speckles
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

March 21st, 2009, 7:42 am #31

Your tutorial is fascinating, and your photos and descriptions are excellent! Thank you, Lanea! :D

Lanea
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Transverse Ocarinist x 3

March 21st, 2009, 8:29 am #32

Thank you all for your encouraging comments... That makes me want to open a shop immediately :D
Alas, I have other duties and I am sure that I won't sell in the near future. Sorry about that. Maybe I sell these prototypes when I one day have made some even better ones for myself :p

The double is waiting at my working place, I hope that I soon find time to continue with it. I will post pictures of it here. And I have found the next pieces of nice looking wood... just laying next to my double. Depending on its outcome I may even try a triple next :p
Experimenting is sooo much fun :D

Ah, I found something out during this making session. The windway should be narrowing in width and height. Not only in height, as I've done it this time (An experiment to optimize the speed in the working process). It is possible to get nice sound out of it, but its harder, as you have to work more accurate on the sides of your voice hole. :)

Nice one, AdamR45!
I thought of making an ocarina in that way too, but as I had enough wood and carving tools already I started right out with a sweet potato :)
Try one made out of some harder wood, that will cause less splinters around the holes, then it would look really professional. :) Or you just bevel the holes of this one a little to cover the splinters and then start polishing it and oiling. That will make it look perfect :D I like the positions of your fingerholes, they seem to be very comfortably set for an inline :)

King Ocarina
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

March 26th, 2009, 5:55 am #33

absolutely beautiful

really helped me understand how the windway works for wooden ocs

Jon_K
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Inline Ocarinist x 2

March 26th, 2009, 11:53 pm #34

Wow...just wow. Lately, I've been scouring the internet for anything resembling a wooden oc tutorial. This turned out to be a really informational and detailed tutorial...I'm going to use this process to make one after my classes are over, with a very small amount of hand tools.

These images are really all I need to put the missing pieces together of how I thought I'd be doing it.

Thank you for sharing this with everyone.

(Left to Right) Focalink Double AC, Rice Krispies Toy, Homemade Pendant, STL/WPN Alto C

Lanea
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Transverse Ocarinist x 3

March 27th, 2009, 11:00 am #35

:) I hoped to spread the wooden ocarina making virus ;)
It is so much fun. And I think wooden ocarinas have the sweetest sound of all.

Tadaa! Here it is:

http://s4b.directupload.net/file/d/1746 ... i7_jpg.htm

A wooden double with extended range, it even plays additional extra high notes on the second chamber :) Alas my tuners battery is low and some little fine tuning is still to be done... I just couldn't wait for the supermarket and oiled it meanwhile to motivate myself :)
I really don't know why the holes on the second chamber had to be that big. Maybe the shape of the chamber was too narrow... But luckily the hole size seems not to affect the tone. I will nevertheless slightly alter the chambers shape the next time :)
Ah, and I had by chance the opportunity to add an additional subhole which reaches to low G# or very softblown to G. Also I made an additional hole on the second chamber to reach low D. Just to give that nice idea a try (I've seen it first on nobles ocarinas). :)

Update on my wooden ocarina collection:

http://s4b.directupload.net/file/d/1746 ... i4_jpg.htm

They are from left to right (somehow):
Hind Tenor F
Woodsound Alto C
Four Acacia Ocarinas (Double AC, Tenor A, Sop F, Sop A)
Common Spruce Ocarinas (Sop E, Harmony AC/SF, 3xSop A)

Have Fun :TON:

Glup
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Triple Ocarinist x 3

March 27th, 2009, 1:39 pm #36

Wow! The double is AMAZING!!! :jumpy:
And so are the rest of the collection! :D
Can't wait until you post more of these! :D
Called Totten94 on youtube!

Started playing my first ocarina christmas 2008..
[+] Favorite Ocarinas
- Maparam Triple AC :triple:
- Focalink Forte Triple BC :triple:
- Maparam AC :ocarina:
- Solist plastic AC :ocarina:
- MO Warmstone G :inline:

shadowyi
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

March 27th, 2009, 2:07 pm #37

Lanea, you absolutely break my heart saying you won't be selling your ocarinas. I'm always on the hunt for wooden ocarinas (especially doubles!) and yours looks absolutely amazing. When do we get to hear sound samples? Hats off to you for such skill and I do hope you'll sell a couple in the future!

Designed by Jacob. TONian!

Small sheet music update! Find them at Shadow's sheets!
Shadow's Pokemon-esque music story is being revised! (no new updates yet) Click here!

Myung
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

March 27th, 2009, 2:43 pm #38

Incredible!
I'm so impressed by these new ocarinas, especially the double!
It looks like alot of fun to make a wooden ocarina, but also ALOT of work! O_O
So yeah Hind's prices are more than justified imo. :D

Tye Possum
Double Ocarinist x 5
Double Ocarinist x 5

March 27th, 2009, 3:45 pm #39

:O !!!!! Awesome! Very nice work there Lanea. MUST MAKE WOODEN OCARINA!!!!! Too bad I can't get any decent wood around here... Well I'll figure something out, great instructions, I hadn't even thought about a wedge in the windway. :thumbsup:
I wander far but am not lost, I follow the lights though should not trust, when night time falls I stop and play, a tune that I made up this day.

Number of ocarinas currently: 12

ocarevolutionary
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

March 27th, 2009, 3:53 pm #40

Spectacular work, Lanea! I'm more than impressed. I was worried that your second chamber was too small (edit-I meant large), but I guess it worked out! So is the range from low G/G# to the C a little over two octaves higher?

edit- (I bet there'll be a lot of folks finding out that its not as easy as it looks in your pictures :( )
Last edited by ocarevolutionary on March 27th, 2009, 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
STL Ocarina affiliate (JULY09) MaxRange ocarinas are officially licensed by STL Ocarina. MaxRange double, MaxRange Pendant, and Double Pendant now available!
The "mother of all ocarinas" comes soon...