Forum rules
TON Updates and more! Administrators will inform you about important changes or updates regarding the board system, Guidelines or anything related to TON.

Ocarina of the Year (OOTY) Official Thread!

OcarinaOfTheYear
Beginner
Beginner

December 2nd, 2008, 7:53 am #1

The most memorable and beneficial ocarina of our time

Total votes: 66
31(47%)
14(21%)
21(32%)

The time to vote has come!
Now is the final showdown between the three candidates we nominated.

Which will be proclaimed "the most memorable and beneficial ocarina of our time" and be given The Ocarina of the Year 2008 Title?

Feel free to add your discussions about your selection!

OOTY 2008 Candidates:
Maparam Triple, Spencer Zelda Replica, Ocarina of Time

Last edited by OcarinaOfTheYear on December 6th, 2008, 12:52 pm, edited 15 times in total.

The Ocarinas chosen do not represent the views of TON itself but the community at the time of the polls.

DeepRed
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
DeepRed
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

December 2nd, 2008, 8:58 am #2

I'll go for the Maparam- in my opinion the most beneficial since it's available to everyone, unlike the other two! Plus it sounds awesome, and showed us (along with Focalink) that us westerners can have amazing instruments from the too-often closed-to-us world of Asian Ocarinas. I wish more manufacturers should follow their lead! :D

kissing
Site Admin

December 2nd, 2008, 9:14 am #3

I went with the Maparam Triple, not only because it is my personal favourite ocarina - but it was the ocarina that fascinated me most when I first discovered ocarinas.

Willy's performance was absolutely amazing, and it made me dream of owning such an ocarina some day and playing such wonderful music on it.

If it won, it will also symbolise for me that the ocarina community no longer focuses on the Zelda game when talking about ocarinas, but as fully capable musical instruments.

Myung
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

December 2nd, 2008, 4:06 pm #4

I voted for the Spencer Zelda Replica. Even though it could have been a regular Spencer Alto C as well. I do feel that we are moving away from the whole Zelda theme, and I think that's a good thing. But Ocarina of Time has brought so many of us to this wonderful instrument, it does deserve some credit. So yeah Spencer gets my vote^^

Tye Possum
Double Ocarinist x 5
Double Ocarinist x 5

December 2nd, 2008, 4:11 pm #5

I went with the in game ocarina of time because although now I think of the ocarina as an instrument, I wouldn't even know about it's existence if it wasn't for the ocarina of time and I think that's the same for a lot of people. If it wasn't for the ocarina of time there probably wouldn't be an ocarina community as large as there is now. If ocarinas were more common then of course there would be a real ocarina that inspired a lot of people but since it's popularity is or was quite small, we needed something that a lot of people are interested in to show it to us again and that happened to be a video game.
I wander far but am not lost, I follow the lights though should not trust, when night time falls I stop and play, a tune that I made up this day.

Number of ocarinas currently: 12

Remagoen
Inline Ocarinist x 4
Inline Ocarinist x 4

December 2nd, 2008, 9:34 pm #6

OoT for me. Face it, most of us wouldn't even know about Ocs if it weren't for that one, just like Tye said. That's pretty influential stuff right there if you ask me.
I suck with sigs, so I'll just do this...

Current ocarinas:
Songbird Zelda replica extended range
STL Enigma

Hoping for enough talent and money to obtain a bassful ocarina.

ForestsRequiem
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Triple Ocarinist x 3

December 2nd, 2008, 10:01 pm #7

I vote for the Maparam Triple! It's mystique intrigued so many of us with its wondrous abilities when we first saw Willy play Hungarian Dances!

And yes, while OoT did introduce many of us to ocarinas, it is not to thank for all of it. For me, I was playing Majora's Mask in the Summer of '07 determined to finally beat it, later I decided to look up ocarinas on youtube...

I saw a video of Docjazz playing his Spencer(Song of Time, I think), and I thought that's cool, but still just zelda stuff...

Then in the sidebar I saw a picture of a Korean guy (Whooooo Willy :music: ) playing what looked like Swiss cheese(Maparam Triple)!

I clicked on the video(below, I'm sure everyone has seen it) only to be inspired by the wondrous miracle that was ocarinas!
[+] Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITGas0eHE5I
It was after I saw that video that I went back to Docjazz's channel to find out about getting my own ocarina since the website : http://www.maparam.kr was all in Korean (that was before Kissing/Sam used his awesome Korean speaking skills to make Maparam ocarinas available to all of us English speakers! It was you right? Last year is starting to get a little fuzzy )

This is why I am voting for the Maparam triple as the OOTY!
I would vote for the Focalink Triple as well, but sadly that's not in the vote :( I really like both Maparam and Focalink for providing amazing Ocarinas to the non-asian world!
Last edited by ForestsRequiem on December 2nd, 2008, 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Last uploaded Yeonriji

Deleted User
Deleted User

December 2nd, 2008, 10:45 pm #8

OoT was and always will be love for me. It's childhood personified.

Ocarina12
Transverse Ocarinist
Transverse Ocarinist

December 3rd, 2008, 2:24 am #9

It was the legendary game OoT that taught many of us of the mere exsistance of the ocarina. Face it, if it wasn't for it there would probably be no TON. Sure the Triple ocarina video (willy and hungarian dance) finalized many of our decision to get an ocarina but the game ocarina was the ocarina that got us interested in the ocarina in the first place. Therefore my vote is for OoT. Maybe in a couple decades it will not be OoT that make people start playing ocarinas, but for our time, our generation, it was and is the keystone of our journey towards playing the ocarina.
curiostiy killed the cat... Good thing it has 9 lives!
I, as an ocarina knight(self-claimed title), salute TON as the ocaria forum.
The battle cry of the legendary Ocarina knight (me): "For the elegance of the ocarina!"
every knight needs a weapon, ever legendary knight needs a weapon at the level of Excalibur. My Excalibur: my Maparam Triple ocarina
ocarina bear done by moonsyne, thanks!

hugolino
Inline Ocarinist x 4
Inline Ocarinist x 4

December 3rd, 2008, 5:12 am #10

I have never played Zelda in any form except for an open source project that I downloaded a few weeks ago that recreated the very first Zelda game... and I gave up on it fairly quickly.

What exposed me to ocarinas was Smule's Ocarina app for the iPhone. I was surfing on YouTube looking at iPhone videos of apps and I stumbled upon ones of Smule's app. I thought it was great. Viewing several Smule ocarina videos led me to many videos by Doc Jazz, and then later from Doc Jazz I discovered Kissing's videos. Finally, from there, I stumbled onto The Ocarina Network.

So which ocarina did I vote for? The in-game Zelda one, because whenever I search for ocarina performances on YouTube the genre of ocarina songs that seem most popular, based on comments, are the Zelda themes, and they are the ones that seem to attract people to ocarinas at this point, as far as I can tell. They have clearly been the most memorable and beneficial for promoting the ocarina.
Last edited by hugolino on December 3rd, 2008, 5:14 am, edited 3 times in total.