Moderator: Bateleur

viperdvman
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

December 22nd, 2009, 9:02 am #21

I've heard so much good about Mountain Ocarinas, especially how their polycarb's one of the highest quality plastics out there. I do like how all their other inlines look, though. Their Aluminum ones with their satin finish and their Warmstones look especially nice.

In the future, I might go for one of their other materials :) But for now, the Polycarb in G is in my signature list of "Future Ocarinas" :D

[+] I Own
WPN Double AC :double:
Focalink Double SG :double:
Langley Songstone :pendant:
Small Major Flute
by Erik The Flutemaker
Chinese Flute
by Erik The Flutemaker
Palmer 6-string Acoustic Guitar

[+] I Want
MO Polycarb SG :inline:
Songbird Dragon Tooth
A small number of Erik The Flutemaker's other flutes

kissing
Site Admin

December 22nd, 2009, 9:23 am #22

Yup, as the others have stated, the sound difference between polycarbonate and their more costly models is quite subtle.

I was able to compare a Warmstone G and C with the Polycarbonate G and C and saw no significant difference. Being very fussy, I recall the Warmstones sounding a bit clearer and firmer, while the polycarbs may have sounded a tad whispy and crispy. But it was very subtle.

That aside, their high end models certainly do look way more visually appealing and would feel a bit heftier to hold. They are definitely worth it if you really cherish Mountain ocarinas. They are a good deal on such well crafted, pretty little instruments with a big sound.
DavidRamos wrote:
sirhalos wrote:Zelda plays a Pan Flute in Spirit Tracks which comes out in a few days.
Seriously? They just ditched the Oc?! Please observe my emotional reaction...

:/
-_-
:omg:
:mad:
:rain:
:cry:
LOL Maybe its time for us to start playing the panflute instead.

I can already see it... TPN or PU :pirate:
Last edited by kissing on December 22nd, 2009, 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Armisis
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

December 22nd, 2009, 11:16 am #23

Someone needs to educate Nintendo and Link....

As for MO, they have the Al ones back in stock in a few different colors, I got a blue one quite nice, I have to admit out of the square voice hole ocs i have only MO and Dunster seem to have it done right, Terry Riley still uses it on his and its not quite got it right IMHO and John Langley has switched to round voice holes. I think MO has the voice hole right because of how its tooled and setup in a way that is easy to replicate in his making....

Dave

David D. Stanton
Ocarian Collector
DoD Information Systems Engineer, Google Product Forums (Nexus/Wear) Rising Star
http://www.youtube.com/armisis
https://plus.google.com/#+DavidDStanton/posts

Jafafa Hots
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

December 22nd, 2009, 12:14 pm #24

Armisis wrote:Someone needs to educate Nintendo and Link....

As for MO, they have the Al ones back in stock in a few different colors, I got a blue one quite nice, I have to admit out of the square voice hole ocs i have only MO and Dunster seem to have it done right, Terry Riley still uses it on his and its not quite got it right IMHO and John Langley has switched to round voice holes. I think MO has the voice hole right because of how its tooled and setup in a way that is easy to replicate in his making....

Dave
how would you say the terry rileys are not quite right? I'm very interested in his doubles...
Wanted: French ocarinas and fipple flutes ("tin" whistles etc.)

terryriley
Inline Ocarinist
Inline Ocarinist

December 22nd, 2009, 3:34 pm #25

Dave
Armisis:
ahah, the rectangular versus the round fipple argument surfaces again!
I use rectangular fipples on my single chamber instruments and emphasise that they should be played with a very gentle, constant blow. They are ideal for playing indoors. I do make some twin chamber instruments with rectangular fipples and they are better for playing indoors or for use with gentle amplification during performances BUT my twelve hole instruments and my performing twin chambers for musicians all have round or oval fipples which enables them to be played with a much stronger blow - much closer to the blow you would use when playing a flute.
Terry Riley

viperdvman
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

December 23rd, 2009, 10:15 am #26

kissing wrote:LOL Maybe its time for us to start playing the panflute instead.

