Moderator: Bateleur

ubizmo
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

December 23rd, 2009, 7:19 pm #31

Abreu wrote:I'll saty there for like, 10 days, I think...
If you'll be at one address the whole time, and not moving around touring, that's definitely enough time to order a Mountain ocarina and have it shipped to you.

You can order from Mountain Ocarinas.

Ubizmo
Last edited by ubizmo on December 23rd, 2009, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some of my videos are now used promotionally by Mountain Ocarinas.

Abreu
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

December 23rd, 2009, 8:01 pm #32

Thanks Ubizmo, I'll consider it :D

-My Ocarinas
[+] Spoiler
-Focalink 12-hole AC-B
-Focalink 12-hole Plastic AC
-Focalink TaiGie pendant
-Focalink handpainted tenor F pendant (Thank you jade! <3)
-Viento Kanta Double AC
-Noble bass C (Thank you Courtney!)
-Noble Mini Ocarina (Thank you Jade! <3)
-Langley soprano Eb pendant (Thank you Simon! <3)
-Terry Riley soprano D pendant (Thank you Jade! <3)
-Gosselink Bird in Gb
-New Vista bass C pendant (Thanks marco!)
-Vicente 10-hole SG
-Teddy Tseng's "Woodalink" AC (Thank you Bat! <3)
-WPN 12-hole soprano C
-STL 6 hole ocarina necklace
-Peruvian 8-hole pendant
ocarinas I owned:
[+] Spoiler
-STL Zelda Tenor "special" edition (broke)
-WPN/STL 12 hole plastic (sold)
-The very first Hind Corian Double Ocarina (Returned it to Laa already <3)
-Vicente 10-hole AG (gave it to Jade)
-Songbird #80 Dragontooth (Traded it with Courtandrich)

mikona
Double Ocarinist x 4
Double Ocarinist x 4

December 27th, 2009, 7:36 pm #33

I got a set of the two polycarb ocarinas for Christmas this year. I've been playing with them a bit. It didn't take me too long to learn the fingerings, since they're fairly similar to transverse... it's just messing with me a bit with how to play an F#, when I switch between ocarinas. They're quite fun though!
[+] My Ocarinas
:pendant: Songbird soprano in A...kinda (Broken)
:pendant: Songbird alto in F#...kinda
:pendant: Focalink TaiChi soprano G
:double: Maparam Double Alto C
:ocarina: Songbird Dragon Tooth
:inline: Mountain Poly G
:inline: Mountain Poly C

kissing
Site Admin

December 28th, 2009, 12:59 am #34

Well I use the same fingering for F# between 12-holes and Mountains.

The 2 significant differences I see is playing Bb and the high D and E (where you have to open the different thumbholes first)

Nevertheless enjoy!

speckles
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

December 28th, 2009, 6:05 am #35

Armisis wrote:I have to admit out of the square voice hole ocs i have only MO and Dunster seem to have it done right, Terry Riley still uses it on his and its not quite got it right IMHO
I have a MO polycarbonate C, and IMO, the sound is rather harsh. When I first tooted on it, my mom pronounced, "It's awful!" To be fair, I tend to blow softly, and the MOs are meant for harder breath pressure. But I still don't care for the sound when I blow it harder. :(
I have one of Terry Riley's little egg-sized ocs, amd it has a very sweet, clear sound.

Ocarinadiva
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

December 28th, 2009, 6:16 am #36

You know, I wasn't sure what to think when I first starting playing either, but after seeing what Ubizmo has been able to do with the MO, I'm convinced that it just takes some experimentation with different breath pressure and lots of practice to get the best results, just like with any other oc.

I played Ogawa ocs for many years, and I was so used to type 1 breath requirements that when I first got my Purple Clay double, I couldn't get a good sound with it. But after about two weeks of messing around with it constantly, I was much happier with it. Preference is a big part of it though. If you don't like ocarinas with textured tones, you're probably better off with that egg shaped pendant or a transverse with even breath requirements.

Shop ? Newsletter ? Youtube ? Facebook ? Twitter

STL Contractor: I make ocarina product overviews and design ocarinas.

[/color]
[/color][/color]

junfanjohn
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Transverse Ocarinist x 5

December 28th, 2009, 8:26 am #37

I enjoyed your "Women of Ireland" song Ubizmo! Has me thinking of picking one up as well.

viperdvman
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

December 28th, 2009, 9:51 am #38

I've only played 2 ocarinas so far: My Langley Songstone and my WPN Double AC. Both require differing breath pressures to get the best sound from them/ SO I've never played one with even breath requirements... not yet, anyway.

From what I'm hearing about the MO's, I think I should find it fairly easy to convert to those when I get my hands on one :)

[+] I Own
WPN Double AC :double:
Focalink Double SG :double:
Langley Songstone :pendant:
Small Major Flute
by Erik The Flutemaker
Chinese Flute
by Erik The Flutemaker
Palmer 6-string Acoustic Guitar

[+] I Want
MO Polycarb SG :inline:
Songbird Dragon Tooth
A small number of Erik The Flutemaker's other flutes

SasquatchBob
Beginner
Beginner

December 31st, 2009, 1:11 pm #39

Mr. Ubizmo is to be commended for the time he has put in to take his playing on the MO to a high level.

ubizmo
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

December 31st, 2009, 5:30 pm #40

SasquatchBob wrote:Mr. Ubizmo is to be commended for the time he has put in to take his playing on the MO to a high level.
Aww shucks.

You know, it's really just a matter of making a decision and then committing to it. When I first got the poly MO, I wasn't thrilled with the sound either. For that reason, I switched to transverse. But I wasn't that pleased with them either, for various reasons. I listened to Karl Ahrens and Al Martino playing MOs on Youtube and like the sound, and decided that if they could do it, so could I. And that was my turning point. I'm not there yet, but I've made progress--probably more than I would have made if I kept switching ocarinas every month or so.

Before I played any ocarina, I tried playing tin whistle for a while. I fell into the trap of buying whistle after whistle, trying to find the perfect one, blaming the whistles for my lousy sound. I finally realized that buying whistles is just a distraction from playing them. The great advantage of the MO for me is that I have it with me all the time, and as a result I play it a lot more than I would if I had to keep it stored at home. I don't worry about breaking it, getting it wet, or anything else. I don't even have to take it out of a case. So when I get the urge to play, I just play.

I don't try to persuade anyone to play MOs. There are lots of great ocarinas out there, and people have different musical preferences, playing styles, and lifestyles. The MO is a good fit for me. The only point I try to make is not to be too quick in judging the sound you get when you first start playing one. It changes over time, as you learn to control your breath. I'm sure this is true for all ocarinas, but I think it's a bit more true of MOs than some other ocarinas.

Ubizmo

Some of my videos are now used promotionally by Mountain Ocarinas.