Moderator: Bateleur

Vermin
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

January 6th, 2010, 4:06 pm #41

That mountain ocarina learning book, is that useful for people who already have clarinet lessons?
I've already learned to read sheet music, and I'm learning about meters and rythm during my clarinet lessons...
I like the Mountain Ocarina playing style, but will I also learn about that?
With the MO playing style, I'm refering to the way Karl plays on the ocarina guru video.
The only way to become good is to become the best. -Me =D

Because it is my dream to speak directly to people's hearts...

ubizmo
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

January 6th, 2010, 7:19 pm #42

Vermin wrote:That mountain ocarina learning book, is that useful for people who already have clarinet lessons?
I've already learned to read sheet music, and I'm learning about meters and rythm during my clarinet lessons...
I like the Mountain Ocarina playing style, but will I also learn about that?
With the MO playing style, I'm refering to the way Karl plays on the ocarina guru video.
I don't have the book, so I'm not sure, but I think it's mainly about learning fingering and reading music. The playing style you're referring to involves what's called "Celtic ornamentation", which is what Karl uses with great effect. He has some videos about it. You can also learn more about it on Youtube by viewing some instructional tin whistle videos, since this sort of ornamentation is fundamental to whistle playing. It mostly involves the use of three basic techniques: cuts, taps (also called strikes), and rolls. Research those and you'll be on your way.

Ubizmo

Some of my videos are now used promotionally by Mountain Ocarinas.

Vermin
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

January 6th, 2010, 8:19 pm #43

That should help me, even before I get my MOs, which I probably won't be able to order untill march anyway.
The only way to become good is to become the best. -Me =D

Because it is my dream to speak directly to people's hearts...

esile567
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

January 7th, 2010, 9:41 pm #44

I love my MO! :) I got it a few months ago, but i havent used it that much. Until today! :) I recommend to transfer tin-whilste-techniques(or maybe its common techniques for any flute) to the MO, its very fun and rewarding! :)

(sig made by Sherb)(nick-change: Rutta89 to esile567)
[+] Spoiler
My Ocarinas :
- STL infinity(AC)
- Mountain Ocarina poly G
- Focalink SC
- Focalink AC
- Focalink d AC(on it's way!)
- "Set of two" from Focalink(SC-pendant + AF-pendant)

Sigurthr
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

February 3rd, 2010, 12:35 am #45

I just ordered a Poly C! I just want an Oc I can take everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. I'll have to learn inline fingering, but hey cant be that hard right?

I made a fall/crush/vibration/shock proof case for my Songbird 5-hole OoT, but it is heavy as hell, Lol. Cuts down the portability a ton.
Flutist and Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator
::Disclaimer - If my comments seem to be odd or creepy at times, it is only because you haven't been a part of TON long enough to know me. Just ask some of the Senior Members, they'll fill you in. /eyebrowraise. ::
[+] My Instruments
Flute:
- Conn-Selmer: The Sir James Galway Spirit - JG3BO
- Aulos Grenser A=440 Traverso
- Antique Huller Lyon-Healy Meyer 19th Century Orchestral Flute

Ocarina:
- Hind: Tenor F Transverse in Cocobolo & Bloodwood

Recorder:
- Yamaha: 300 Series C Baroque Recorders
[+] Ocarinas Sold
Pacchioni: DoppiaV C3, Mi3
Menaglio: Do3
Hind: Inline TF, Bb, Harmony, DIY, Sop-F
Maparam: DAC
Focalink: DAC, DSG, SG
Songbird: 5-hole OoT, DT 13-hole D, Hylian Shield
Mountain Ocarinas: Poly C, Poly G Vampire, Cocobolo G
Solist: Plastic SC, Plastic AC
Noble: DAC
STL: Rupee SC, Plastic TAC

spiritsword88
Beginner
Beginner

February 13th, 2010, 4:57 pm #46

Recently I picked up a Hind alto sweet potato and a Focalink pendant, before then I had only played the C and G MO. I love the Hind and the pendant, but I still love my MOs just as much if not more. The texture of the Mountain Ocarina tone is something I've become addicted to, the notes on other ocarinas are nearly too pure to me in many ways. I really enjoy playing a lot of fast paced Celtic music, and I think the MO is better equipped for that sort of music in many ways. But as ubizmo and others have stressed, it takes a lot of practice to get the hang of the MO. You have to grow into it, it doesn't start out sounding good. I was extremely disappointed the first few days I had mine, it took me awhile to get it to sound better than a dollar store recorder. But after a few days it was sounding good, and after 6 or 8 months it was starting to sound really good -- if you like the sound of these ocarinas from skilled players, just stick to it and you'll get the hang of it eventually. And don't do what I did -- it took me a long time to realize that the high D and E were "reversed" so I had been half holing the left thumb-hole to get the D in tune... silly me...

shirf02
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

February 14th, 2010, 4:04 am #47

Spiritsword wrote:the notes on other ocarinas are nearly too pure to me in many ways. I really enjoy playing a lot of fast paced Celtic music, and I think the MO is better equipped for that sort of music in many ways.
Definately a difference in tone between MO and other ocs. Most of the stuff I play isn't all that suitable for them, but they are perfect for Irish/Celtic/medieval sort of music..
That's right, it's a suit.click for a biggy

JCParker412: poop is like snowflakes
[+] Reasonably accurate

Sigurthr
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

February 14th, 2010, 4:13 am #48

The thing I love most about my MOs (besides the ease of linear inline fingering) is the overtones and undertones it produces. My Mo Poly G is airy on the high notes, but, I use it as my on-the-go Oc so I don't really care. Playing an oc is 50% liking the sound and 50% enjoying the physicality of playing.

Having those harmonics in the mix can add depth to a melody line instead of it sounding thin or flat.
Flutist and Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator
::Disclaimer - If my comments seem to be odd or creepy at times, it is only because you haven't been a part of TON long enough to know me. Just ask some of the Senior Members, they'll fill you in. /eyebrowraise. ::
[+] My Instruments
Flute:
- Conn-Selmer: The Sir James Galway Spirit - JG3BO
- Aulos Grenser A=440 Traverso
- Antique Huller Lyon-Healy Meyer 19th Century Orchestral Flute

Ocarina:
- Hind: Tenor F Transverse in Cocobolo & Bloodwood

Recorder:
- Yamaha: 300 Series C Baroque Recorders
[+] Ocarinas Sold
Pacchioni: DoppiaV C3, Mi3
Menaglio: Do3
Hind: Inline TF, Bb, Harmony, DIY, Sop-F
Maparam: DAC
Focalink: DAC, DSG, SG
Songbird: 5-hole OoT, DT 13-hole D, Hylian Shield
Mountain Ocarinas: Poly C, Poly G Vampire, Cocobolo G
Solist: Plastic SC, Plastic AC
Noble: DAC
STL: Rupee SC, Plastic TAC

damiel71
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Transverse Ocarinist x 5

March 21st, 2010, 5:56 pm #49

Just ordered a Warmstone G ocarina. They Sell some Warmstone G ocarina at a special price (about 30$ less than the normal price). The discounted ocarinas "have slight imperfections" according to Cliff, Cliff said that sound and playability are uneffected by those slight imperfections, so the ocarinas are a good value. The lowered price is only visible after the "add to cart" button is pushed, i was happily surprised when i discovered the ocarina i ordered was 59,50$ and not 89,50$ in the order invoice!
Sorry for my very bad english.

Krešimir Cindrić
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

March 21st, 2010, 6:13 pm #50

Wow... that's great. Now I'm tempted to order one myself. What exactly are those "slight imperfections"?