Moderator: Bateleur

Bateleur
Quadruple Ocarinist x 4
Quadruple Ocarinist x 4

July 23rd, 2017, 10:38 pm #291

It's difficult to play MO's if you're mainly used to transverse ocarinas. My Inline G plays very "open," that is with little to no back pressure, and the breath slope feels nearly even, especially pointing out the high notes that don't increase in breath. The sound & playing style definitely throws me off from what I'm adjusted to. Even so, this new instrument is too neat to pass up, plus MO deserves support with this launch. The R&D on the Coda seemed like a huge pain in the ass lol
Pandorado wrote: We should be the forum that people go to for support of all ocarinas and encouraging people to become the best players they can with whatever ocarina they have.

Kitten Forest
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

July 23rd, 2017, 10:46 pm #292

It sounds pretty good! Obviously not quite like my Hind double, but for the materials and the supposed price, it sounds like something I'd like. I've never used a double for range extension before since mine is meant for harmony, but I'm really interested in this and the G inline that was previously sold.
[+] My Ocarinas
:triple: ICO Triple BC
:ocarina: Songbird SoL
:focalinkblue: Focalink plastic AC and SC
:ocarina: Songbird Allegro AC
:pendant: Songbird Seedpod AC
:ocarina: Focalink Strawfire AG
:inline: Hind Harmony Double Tenor F
:OoT: Dreambirth Bass A
:ocarina: Rotter Z Fans (AC and SC)
:OoT: Songbird OoT Kokiri Edition AC
:pendant: Songbird Pokeball AD
:oldoc: Gretsch SG

Harp Player
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

July 24th, 2017, 1:01 am #293

I only have one transverse, it is one of Robert Hickman's 11 hole D's. I love the sound of it and how solid it is along the entire range, but I have a touch of carpel tunnel syndrome so I can't play it for more than a few minutes at a time.

Harp Player
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

August 25th, 2017, 5:16 am #294

Here is the latest news about the CODA.
wrote:Well, I've been holding off on posting because I keep hoping to share encouraging news.

Since back in July, I've been expecting parts any day, but issues keep coming up: the tool was still out for hardening, the color concentrate had not arrived yet, etc. As of yesterday, the latest word from the molder is, "Guys are finishing up another job and you are next in line for install. As soon as we are ready I will call so you can come down and see the parts."

In the original quote, we were supposed to have finished parts within 10 to 12 weeks. It's not like I'm counting or anything, but, as of today, 22 weeks have passed since I officially placed an order for the Coda injection mold, and 8 and a half weeks just since we received our first clear sample parts. As you can see, we are running a tiny bit behind.

Of course, this is frustrating, but any really important project requires patience. Hopefully, all the many challenges and delays will soon be a distant, vague memory once we have finished Codas in hand. We've waited this long. I'm at least 98.9% sure that waiting a little longer won't kill us.

As soon as I know anything more, YOU will be the first to know!

Harp Player
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

October 5th, 2017, 5:23 pm #295

Here is the latest update from Karl:
wrote: This will just be a quick, big picture update. It is a busy time as we strive to be prepared for the Coda launch on many fronts.

We now have nice production parts (in dark brown), and the texturing came out very nice. If you are not excited about brown either, have no fear! We ran those parts only because we needed to get them ASAP to the ultrasonic welding equipment company so that they could complete work on our horns and fixtures. Without that ultrasonic welding equipment, we can't assemble Coda.

As far as when they will complete their work, the ultrasonic welding guys say, "...delivery [of the tooling] is 1st/2nd week November or ASAP." So, write that on your calendars! It looks like November is the month. And since I am NEVER wrong when I make a prediction... (A song from the Pirates of Penzance springs to mind here. If you don't get this one, you may need to go to a few more high school musicals.)

We finally have the needed color concentrate to make both black and slightly-transparent dark cobalt-blue parts. There were a lot of delays on this because we are working with a type of plastic that neither my molder nor the color concentrate people have worked with before, so you wouldn't believe all we've gone through just to get these color concentrates. (None of the suppliers had the cobalt blue resin, so it is a true custom color, but we could have bought stock black material instead of getting a custom color concentrate made. The only drawback was that we would have had to buy 15,000 or 20,000 pounds of it. Gulp! Hopefully next year!)

