Milt invented a mute equipment exclusively for ocarina!

Shion Itsuki for Milt
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Transverse Ocarinist x 2

October 28th, 2016, 2:56 pm #1

Hi, long time no see here on TON.
Please be advised that Milt sends you an important message about his recent invention.

Thank you so much for spending your time to read the message in advance.
:) c: C: :) c: C: :) c: C:

===== Message from Milt =====

【Mr. Mute, invented by Milt】

I am so pleased to announce to the ocarina communities all over the world that I invented and developed into a world first mute equipment for exclusively ocarina, capable of help controlling breath pressure. It is called, Mr. Mute.

Since the invention of the first ocarina, such an equipment for ocarina did not exist due to its unique structure and characteristics (it is not exactly a wind instrument and it is a pot-like shape closing one end) as well as a large variety in size, shape, sound, etc.,.even though mute equipment for other music instrument has been invented.

By knowing the uniqueness of ocarina, I changed my mindset ; during development process, I tried to make a structure to adjust the volume of air before it enters in to ocarina through the wind way, instead of reducing the volume of sound itself because the sound is created on ocarina after air is blown into the inside of the ocarina. This successfully lead to the invention of Mr. Mute.

The brief explanation of what can be done by Mr. Mute:

As for most of the ocarina,

- it does not impact/change the pitch of ocarina
- you can play ocarina with almost the same blow-in feeling as usual
- The intrinsic gentle sound of ocarina remains unchanged
- The volume of sound can be reduced by about 20db
(about one tenth of the level that is reached commonly on ocarina so that you can play ocarina outside at night time)

In addition,

If a player cannot control the breath pressure properly, even the player is a newbie, he/she can recognize that the breath pressure is not controlled properly ;

This is very first technical concept in the world for ocarina, I decided to apply for the international patent a couple of years ago and now it is under process to obtain the intellectual properly right in multiple countries.

Mr. Mute can be used for almost all ocarina (single chamber ocarinas only so far) no matter whatever maker is. I will work on developing an adapter for ocarinas with particularly unique shape and size of its mouthpiece.

As for multi-chamber ocarinas, I would like to discuss with each ocarina maker, if they are interested in, how we can collaborate with them to develop Mr. Mute to attach to their own multi-chamber ocarinas since it requires for Mr. Mute to be attachable according to the shape of the mouthpiece of the multi-chamber ocarinas. I am more than happy to work on this. Please feel free to contact me or Office Itsuki Agency Co., Ltd for further discussion.

Mr. Mute consists of two components, flexibly used to specific ocarina characteristics by changing its combination, taking a large variation of breath pressure required for each ocarina as well as a large variety of feeling that a player has when he/she blows in as “usual” into consideration. Accordingly, the player can adjust the setting of Mr. Mute so that he/she can play ocarina on breath pressure as he/she likes.

Furthermore, if the setting of Mr. Mute is adjusted in accordance with their preference of the breath pressure, or adjusted in accordance with specific strength and speed of the breath as expected for users of ocarinas by each maker or expected for the students by each ocarina teacher, the users or the students feel like as if they are taking lessons on controlling breath pressure on ocarina any time as long as they use Mr. Mute. In other words, Mr. Mute can be used effectively as equipment to learn and practice breath control (the ocarina makes strange noise or does not make any sound if the breath pressure is not controlled properly, so the user, even though he/she is a beginner, can easily recognize it).

Since it is the very first product based on the very first concept in the world, I am sure it takes so long time for the prospective users to understand how to use it properly, or the concept of muting sound on ocarina, and to use it comfortably.

In order to teach how to use Mr. Mute properly and effectively (based on the concept of muting sound on ocarina) to as many ocarina lovers as possible, I would very much appreciate it if the ocarina teachers in the world could help me deliver seminars and workshops all around the world. Please feel free to share any idea and discuss possibilities.

I spent long and difficult time in developing Mr. Mute because it was the first experience for me to develop and produce a certain product. First I did not know what to do, but Nagamine Manufacturing Co., Ltd., especially Mr. Toru Kusanagi, a technical adviser for Nagamine Manufacturing, spent tremendous time and efforts for development of Mr. Mute. I would like to thank you for their patience, support and dedication.

I officially announce here that I will use the proceeds that I am entitled to as the inventor, out of sale of Mr. Mute to achieve my personal goal. I decided to be a professional musician to help the more vulnerable live as human being by providing my own musical skills. Ever since, I have been working on KOP (Khmer Ocarina Project) to support music education in Cambodia, and I have been trying to be of help to correct an injustice in the world even if only slightly. Finally, I have got a chance to do it though the invention of Mr. Mute. Office Itsuki Agency will handle Mr. Mute to offer to the ocarina communities in the world and contribute the full amount of the patent fees payable to me as inventor of Mr. Mute to General Social Foundation Hibiki (meaning the sound) for assistance activities such as KOP or contribution to the society.

I would like to say big thank you to two fellow ocarina enthusiasts, Katsumi Masuda and Chizuko Kawai (the members of the ocarina group called Suiheisen or Horizon in English) for their great support for me in the same spirit of mine. They are also the member of KOP. I am extremely happy to have such wonderful friends in my life.

On a final note, once again I would like to say thank you to all concerned and hope to have your continuous support for me and Mr. Mute.