I can already see it... TPN or PU :pirate:
I've actually been interested in playing a panflute since before Spirit Tracks was even thought of. It is what Peter Pan plays in the Disney movie...which is where I found out what a panflute looked like. I've known they were a type of wind instrument since I was a young kid (same time I learned what an ocarina was)

But yeah, some Zelda fans might actually get into the panflute. I can certainly credit the Zelda series for getting people interested in various instruments.
Last edited by viperdvman on December 23rd, 2009, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

[+] I Own
WPN Double AC :double:
Focalink Double SG :double:
Langley Songstone :pendant:
Small Major Flute
by Erik The Flutemaker
Chinese Flute
by Erik The Flutemaker
Palmer 6-string Acoustic Guitar

[+] I Want
MO Polycarb SG :inline:
Songbird Dragon Tooth
A small number of Erik The Flutemaker's other flutes

Armisis
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

December 23rd, 2009, 4:27 pm #27

terryriley wrote:

Dave
Armisis:
ahah, the rectangular versus the round fipple argument surfaces again!
I use rectangular fipples on my single chamber instruments and emphasise that they should be played with a very gentle, constant blow. They are ideal for playing indoors. I do make some twin chamber instruments with rectangular fipples and they are better for playing indoors or for use with gentle amplification during performances BUT my twelve hole instruments and my performing twin chambers for musicians all have round or oval fipples which enables them to be played with a much stronger blow - much closer to the blow you would use when playing a flute.
Terry Riley
Ah thank you for that info, it does make sense as they are great oc's and with your time making them I fully understand where your coming from in your choice to form them this way on the 6 hole oc's ect...

Dave

Now back to the topic of this thread... MO....

David D. Stanton
Ocarian Collector
DoD Information Systems Engineer, Google Product Forums (Nexus/Wear) Rising Star
http://www.youtube.com/armisis
https://plus.google.com/#+DavidDStanton/posts

Abreu
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

December 23rd, 2009, 4:43 pm #28

I've been considering buying a poly g... I'll travel to the USA on february, is there any chance to find them on a music sotre?

-My Ocarinas
[+] Spoiler
-Focalink 12-hole AC-B
-Focalink 12-hole Plastic AC
-Focalink TaiGie pendant
-Focalink handpainted tenor F pendant (Thank you jade! <3)
-Viento Kanta Double AC
-Noble bass C (Thank you Courtney!)
-Noble Mini Ocarina (Thank you Jade! <3)
-Langley soprano Eb pendant (Thank you Simon! <3)
-Terry Riley soprano D pendant (Thank you Jade! <3)
-Gosselink Bird in Gb
-New Vista bass C pendant (Thanks marco!)
-Vicente 10-hole SG
-Teddy Tseng's "Woodalink" AC (Thank you Bat! <3)
-WPN 12-hole soprano C
-STL 6 hole ocarina necklace
-Peruvian 8-hole pendant
ocarinas I owned:
[+] Spoiler
-STL Zelda Tenor "special" edition (broke)
-WPN/STL 12 hole plastic (sold)
-The very first Hind Corian Double Ocarina (Returned it to Laa already <3)
-Vicente 10-hole AG (gave it to Jade)
-Songbird #80 Dragontooth (Traded it with Courtandrich)

ubizmo
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple Ocarinist x 4

December 23rd, 2009, 5:32 pm #29

Abreu wrote:I've been considering buying a poly g... I'll travel to the USA on february, is there any chance to find them on a music sotre?
Unlikely. Mountain Ocarinas no longer sells wholesale to retail stores. You have to buy them online, either from Mountain directly or on Ebay. But if you're in the US long enough, you could save a chunk of money on shipping by ordering while you're here.

Ubizmo

Some of my videos are now used promotionally by Mountain Ocarinas.

Abreu
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

December 23rd, 2009, 5:41 pm #30

I'll saty there for like, 10 days, I think...

-My Ocarinas
[+] Spoiler
-Focalink 12-hole AC-B
-Focalink 12-hole Plastic AC
-Focalink TaiGie pendant
-Focalink handpainted tenor F pendant (Thank you jade! <3)
-Viento Kanta Double AC
-Noble bass C (Thank you Courtney!)
-Noble Mini Ocarina (Thank you Jade! <3)
-Langley soprano Eb pendant (Thank you Simon! <3)
-Terry Riley soprano D pendant (Thank you Jade! <3)
-Gosselink Bird in Gb
-New Vista bass C pendant (Thanks marco!)
-Vicente 10-hole SG
-Teddy Tseng's "Woodalink" AC (Thank you Bat! <3)
-WPN 12-hole soprano C
-STL 6 hole ocarina necklace
-Peruvian 8-hole pendant
ocarinas I owned:
[+] Spoiler
-STL Zelda Tenor "special" edition (broke)
-WPN/STL 12 hole plastic (sold)
-The very first Hind Corian Double Ocarina (Returned it to Laa already <3)
-Vicente 10-hole AG (gave it to Jade)
-Songbird #80 Dragontooth (Traded it with Courtandrich)