I've chosen a plastic called Zylar --a less common, more expensive resin-- because it is very tough, it molds a bit more precisely with less molded-in stress than either polycarbonate or ABS, and it is very safe, i.e., it's suitable for medical devices, reusable drinking ware, etc.

I mention the colors again because I think that two-tone Codas will look classy and more interesting. (The proof is in the pudding, though.) You see, Coda has four components: a top, a middle, a bottom, and a mouthpiece, so we can combine these components in different ways to create Coda Blue, Coda Black, and --for the really hardcore-- Coda Black & Blue. Wink (You are not alone. My wife didn't think that was funny either.)

Gotta run...
It looks like it won't be much longer now.

Harp Player
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

November 17th, 2017, 7:08 am #296

Yet another update from Karl
wrote: You guys are great! With all that I have going on, I don't always respond to your posts right away, but I always read them with interest.

Good news! I'll spare you most of the details. I spent the day at the ultrasonic welders yesterday. The new horns and fixtures, after some testing and tweaking, now work really well. This is especially encouraging because we designed and redesigned our joints several times to improve them, but there were still no guarantees, so perhaps you can imagine my relief.

At present, I have about a dozen assembled Codas that look and play nicely. Also, I took one of them and dropped it over and over onto solid concrete from a height of 4 to 6 feet. (We'll do more testing in the future.) Coda bounced every time and kept right on playing. Now, I don't present these as unbreakable, but they are designed with EDC in mind. An EveryDay Carry instrument should be small, light, and TOUGH, and I'm pleased to say that Coda lives up to my expectations.

Also, I was playing Coda at the small plant or factory yesterday, and four employees walked up to say they wanted one (or two). I later learned that one of the company owners took an assembled Coda home because he emailed to ask about the Coda book and to say that a couple of his piano-playing teens wanted Codas. While this is gratifying, the real test comes as we gradually find out how many people are willing to part with money to buy one. Time will tell, but I am optimistic. Whatever the case, this is the instrument that I personally have wanted for the last couple of decades but couldn't buy because it didn't exist.

But when, oh, when will Coda be available? Soon, but how soon? Right now they are doing a final polish of the ultrasonic horns and fixtures. Will they finish this week? Maybe, probably, but they couldn't say. As soon as they finish, I will personally transport the ultrasonic tooling over to the injection molding company. Then they'll have to set up their ultrasonic welder so they can perform the three welds on each set of Coda components. The injection molders are great guys, and they say they'll get "right on it," but is that next week (next week includes Thanksgiving), or the following...? And there are many other details that we are racing to get ready for launch. I say "we," but right now it's mainly me. Very soon, as finances allow, I'll have more help from wonderful people waiting in the wings, but Coda has been a BIG stretch financially, so it's still up to me to spin as many plates as I can.

Thanks again for your extreme patience! I'll keep you in the loop.

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Transverse Ocarinist x 3

November 17th, 2017, 9:52 am #297

So close I can smell it. How much is it costing? He made it sound like it might be too expensive for the average joe.

Also he should help Apple make a decent iPhone

Kitten Forest
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

November 17th, 2017, 2:55 pm #298

I'm fairly clumsy, so this is an ocarina I would be interested in, but price could be an issue. Hopefully it's more affordable. Especially considering Amazon sells Focalink plastic ACs for $60 in Canada.
[+] My Ocarinas
:ocarina: Songbird SoL
:focalinkblue: Focalink plastic AC and SC
:ocarina: Songbird Allegro AC
:pendant: Songbird Seedpod AC
:ocarina: Focalink Strawfire AG
:inline: Hind Harmony Double Tenor F
:OoT: Dreambirth Bass A
:ocarina: Rotter Z Fans (AC and SC)
:OoT: Songbird OoT Kokiri Edition AC
:pendant: Songbird Pokeball AD
:oldoc: Gretsch SG

