produces also a sort of 'buzz'.

It is a pity, since it is a cute ocarina, but the quality of the sound and the tone are not the best. I have tried to become used to the instrument and to apply all kind of possible 'technicalities' to improve the 'performance', but there is no way, at least apparently.

It is possible it is my model. I mean, let's say I get another one and I discover the other one is not airy at all and works wonderfully, but, at the moment, my Samick ocarina is a little bit below the standard for a 'true', effective ocarina (perhaps not worth of 90 USD, EMS international expedited shipping included).

Ok, just an update, as told.

Greetings. :)
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler
Last edited by Tennyson on November 15th, 2017, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper fidelis

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

November 14th, 2017, 5:57 pm #3

I think I have read about that Syrinx brand you mention. Isn't it a Japanese brand that also produce plastic transverse flutes?

Sorry to read that you got a below the average ocarina. At least your experience may warn others. Too bad, because as you said, it's a simple, yet nice looking ocarina!

Tennyson
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Transverse Ocarinist x 2

November 15th, 2017, 6:59 am #4

Thanks for your note! :)

I am not sure about Syrinx, since on the 'catalogue' I received with the ocarina the wirting system / language used is Korean and not Japanese (but it could be just because those ocarinas are for the Korean market and not 'original' from Korea).

Yes, as told, the ocarina is a little bit disappointing and it would be necessary to get another one, almost 'identical', to make a comparison and to understand if it is my ocarina or if it is the model itself.

As mentioned, it would be interesting to evaluate also other keys of the Samick ocarinas, but they seem quite difficult to be 'found'.

Semper fidelis

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

November 15th, 2017, 12:08 pm #5

My bad, I was thinking of the brand "Aulos" which is Japanese. I got confused because both brands derive their names from antique Greek wind instruments.

So, don't mind my previous comment: I don't have a clue about the origin of the brand "Syrinx"!

Tennyson
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Transverse Ocarinist x 2

November 30th, 2017, 3:50 am #6

Just a quick update. :)

For the sake of Science :D , my wife and I have got another Samick Soprano F ocarina, almost 'identical' to the one ("Apricot" color) we had already. Only the color is different ("Jade Green").

Unfortunately, it was not our other ocarina the 'problematic' one.

The green one is, if possible, more 'problematic' than the apricot one.

Terribly airy on the high notes (it is quite 'weird', for a Soprano F), with a disturbing buzz that annihilates all attempts to play nicely also a simple melody.

I have tried all kind of 'tricks' in order to make the ocarina play better. In vain.

I think, at this point, it is a problem of this Samick Soprano F ocarinas themselves (or their peculiar style?).

We'll not get a third one :D , but two ocarinas out of two resulting 'defective' or, at least, way below average, are almost an evidence that something does not work.

It is a pity, since the ocarinas look good, come with a nice pouch and a necklace, a beautiful box, and are ergonomically not bad.

However, the only important factor in a musical instrument is that it sounds well and the two Samick Soprano F ocarinas we have, unfortunately, are not good at all.

I would be keen on trying a Soprano C model (it seems it has Japanese sub-holes), but I have been unable to find it.
[+] Spoiler

I have found only 1 Alto C (with Japanese sub-holes, while the sub-holes in the Soprano F models are in Taiwanese style), but I would not go for it.

Here is the link, 'Terracotta' Samick Ocarina Alto C, it is way less expensive than the Soprano F.
[+] Spoiler

It seems there is also an Alto F model, again almost impossible to be found.
[+] Spoiler

Below, some additional pictures.

Hope it helps in giving an unbiased and comprehensive information.

Greetings. :)
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

Last edited by Tennyson on November 30th, 2017, 4:12 am, edited 8 times in total.
Semper fidelis

MatheusMota
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Pendant Ocarinist x 2

November 30th, 2017, 6:53 pm #7

Do you have sound samples of that green ocarina?

Thanks in advance,
Matheus

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

November 30th, 2017, 8:07 pm #8

True they look nice... Too bad they are of poor quality. Well, I guess you are now the proud owner of two pretty - yet brittle - paperweights :)

Well, that's good to know.

By the way, I think that we can safely assume these ocarina are Korean.

Also, I loved your expression "for the sake of science" :)

Tennyson
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Transverse Ocarinist x 2

December 1st, 2017, 4:20 am #9

Hi! :)

Unfortunately, I have not tools to record (effectively) a sound sample, apart for my phone (maybe), I am very sorry.

@ Ocypode

Indeed, I do all these 'experiments' as a service to Science :D :D !

By the way, yes, Samick is a Korean brand.

I have checked the website of Samick (Musical Instruments), Samick, and it seems they do not produce anymore ocarinas, even if their ocarinas are for sale online, still, especially in South Korea (like, for example, here, Link).

Last edited by Tennyson on December 1st, 2017, 4:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Semper fidelis

spoonyspork
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

December 7th, 2017, 4:07 pm #10

These look very, very similar to the 'Aketa' ocarinas... which do have a bit of chiff and buzz to them, but that's how they're intended to sound. The only real difference I see is the mouthpiece, and the notes aren't labeled. I wonder if they're intended as a copy?
Painter and Glazer for Imperial City Ocarina