Forum rules
Welcome to Q&A! If you have questions that you want to ask, please shoot them right here.
Please only post questions here.

The topic title should clearly suggest the questions you are about to ask or already contain the question itself.
A bad topic title would be [i]PLEASE HELP!!! [/i], [i]IMPORTANT QUESTION! [/i], [i]ANSWER ME! [/i] or [i]QUESTIONS [/i] and the like. Topics like this will be closed.
A good topic title would be [i]Choosing between Maparam triple and Focalink Triple [/i] or [i]The differences between an Ocarina and a Bamboo Chopstick? [/i]

Happy asking!
Kitten Forest
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

November 29th, 2016, 10:44 pm #11

Mikael wrote:As far as I recall from when I was active here, Charlie Hind's ocarinas were said to be of a more quiet nature.
I don't have any personal experience with them though, so take that as you will.
I have a Hind inline and it is really quiet. I haven't played any of his transverse style, but I do know they are good. I do know that the 12 hole ocarinas Songbird calls "Allegro Alto C" are quieter than most of my other altos, close to the same as my Focalink plastic one. The thing that is different with this ocarina is that most of the notes can be played best with similar levels of breath exception being high C-F needing more. Also note that if you use sub-holes, both Allegro and Sonaro have both sub-holes used by the right hand instead of one on each side like the plastic ones do.
[+] My Ocarinas
:triple: ICO Triple BC
:ocarina: Songbird SoL
:focalinkblue: Focalink plastic AC and SC
:ocarina: Songbird Allegro AC
:pendant: Songbird Seedpod AC
:ocarina: Focalink Strawfire AG
:inline: Hind Harmony Double Tenor F
:OoT: Dreambirth Bass A
:ocarina: Rotter Z Fans (AC and SC)
:OoT: Songbird OoT Kokiri Edition AC
:pendant: Songbird Pokeball AD
:oldoc: Gretsch SG

Gemstone
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Transverse Ocarinist x 3

December 26th, 2016, 7:30 pm #12

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone of you has or had a nice and calm Christmas. I've been lurking around in the forum for a while since I have had not much time but now it's a bit better.
The same issue the topic starter named came up for me recently, and I would have opened a new thread but then I remembered this one. So I hope it's okay when I'm posting here as my questions are quite closely related.

I'm not sure if the ocarinas you have already mentioned are AC 12 hole ocarinas? The two ocarinas I have are both 12 holes (STL Aria Ocarina and Focalink Plastic AC) and I like them both, I'm getting along quite well with the number of holes, so I don't really want to change that. But I think both of them are quite loud; too loud for my ears when I'm playing for a while, too loud for the rooms of our house and maybe even for the neighbours (I didn't get any complaints yet, but they could start). Also I'd like to get a Bass or Tenor or another Alto, as long as it is not so loud, and I really like a warm, mellow and deep tone. If you could recommend me some other 12 hole ocarinas which are quiet, how could I get them? I'm living in Switzerland in the middle of Europe, so I am not sure about what ocarina makers are hipping to which places.

I'm seriously thinking about starting to save up money for a Hind Sweet Potato Ocarina, an Alto or a Bass; I think they are worth it. Do you know more about how quiet they are? Do you know something about the breath requirements of quiet ocarinas, I imagine they need less strong breathing? (I'm sorry if this is a stupid question :O )

Best regards
Carina
[+] Reading...
Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen (Part III - Memories of Ice)
Ian C. Esslemont - Path to Ascendancy (Part I - Dancer's Lament)
[+] Listening to...
Final Fantasy Distant Worlds - All Discs

Achint
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

December 27th, 2016, 5:27 am #13

Heyo Carina!

Hind Altos are actually not that soft. They're comparable in volume to Focalinks Vivo model. The Tenor F is a bit softer, but can still get a little loud on the highest notes.

First up, as an audio engineer I would ask you to protect your ears! We have had a member in the past who quit playing ocarinas for the most part because he suffered from tinnitus and the sound of the ocarina started hurting his ears.
I also suffer from tinnitus (unrelated to ocarina playing) in my left ear and without proper ear protection certain notes on the higher pitched ocarinas do cause a nasty tingling sensation.

As for a quiet ocarina, definitely go in for a bass ocarina. If you can afford the Hind, that would be my recommendation but that's because I'm biased. The breath requirements on a Hind are not for everyone. To give you an idea of how little breath a Hind takes; imagine you're blowing on to hot food to cool it down. It's not even enough to blow out a candle.
Possibly look into a Noble Bass or a Takashi bass.