Milt, Ocarina Player

Jubal
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

October 28th, 2016, 4:28 pm #2

Interesting. Is there a demonstration video?
"Bach gave us God's Word. Mozart gave us God's laughter. Beethoven gave us God's fire. God gave us Music that we might pray without words." -Alte Oper Haus, Frankfurt, Germany

PSA: Modern agriculture is a good thing.
[+] My Ocarina Collection
:pendant: Oberon 6 hole Sopranino Eb
:pendant: Songbird Black Spiral 4 hole Sopranino F
:pendant: STL Blue Rupee 6 hole Soprano C
:pendant: Tenrai 8 hole Soprano C
:pendant: Terry Riley 5 hole Soprano Bb
:pendant: Clayz Turtle 4 hole Soprano A
:oldoc: Vintage Mathieu 10 hole Soprano C
:ocarina: Menaglio Sol 2
:ocarina: Pure 11 hole Alto D (Prototype; Refinished by Larry Tew)
:ocarina: Rotter 10 hole Meissen C3
:ocarina: Terry Riley 10 hole Alto Bb
:oldoc: Vintage Guido Bondi 10 hole 13C
:ocarina: Spoony 10 hole Bass C
:inline: Mountain Polycarbonate G
:inline: Mountain Polycarbonate C
:inline: TNG 12 hole Inline Alto C
:double: Alan Albright Eb/Ab

Harp Player
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

October 28th, 2016, 4:53 pm #3

This reads about like one of those ads for the latest wonder product you see on TV.

carbon
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

October 28th, 2016, 10:49 pm #4

I had a chance to try a prototype shortly after the 2015 US Ocarina Festival. I was really impressed by the design and am looking forward to seeing/hearing a full production model. It's definitely something people who live in apartments or keep odd hours will want.

Shion Itsuki for Milt
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Transverse Ocarinist x 2

October 28th, 2016, 11:57 pm #5

Jubal wrote:Interesting. Is there a demonstration video?
Yes, we did a shooting on Nov. 17 to make DVD to explain how it works, how to use it properly, considering three major types of users.

1. Those who do not want to care about setting or anything. Just take it out of the box and use it.
2. Those who are at still beginner/intermediate level and sometimes have difficulties to control the breath pressure.
3. Those who really want to practice seriously, control the breath pressure, etc., depending on the characteristics of individual ocarina they have

Most difficult part was, since ocarina varies in size and shape of the mouthpiece, breath pressure proper to each ocarina, the strength of the breath pressure of a player, etc., (actually there are tons of varieties), to make a structure capable of adjusting the setting to each person.

Now DVD is in editing process and it will be published in Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English languages.
It will be given away to first 1000 purchasers of Mr. Mute.

We will prepare for YouTube section in Milt Ocarina World YouTube Channel to show you more details as well as Q&A sections.
Milt will answer to questions. C:
Harp Player wrote:This reads about like one of those ads for the latest wonder product you see on TV.
hahaha ^^

What kind of wonder product? I am just interested in.

Hope this would be helpful for those who has difficulties to find time or environment to practice ocarina as mush as he/she likes.

There are huge demand in Japan since Japan is a small country and people living so closely in a relatively small apartment,
even the family members complain about how noisy it is to play ocarina, especially the player is a beginner type ><.
carbon wrote:I had a chance to try a prototype shortly after the 2015 US Ocarina Festival. I was really impressed by the design and am looking forward to seeing/hearing a full production model. It's definitely something people who live in apartments or keep odd hours will want.
Hi, Joh, finally we reached to this point.

It was so hard to materialize the idea, considering the cost of development, time we had to use, the level of understanding about ocarina that the manufacturer has, etc. to name a few.

We are preparing for the crowdfunding for this product to procure the fund we need for the final stage of the development before the full production model will be out. It is planned to be out in late December or January 2017. ^^

Last edited by Shion Itsuki for Milt on October 29th, 2016, 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vendace
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

October 29th, 2016, 6:46 pm #6

I just saw this on the facebook group. This looks like a really great idea, and I would certainly buy one of these, depending on price. the Idea is fascinating, and the promise of a quieter tune without loss of quality very much interests me.

vints22
Pendant Ocarinist
Pendant Ocarinist

October 30th, 2016, 12:03 am #7

and i just spent 5 days shopping for a quieter ocarina when all i need is this.. haha. i would like to hear it first, could anyone share link to a youtube video or something? i checked but i cannot find anything.

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

October 30th, 2016, 12:51 am #8

vints22 wrote:and i just spent 5 days shopping for a quieter ocarina when all i need is this.. haha. i would like to hear it first, could anyone share link to a youtube video or something? i checked but i cannot find anything.
If you have Facebook, Milt posted a video of himself playing Fly Me to the Moon using the Mr. Mute.

https://www.facebook.com/milt.ocarina/v ... 034937411/
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer

Harp Player
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

October 30th, 2016, 3:47 am #9

Why not just use the blue painters tape trick?

You cover 1/2 of your fipple with the tap (you may need to adjust slightly) and play as normal. Your volume will be greatly reduced and tuning only slightly affected. For those of you on the MO forums you can read the thread about it there.

ContraMuffin
Inline Ocarinist
Inline Ocarinist

October 30th, 2016, 5:39 am #10

Just watched the demo video, Mr. Mute sounds pretty airy. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty impressive, but the airiness is still a bit distracting. Perhaps Milt should look into a way to minimize the airy sound next?
[+] My ocarinas
  • Cheap ocarina-shaped sculpture
  • Focalink Dulce DAC
[+] Ocarinas I'm looking at
  • STL Purple Clay Mini
  • ICO Triple BC/AC
  • STL Aria Triple