Saki
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

November 17th, 2017, 7:02 pm #299

When he was throwing out prices earlier in the year, honestly the price range he suggested sounded very low. I think he said like $50? This is a very precisely crafted double ocarina, and I think it should be competing with clay doubles in price range, not with single chamber plastics.
Saki Asakura's Youtube Channel
[+] My Ocarinas
Focalink B Type AC
Night By Noble AC
Focalink Limited Black Opal SG
Focalink Ensemble Double
Focalink Osawa i AC and SC
Imperial City Triple BC
Imperial City Tina's Custom SF
Luna Celta Galaxy ABb
Luna Celta Galaxy SEb
Tenrai Pendant SA (x2)
Classic Songbird AG Ocarina of Time XL

Amerred
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Triple Ocarinist x 3

November 20th, 2017, 12:38 am #300

Damn, it's pretty close. I hardly ever come on, it's great to see everything new that happens each time. $50 is a fantastic price, but I thought I heard somewhere that it would be closer to, like... $100? Don't quote me on that, I'm not at all sure. But even $100 is very decent, to be fair, and I could see a relatively low price considering that the polycarbonate models in the past have been... VERY reasonable, to put it plainly. Just... super accessible prices. Very nice. Meaning that this one might actually be a decent bargain as well. Excited to see it getting closer after all this time, anyway.
Sale currently going on here!
[+] Ocarinas I own:
:inline: Mountain Poly AC
:inline: Mountain Poly SG
:ocarina: 6th St. SF
:ocarina: 6th St. "art" TF
:ocarina: DBO Labyrinth AC
:budrio: Arrigo Mignani AC
:ocarina: STL Purple Clay SC
:oldoc: Hopf SG
:inline: DPP Amber Relic AC
:double: ICO Double SF
:oldoc: EWA SC
:oldoc: Fiehn SG
:oldoc: Fiehn AG#
:oldoc: Waterbury AC
:oldoc: Fiehn ABb
:pendant: Arlene Hayward SA
:pendant: Arlene Hayward SD
:ocarina: DBO SBb
:oldoc: EWA SF
:pendant: Tenrai SA
:pendant: DPP Transverse Pendant SC#
:oldoc: Gretsch AC
:ocarina: Night Provence AF
:oldoc: Hopf AC x 3 (Various models)
:triple: Solist Triple AC
:ocarina: Dinda SC
:ocarina: DBO Abstract AA
:double: Aketa Double AC
:oldoc: Gretsch SC
:ocarina: STL Santa Monica AC
:pendant: Missouri Mystery SD
:pendant: Missouri Mystery SB
:ocarina: Songbird Strawfire SG
:budrio: Emilio Cesari SF
:ocarina: DBO AC
:oldoc: Fiehn SE
:oldoc: Bondi SF
:ocarina: Mysterious Old Glory-like TF
:noblered: Noble Plastic AC
:ocarina: DBO SE
:pendant: STL MaxRange Double Pendant
:focalinksoprano: Focalink Plastic SC
:pendant: Arlene Hayward SEb
:oldoc: (Aketa) Prima Maestro AC
:budrio: Mezzetti SC
:oldoc: Mathieu AD
:ocarina: DBO AD(b)
:ocarina: DBO SA
:ocarina: Osawa i Plastic AC
:oldoc: Fiehn TEb (1877 stamp)
:budrio: Menaglio SC
:triple: Dinda Triple AC
:inline: Hind TF
:oldoc: Old Glory AC
:oldoc: Ideal (aka Missnia/Freyer) SF
:ocarina: Woodsound Plastic AC
:ocarina: Ocarina Wind AC
:ocarina: Focalink SC
:triple: Clacol TAC
:ocarina: TNG AC
:oldoc: Mysterious SF w/ tuning slide
:ocarina: Rotter Piccolo F
:ocarina: Dinda AA
:double: Dinda DAC
:oldoc: Old Glory BC
:ocarina: Spencer Concert Series AC
:double: Hense DAC (or DSC by his nomenclature)
:double: Pacchioni P* DSG
:oldoc: Mezzetti SE
:double: ICO Double AC