Blue Dolphin
Inline Ocarinist x 5
Inline Ocarinist x 5

July 6th, 2010, 2:26 am #11

I have enjoyed everything that has been written here so far ! Very useful with great tips and insights.
Thanks to all of you. C:
Last edited by Blue Dolphin on July 6th, 2010, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Isobelise
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Pendant Ocarinist x 3

October 5th, 2010, 10:21 am #12

I allways think that if you can play a Musical scale fluently and without a flaw (off-tune) you're pretty well along the way.
I used to do this everyday on the guitar and it helps a lot! With the ocarina aswell, even after only playing it for 5 days I notice a increase of clear tones and a better souplesse in my fingers. I can also hear that in the little songs I now play ^^.
Hope this will help some one :D

Kisses Liz

(sorry for my bad musical jargon)
"That's cute....BUT IT"S WRONG!!!"

ocarina's I have:
[+] Spoiler
:pendant: Scarab Alto C
:inline: mountain, Polycarbonate, Key of C
:ocarina: Noble Alto C

I want:
:pendant: Facolink Alto G

Vermin
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

October 5th, 2010, 11:09 am #13

Well, if you can't play a scale in tune, you definitely have a lot to exercise. Playing songs in tune will be harder as well. It does make a lot of sense. I should really start playing scales more often. I always have a tuner with me (one that that I can even call with yeah). Tuners have been, and still are, very helpful to me. I feel the main problem with ocarinas is that you can't always find that piece Kresimir was talking about. That piece that had these challenges. Of coarse, even easier songs can be challenging. I've been able to play Hatvikah for a very long time, but that was all about technique. It was only recently that I found out how much interpretation and such lives inside of me, but as of yet, I can't use it unless a much more skilled musician is playing along. Thank God I have a roommate who lives the guitar. I think having people accompany you can be very useful. It will allow you to use their interpretation to create something cool. Especially for beginners like me, that is very useful. Those people can also correct you when you're making mistakes of which you're not aware.
The only way to become good is to become the best. -Me =D

Because it is my dream to speak directly to people's hearts...

lostandfrowned
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Pendant Ocarinist x 4

October 6th, 2010, 2:18 pm #14

i thought this was helpful!

though sometimes i just play things for the fun of it

sometimes i just dont even really play at all i just play along with songs that i hear and try to mimic them XD
{i own}
http://www.stlocarina.com/ztenordis.html

i am requesting a few things right now
[+] Spoiler
Resonance- SOUL EATER OPENING
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6850559/1/
THROUGH THE FIRE AND FLAMES
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6849115/
YASASHII YOAKE - .HACK ENDING
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6848132/
MELTDOWN-PIANO VERSION RIN KAGAMINE
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7102740/

Vermin
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

October 6th, 2010, 10:22 pm #15

That's an extremely great thing to do. It will help you develop a better musical hearing, which in turn might help you keeping your oc in tune.
The only way to become good is to become the best. -Me =D

Because it is my dream to speak directly to people's hearts...

atkeane
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

November 11th, 2010, 8:48 pm #16

Not to cause harm by posting to an old topic, but given its recent inclusion on Facebook by Songbird, I have an addition I feel might help.

I also find a metronome to be a nice thing to work with. For me, it's mostly to keep myself from going instantly to full tempo. In my head I have an idea of how fast a song should be, an idea of when I should be doing what. Of course, when first learning a song, we often can't instantly play every bit of it at full tempo. A metronome provides me with an external time, which forces me to be mindful of how fast I play. Most of my frustration from playing new songs comes from trying to up the tempo too fast, and stumbling over phrases. Using a metronome makes me remember to slow it all down, and then I can gradually bring it up to speed as my fingers/lungs grow used to the transitions between the notes in the different passages.

That being said, the sound of a metronome can be rather distracting sometimes, especially the digital ones, where they use a tone to keep the time. If the tone it plays is disharmonic from the music, I can occasionally mess up while I try to figure out why a note was "wrong"
Current Instruments:
[+] Spoiler
Clayz Traditional Ocarina (Tenor F)
STL/TNG Enigma Alto C
Hind Walnut Alto Bb
Focalink Triple AC
Maparam Double AC
Focalink Plastic SC
Drednaught Style Steel String Acoustic
Concert Flute
Didgeridoo
Redwood Bagpipe Practice Chanter
Wishlist (aka, the why don't I have money list)
[+] Spoiler
Bass Ocarina
Double Bass Ocarina
Contrabass Ocarina
Gibson Les Paul
Songbird Dragon's Tooth
Moar Soprano
Double Bass

DryUrTears
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

November 12th, 2010, 6:01 pm #17

a metronome confuses me
ocarina's i own:
:ocarina: 12 hole Focalink soprano C
:double: Focalink Double Alto C
:double: Focalink Double Soprano G

Juzam Djinn
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Transverse Ocarinist x 5

February 13th, 2011, 12:38 am #18

I would try playing with a metronome with verious instruments. I really don't know if it helped or not, it was always just kindof...there.
Maybe it's from years of playing as part of the rhythm section (bass/tuba).

When I learn songs without written music/by ear, I often whistle the song. Then play a few measures, whistle play a few more measures. Works pretty fast for me.

Krešimir Cindriæ , Your practice guide looks like a usefull list of tips for new players.
Last edited by Juzam Djinn on February 13th, 2011, 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Krešimir Cindrić
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

March 2nd, 2011, 1:13 am #19

UPDATE: I have decided to re-post from other posts a selection of tips, just to keep things neatly in one place.

Hopefully I will add more stuff in the future. Thanks for all the nice feedback. :D
Last edited by Krešimir Cindrić on March 2nd, 2011, 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zero Tolerance
Triple Ocarinist x 5
Triple Ocarinist x 5

March 2nd, 2011, 5:17 pm #20

Very helpful indeed but sadly I'm kind of a "Play-by-ear/just-go-with-it" kind of player.

I can't read real sheet music (Can read number tabs very well though) so I had to learn to do things a little different but I totally understand the concepts of "Comfort zone", "Short Sessions" and "Rough-Patch Repeat"

Either way. An all around solid topic. 2 thumbs up. ^-^
Here's my You-Tube Channel! Anything on Ocarina! New performances 1st Monday of every month! :fly:

Big Ocarina related Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Ocarinas I have.
[+] Spoiler
Songbird Dragon Tooth
Songbird Muse :muse:
Focalink Sonoro in black
Hans Rotter ZFan
Focalink Allegreo in White crackle
Tenrai pendant in Monsoon seas :pendant:
New Vista pendant in red and white :pendant:
Ocarinas I'm thinking of selling