Ocarina Ranges and Names

Sigurthr
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

August 18th, 2010, 10:08 pm #1

Hi everyone. If possible and agreeable a Sticky from the mods would be FANTASTIC! If this is better suited somewhere else move it at your discretion. I simply want it viewable easily as per my goal:

I have made this diagram up to explain the ranges and names for common ocarina sizes/pitches and keys. This is all with what I would call "openly accepted and uncontested terminology", e.g. as simple and widely accepted as possible.

My goal is to help end the constant stream of posts that say things like "I want something lower than a Tenor C because the high notes are too high." and "What kind of ocarina is this? It goes from X to X1" and "What range does a X have?". I want this to be available for all the newcomers with questions, many of which who don't get answered or don't understand the terms we use.

I am open to suggestions and will modify it if there are any errors or if there is a better accepted term for something. Please let me know what you think.
[+] OCARINA RANGE AND NAMING GUIDE

Last edited by Sigurthr on October 20th, 2010, 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Flutist and Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator
::Disclaimer - If my comments seem to be odd or creepy at times, it is only because you haven't been a part of TON long enough to know me. Just ask some of the Senior Members, they'll fill you in. /eyebrowraise. ::
[+] My Instruments
Flute:
- Conn-Selmer: The Sir James Galway Spirit - JG3BO
- Aulos Grenser A=440 Traverso
- Antique Huller Lyon-Healy Meyer 19th Century Orchestral Flute

Ocarina:
- Hind: Tenor F Transverse in Cocobolo & Bloodwood

Recorder:
- Yamaha: 300 Series C Baroque Recorders
[+] Ocarinas Sold
Pacchioni: DoppiaV C3, Mi3
Menaglio: Do3
Hind: Inline TF, Bb, Harmony, DIY, Sop-F
Maparam: DAC
Focalink: DAC, DSG, SG
Songbird: 5-hole OoT, DT 13-hole D, Hylian Shield
Mountain Ocarinas: Poly C, Poly G Vampire, Cocobolo G
Solist: Plastic SC, Plastic AC
Noble: DAC
STL: Rupee SC, Plastic TAC

ubizmo
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

August 18th, 2010, 10:26 pm #2

Is this system truly uncontested?

Instead of the "8va" notation, I'd incorporate something like C5, Eb4, etc.--some indication of the absolute pitch on a piano keyboard.

Frankly, I'd drop the whole SATB nomenclature, until it becomes standardized, if ever. Instead, just show the various options from various makers. After all, there are Hinds, and MOs, and Pacchionis, and North Country Workshop, and so on, that don't fall neatly into these slots. But people are still interested in knowing about them and perhaps buying them (but you don't have to show the Ubizmified MO range). From the standpoint of utility, I think most people would like to be able to look up various ocarinas, and see where they fit into the picture. I know that when I first joined TON, I was utterly ignorant of all of this, and just wanted to get a feel for what was out there.

So.... you might have one diagram for C6 12-holes; another for C6 10-holes; and so on. Make the table longer, and under each entry, you might include notes about makers, alternative terms, and so on. This way, if someone is interested in, say, an STL tenor Enigma, that person would find a note in the table indicating that this is a C5 12-hole ocarina, and would be able to compare it to various other models.

edit: By the way, this is a very cool thing to do!

Ubizmo
Last edited by ubizmo on August 18th, 2010, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some of my videos are now used promotionally by Mountain Ocarinas.

Cavalier
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

August 18th, 2010, 10:26 pm #3

Thanks for this great material, looks good to me. This should really get pinned
[+] Ocarinas
:pendant: - Focalink TaiChi Soprano G
:ocarina: - Focalink Alto C
:ocarina: - Focalink Plastic Soprano C
:double: - Focalink Double Alto C
:double: - Focalink Double Soprano G
:triple: - Focalink Triple Alto C
.:My Sheet Collection:.
.:My Review Collection:.
:catplanet:

Sigurthr
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

August 18th, 2010, 10:36 pm #4

I had considered not using the SATB nomenclature but then you confuse the european members who are used to the way european makers like Rotter and Pacchioni name things.

A C3 is an Alto C which is C5 on a piano. I think far fewer people know pitches by piano pitches than one would assume. More to the point users of Tabs would probably not know one C from another. If we give them my chart and the fingering chart that came with their oc, they could determine where theirs fits. If by names (or pitch numbers) people cannot find where their oc fits then by notes on the staff they could.

The whole STL Tenor/Alto thing does get confusing but as far as I am aware they list the pitches correctly on the staff, and in their method book use the 8va.