Alternately, get in touch with Giorgio Cataldi of Tytoalba ocarinas. He makes custom ocarinas (that are fantastic) and can cater them to your specification, both in terms of pitch and volume. He's made a double Alto G for me in the past and it's one of my all time favourite ocarinas now.
BATCHINT! <3
[+] My Ocarinas
:ocarina: Jade Everett AC
:ocarina: Oberon Ocarinas AC
:ocarina: Hind Tenor F
:double: Tytoalba DAG

Gemstone
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Transverse Ocarinist x 3

December 27th, 2016, 10:43 am #14

Hi Achint,

Thank you for your advice and for sharing your experience.
As for ear protection, I've got some low priced ear plugs, maybe I should think of getting others. I don't like the feeling of them in my ears (they are made of wax covered with some kind of fluffy wool or so), and as long as I don't get intonation better on my ocarinas, apart from the fact that I'd also like to get another one, I'd like to hear myself while playing as clearly as possible. I'm going to try playing with the ear plugs I've got.

I have no experience with bass ocarinas; I listened to the sound sample on Mr Hind's web page and I love the sound of the Hind Bass ocarina. And I also like the looks of it. Do you know if they are lightweight?
Right now I could afford it, but as I never know how much money I need exactly, I want to save up money for it. I imagine it would be okay for me if it takes (very) little breath.
Could you please tell me where I could look into the Noble or Takashi ocarinas, so that I can see what they look and sound like, how heavy they are, and where I could get them?
Again, thank you very much for your advice, I greatly appreciate it. :)
Last edited by Gemstone on December 27th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[+] Reading...
[+] Listening to...

Achint
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

December 27th, 2016, 7:03 pm #15

No problem!

Hind ocarinas are very light, so yea, I doubt you'd have a problem holding on to them. I should add that Hinds are only 11 holes, not 12. The 12th hole is just a split hole for the pinky finger so you can easily play the C# note.

You can find Takashi ocarinas here: http://www.pankuolong.url.tw/ Click on "To order" then "ocarina" to see what ocarinas he has and the prices. Then you email him on the email given on the front page and arrange payment and all that.

Aaaand youn can find Noble Basses here https://www.nobleocarina.net/Ncv5/m/ite ... id_key=A55

I would personally go in for either the Hind or Takashi. I prefer the slightly purer tone of the Takashi. If you like something a little more textured, go for the Noble. Another reason to go for Takashi might be the finger holes on the Noble Bass. David explains it well here: https://youtu.be/-w7_bq4LFTs?t=263
BATCHINT! <3
[+] My Ocarinas

Gemstone
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Transverse Ocarinist x 3

December 27th, 2016, 10:08 pm #16

Thanks again! I'm going to look at the video and the links tomorrow or another time this week.
I'm just slightly confused because of the Hind ocarinas being 11 holes, as you mentioned. Could I play one the same way I play my 12 holes or is there a difference (apart from the C# fingering)?
[+] Reading...
[+] Listening to...

Achint
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

December 27th, 2016, 10:39 pm #17

You can play them just the same as your 12 hole for the most part. Basically that second sub-hole that you have on your other ocarinas doesn't exist on a Hind. So you can go down to the low B, but not the low A.
BATCHINT! <3
[+] My Ocarinas

Daniel
Double Ocarinist x 3
Double Ocarinist x 3

December 28th, 2016, 5:38 pm #18

I second Tytoalba ;-)
"His head and his hair were white like wool, as white as snow. And his eyes were like flames of fire. His feet were like polished bronze refined in a furnace, and his voice thundered like mighty ocean waves. He held seven stars in his right hand, and a sharp two-edged sword came from his mouth. And his face was like the sun in all its brilliance." r1

Wish list

Gemstone
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Transverse Ocarinist x 3

December 29th, 2016, 11:16 am #19

Hey Daniel, can you please tell me why you prefer the Tytoalba? I've heard they are great ocarinas and I do not doubt it at all, I'm just curious about your preference and opinion :) If this is getting too much off-topic, you can also PM me if you like :)
Edit: I just forgot to mention that I have to admit right now I think I'd prefer the wooden ocarina. I like the material for an instrument, I love its looks and think it's great that it is lightweight. Maybe the looks bias me, because I never played one, but I can't tell. C:
Last edited by Gemstone on December 29th, 2016, 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
[+] Reading...
[+] Listening to...

Wulfthari
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Transverse Ocarinist x 5

December 29th, 2016, 11:21 am #20

Gemstone wrote:Thanks again! I'm going to look at the video and the links tomorrow or another time this week.
I'm just slightly confused because of the Hind ocarinas being 11 holes, as you mentioned. Could I play one the same way I play my 12 holes or is there a difference (apart from the C# fingering)?
Of the ocarinas I have tried the quietest are the 1000 leaves and the Aketa Sonetto S-5C.

The S-5C was designed to be a low breath partner of the standard T5C....they both have 12 holes.
Currently owned:

Night 11 holes old model :oldoc:
Menaglio Sol4 :oldoc:
Menaglio glazed Do3
STL double OoT :OoT:
Takashi triple :double:
Icarus triple: :triple:
1000 leaves C3: oldoc:
Spirit C3: oldoc:
Aketa Kazu T5 : oldoc:
Rotter Galliani
Rotter OoT