Recorders revisited

ubizmo
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

December 27th, 2009, 7:29 pm #1

I figured the thread about recorders vs ocarinas was morphing into a thread just about recorders, which would probably belong here. So.... check out this recorder ensemble, QNG. Check out the wide-bore recorders they're playing in the very first piece. They have a very distinctive sound.

I'm not sure whether anybody is interested, but I just bought this album by Pamela Thorby, which provides yet more proof that the recorder is a living, growing instrument. Her ability to bend notes is amazing, giving her playing an ocarina-like sound at times, and a tin whistle sound at other times. Note bending is difficult on the recorder, since the instrument is designed to prevent note bending, to a great extent. Listening to her music makes me realize that the future of the ocarina is still wide open.

Ubizmo
Last edited by ubizmo on December 28th, 2009, 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Some of my videos are now used promotionally by Mountain Ocarinas.

Ocarinadiva
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

December 28th, 2009, 2:31 am #2

Wow, I really dig their style - I would definitely see them live if I ever had the opportunity. I especially enjoyed the sound of the wooden bass recorders near the end of the video. Those are some amazing ladies!

Shop ? Newsletter ? Youtube ? Facebook ? Twitter

STL Contractor: I make ocarina product overviews and design ocarinas.

[/color]
[/color][/color]

IceWind91
Double Ocarinist x 3
Double Ocarinist x 3

December 28th, 2009, 2:47 am #3

I have a CD from the Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet of Bach's Art of Fugue. It's really impressive to hear it played on recorders.

I'm considering getting an alto, as it seems that's what most of the Baroque repertoire is written for. This is the one I'm looking at;
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Simulated- ... 105&sr=1-5

Does anyone have any experience with this model? I think this is the one Ubizmo recommended in the other topic. I'm sort of curious if it's tuned to A=415 or A=440. I assume it'd be A=440, but you never know...
My Youtube Channel!

Latest vid(s): Four Pence a Day and Loch Rannoch
Next vid (most likely): Can She Excuse my Wrongs (Dowland)

ubizmo
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

December 28th, 2009, 2:47 pm #4

IceWind91 wrote:I'm considering getting an alto, as it seems that's what most of the Baroque repertoire is written for. This is the one I'm looking at;
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Simulated- ... 105&sr=1-5

Does anyone have any experience with this model? I think this is the one Ubizmo recommended in the other topic. I'm sort of curious if it's tuned to A=415 or A=440. I assume it'd be A=440, but you never know...
I have a soprano in that model, and an alto in the plain finish 300 series. The first (long) reviewer on that Amazon page has some perceptive comments. I share the suspicion that the rosewood/ebony finish model has a better tone, but if so it's very subtle and may be a placebo effect. And yes, the alto is the usual solo/lead voice in Baroque and other recorder music. It has a more interesting and pleasing tone than the soprano or tenor, usually. It's tuned to A=440.

Ubizmo

IceWind91
Double Ocarinist x 3
Double Ocarinist x 3

December 31st, 2009, 8:17 pm #5

Thanks, Ubizmo! I've ordered the recorder, and I'll hopefully get it sometime next week.
My Youtube Channel!

DracoNyon
Beginner
Beginner

January 1st, 2010, 4:11 am #6

Nice, I just got a recorder yesterday. Yamaha plastic. I think they are some good instruments. I have a descant.

ubizmo
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

January 4th, 2010, 2:14 pm #7

Have fun with those Yamahas! For your enjoyment, here's a video of Carlos Nuñez playing a Mollenhauer Modern Recorder. The Mollenhauer Modern has a few keys, unlike a traditional recorder. These keys allow it to play down to low E, and to play F/F# combinations more fluidly. If I had a lot of money to spend on a recorder, this is the one I'd want.

More about the Mollenhauer Modern

As you can see, they cost a few bucks.

Ubizmo

IceWind91
Double Ocarinist x 3
Double Ocarinist x 3

January 6th, 2010, 11:16 pm #8

I just got my recorder! It's pretty awesome! Reading sheet music for it is a bit awkward so far (probably because my natural impulse is to read the music like the other woodwinds I play), but I'll start doing some scales to overcome that.

Also, even though I have pretty big hands, the fingerholes seem to be quite an awkward stretch for me, and my wrists get sore quickly. Anyone got any advice for that?
My Youtube Channel!

Ocarinadiva
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

January 7th, 2010, 2:50 am #9

Awesome! I hope you'll record something on it at some point, because I'm thinking about getting one too!

Shop ? Newsletter ? Youtube ? Facebook ? Twitter

STL Contractor: I make ocarina product overviews and design ocarinas.

[/color]
[/color][/color]

ubizmo
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

January 7th, 2010, 1:05 pm #10

IceWind91 wrote:I just got my recorder! It's pretty awesome! Reading sheet music for it is a bit awkward so far (probably because my natural impulse is to read the music like the other woodwinds I play), but I'll start doing some scales to overcome that.

Also, even though I have pretty big hands, the fingerholes seem to be quite an awkward stretch for me, and my wrists get sore quickly. Anyone got any advice for that?
The fingering is comparable to the low register on a clarinet, more or less. As for the finger stretch, I don't find it to be too bad--again, comparable to clarinet. Of course, coming from the relatively cramped fingering of the ocarina, the alto recorder feels very different. But I doubt you'll find it to be a long-term problem. The tenor recorder, on the other hand, really is a stretch for most hands, like the low D tin whistle.

Ubizmo