I'm not saying that Using Piano Pitches wouldn't be more correct, it certainly would be. But if you put too much info into it, it will seem overwhelming and daunting. Likewise using completely unfamiliar terminology would do the same. The neophyte would look upon it and think "I don't recognize a single thing on here, I cant use this!".
Last edited by Sigurthr on August 18th, 2010, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::Disclaimer - If my comments seem to be odd or creepy at times, it is only because you haven't been a part of TON long enough to know me. Just ask some of the Senior Members, they'll fill you in. /eyebrowraise. ::
[+] My Instruments
Flute:

Ocarina:

Recorder:
[+] Ocarinas Sold

Adam
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Triple Ocarinist x 3

August 19th, 2010, 9:31 am #5

. . .
Last edited by Adam on June 28th, 2016, 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

mondeva-2008
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Inline Ocarinist x 3

August 19th, 2010, 10:10 am #6

I find this chart very useful, thanks Sigurthr. The only thing I am missing is a name conversion table for italian ocarinas (Pacchioni...) as you have done for STL.
Anyway, a nice and useful work!

Sigurthr
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

August 19th, 2010, 3:51 pm #7

I'll see what I can do about the italian names, hehe. I may just make a second chart and place it under, adding too much to the main one would be counterproductive.

Btw, thanks for the sticky!
[+] My Instruments
Flute:

Ocarina:

Recorder:
[+] Ocarinas Sold

ocarevolutionary
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

August 19th, 2010, 4:14 pm #8

I'm afraid I'd have to agree about the SATB thing. Just exactly who is the authority on classifying ocarina ranges as SATB? I certainly don't think STL Ocarina, which is run by professional musicians, is any less qualified than other ocarina companies to classify them.

Hopefully as ocarinas become more mainstream, a classification will become standardized.

By the way, if MaxRange ocarinas become "common", do they make it onto your list?
STL Ocarina affiliate (JULY09) MaxRange ocarinas are officially licensed by STL Ocarina. MaxRange double, MaxRange Pendant, and Double Pendant now available!
The "mother of all ocarinas" comes soon...

Sigurthr
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

August 19th, 2010, 4:45 pm #9

I didn't mean common as in rare ocarina vs. very common ocarina. I meant that these Ranges are common. So if more ocarinas had yours' range, then it would be common =P. Do not take it as insult, quite the contrary; The MaxRange is special!

Naming things is always a touchy area, especially when there is a set or standard already accepted, if not wholly, than at least mostly, by a large number of people using the things the names are for.

If you base it on the next closest instrument in terms of range and range of voices you would come to Renaissance Recorder; I doubt anyone wants to use Garklein, Descant, Treble, etc.

Next closest is Baroque Recorder; here we have Garklein C, Sopranino F/G, Soprano C, Alto F/G, Tenor C, Bass F/G, Great Bass C, Contrabass F/G, and Sub-Contrabass C. This system could easily be adapted to ocarina, but you would now be two names separated from the STL Names, and it would not match up to any currently in use system.

Soprano C Recorder = Alto C Ocarina = STL Tenor C Ocarina. If we were to use this system we would see questions like "WTH is it Soprano, Alto, or Tenor!?" and such would prove just cause for moving to a numerical system. Nominating a numerical system is likely futile as people are generally less likely to use it when they are used to a nomenclature based system. People often feel number based names are "indefinite" and "intangible" [I wonder why =P ;)] thus default back to a more comfortable name. What's the use in developing a system no one will use?

Logically the most appropriate path is to take what is most generally accepted, expand upon it to fill any gaps, illuminate any shady areas, clear out any conflicting areas, and lay down the finished groundwork at the very least. This way there is the least amount of resistance or change needed from the least amount of users possible.

I don't see why Maker's, Representative's, or VERY accurate user based charts like mine can't be added for specific Ocarinas that aren't in my chart. There would be no harm as long as they were accurate.

A format outline would be necessary to not conflict with other information in the thread but I'll keep it simple:

OCARINA NAME:
OCARINA MAKER:
RANGE IN SHEET MUSIC :
*Use true pitch on the Staff, C4 is Middle C, the lowest Tonic C of a Bass C Ocarina.
[+] My Instruments
Flute:

Ocarina:

Recorder:
[+] Ocarinas Sold

ocarevolutionary
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

August 19th, 2010, 5:13 pm #10

You make some good points, ones that I really don't have any argument against, not that I feel like arguing anyway.
STL Ocarina affiliate (JULY09) MaxRange ocarinas are officially licensed by STL Ocarina. MaxRange double, MaxRange Pendant, and Double Pendant now available!
The "mother of all ocarinas" comes soon...