Forum rules
Welcome to Q&A! If you have questions that you want to ask, please shoot them right here.
Please only post questions here.

The topic title should clearly suggest the questions you are about to ask or already contain the question itself.
A bad topic title would be [i]PLEASE HELP!!! [/i], [i]IMPORTANT QUESTION! [/i], [i]ANSWER ME! [/i] or [i]QUESTIONS [/i] and the like. Topics like this will be closed.
A good topic title would be [i]Choosing between Maparam triple and Focalink Triple [/i] or [i]The differences between an Ocarina and a Bamboo Chopstick? [/i]

Happy asking!

in need of a QUIET ocarina

vints22
Pendant Ocarinist
Pendant Ocarinist

October 30th, 2016, 12:23 am #1

Hello! i have been shopping for a few days, reading forums, but i am newb in ocarinas and music in general...
i have a 6 holes in alto G ( i think), it is very loud and annoying for my roomates! i was thinking of buying The muse :muse: because its softer on the ears (+i really like the sound) but i am not sure because it is 10 holes in F or E flat. I am gona play alone ( mostly ) so i dont need a specific key, but idk if i am gona learn well with a book for 12 holes AC.

Maybe worth saying i am interested in playing video game music like zelda and the elder scrolls.

What should i do? do you think i will be fine with The muse or do you know a soft (more quiet) 12holes AC? after all that internet reserch i bought hal leonard ocarina method and if nobody change my mind im going for facalink plastic 12 holes AC and the muse (eenie meenie mo F or E flat)

any opinion or help will be appreciated :)

(sorry for broken english, im french canadian)
Last edited by vints22 on October 30th, 2016, 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Harp Player
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

October 30th, 2016, 3:49 am #2

You can use some blue painters tape to cover about 1/2 of the fipple and it will make your ocarina much quieter, but a slight bit flat.

Daniel
Double Ocarinist x 3
Double Ocarinist x 3

October 30th, 2016, 12:49 pm #3

Giorgio Cataldi can probably make you a fairly quiet alto G seaplane ocarina (I have a seaplane double alto G from him, with first chamber identical to a 10 hole single chamber, and it's probably the quietest ocarina on that chamber I have found - and I looked high and low and spent lots of money trying to find quiet). From my experience, that's your best bet.

Or milt has a new ocarina mute, but I don't know much about it.
"His head and his hair were white like wool, as white as snow. And his eyes were like flames of fire. His feet were like polished bronze refined in a furnace, and his voice thundered like mighty ocean waves. He held seven stars in his right hand, and a sharp two-edged sword came from his mouth. And his face was like the sun in all its brilliance." r1

Wish list

vints22
Pendant Ocarinist
Pendant Ocarinist

October 30th, 2016, 1:28 pm #4

that you, i will try the tape.
i contacted Giorgio tank you. i checked milt video, do you know where to buy that? cant find it on ebay

tytoalba
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

October 30th, 2016, 3:59 pm #5

I can realize any ocarina in a quiet version. The tone remains clear and clean without any airiness, from first to last note. I answered in PM
An example of quiet ocarina Alto C. There is a version of Sweet Potato mk IX
[+] Spoiler

Last edited by tytoalba on October 30th, 2016, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[+] Spoiler
My Oc:
Ogawa in C
Menaglio Do3
Spencer Alto C
Pacchioni Do3
Claudio Colombo Cirillo1 Do3 11 holes
Claudio Colombo AC 12 holes
Claudio Colombo triple AC
Rotter AC 11 holes
Rotter AC 12 holes
Rotter BC 10 holes
Jade Everett AC 11 holes
Songbird Bluelustre Alto C
Maparam AC 12 holes prima serie
Maparam Soprano C 12 fori
Noble Soprano C 12 holes
Noble Soprano G 12 holes
Noble AC 12 holes Ensemble
Noble AC 12 holes Ensemble black
Noble Contrabass C
Kurt Posch AC 9 holes
Kurt Posch Double AC
Kurt Posch Soprano G 10 holes
Kurt Posch Soprano C 10 holes
Takashi AC Double

Daniel
Double Ocarinist x 3
Double Ocarinist x 3

October 30th, 2016, 11:56 pm #6

Giorgio, you're one of the best makers out there. I love the 10 hole bulbo ocarina. Keep up the great work.
"His head and his hair were white like wool, as white as snow. And his eyes were like flames of fire. His feet were like polished bronze refined in a furnace, and his voice thundered like mighty ocean waves. He held seven stars in his right hand, and a sharp two-edged sword came from his mouth. And his face was like the sun in all its brilliance." r1

Wish list

Harp Player
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

October 31st, 2016, 3:39 am #7

I think that the milt gadget is still pre production

tytoalba
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

October 31st, 2016, 9:14 am #8

In this video of last April, I did a test with the measurement of breath effort of Quiet SP IX
Remember that any mouth applied to the Mouthpiece, tends to increase slightly the effort of breath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaKNamRklf4
Last edited by tytoalba on October 31st, 2016, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
[+] Spoiler
My Oc:
Ogawa in C
Menaglio Do3
Spencer Alto C
Pacchioni Do3
Claudio Colombo Cirillo1 Do3 11 holes
Claudio Colombo AC 12 holes
Claudio Colombo triple AC
Rotter AC 11 holes
Rotter AC 12 holes
Rotter BC 10 holes
Jade Everett AC 11 holes
Songbird Bluelustre Alto C
Maparam AC 12 holes prima serie
Maparam Soprano C 12 fori
Noble Soprano C 12 holes
Noble Soprano G 12 holes
Noble AC 12 holes Ensemble
Noble AC 12 holes Ensemble black
Noble Contrabass C
Kurt Posch AC 9 holes
Kurt Posch Double AC
Kurt Posch Soprano G 10 holes
Kurt Posch Soprano C 10 holes
Takashi AC Double

acox
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

October 31st, 2016, 1:43 pm #9

tytoalba wrote:I can realize any ocarina in a quiet version. The tone remains clear and clean without any airiness, from first to last note. I answered in PM
An example of quiet ocarina Alto C. There is a version of Sweet Potato mk IX
[+] Spoiler

absolutely beautiful work Giorgio.

Mikael
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

November 29th, 2016, 2:19 pm #10

As far as I recall from when I was active here, Charlie Hind's ocarinas were said to be of a more quiet nature.
I don't have any personal experience with them though, so take that as you will.