Forum rules
Welcome to Q&A! If you have questions that you want to ask, please shoot them right here.
Please only post questions here.

The topic title should clearly suggest the questions you are about to ask or already contain the question itself.
A bad topic title would be [i]PLEASE HELP!!! [/i], [i]IMPORTANT QUESTION! [/i], [i]ANSWER ME! [/i] or [i]QUESTIONS [/i] and the like. Topics like this will be closed.
A good topic title would be [i]Choosing between Maparam triple and Focalink Triple [/i] or [i]The differences between an Ocarina and a Bamboo Chopstick? [/i]

Happy asking!

how bad can this ocarina be?

Kohrak
Pendant Ocarinist
Pendant Ocarinist

September 19th, 2017, 9:03 am #1

Hello ocarina people,

I found this today while browsing ebay and I wonder. How bad can it be?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-16-Hole- ... SwQWFZdxLm

is about £20 for a double ocarina and is not even supposed to be plastic, something is not right there

what do you think?
G.K0H!

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Transverse Ocarinist x 3

September 19th, 2017, 10:30 am #2

How bad? Probably 1000 bads... 999 being the highest of bads. Lol but I know the feeling... You gonna take the gamble or what?!

Don't forget to leave a review!

Nina
Beginner
Beginner

September 19th, 2017, 12:22 pm #3

Probably very, VERY bad... but then again, someone just posted that on Facebook as the favourite ocarina of their little collection. So the odds of getting something decent might be higher than usual.

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 19th, 2017, 12:32 pm #4

The problem is this maker is not well known here on TON. I don't recognize the makers stamp on the mouthpiece. There are lots of ocarina makers in China. Some of them are very good, others not so good. You take your chances when you order something from an unknown maker. Maybe you will be lucky and he turns out to be one of the good ones. If you buy a double from a maker with a known reputation, you will have to pay more but at least you know it will be good.
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer

Soren
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Inline Ocarinist x 2

September 19th, 2017, 1:14 pm #5

I do not have any personal experience with these, but they seem to be fairly common these days.

This ocarina can certainly be very bad. A few things stand out as major flaws that I noticed from my beginner's experience making ocarinas.
In the image showing the fipples, there is a burr of clay hanging onto the larger chamber fipple. That will have a very adverse effect on the clarity of notes, especially near the top of the range. I also notice similar burrs and irregularities on the tone holes as well as the entrance to the airways. The shaping seems to be a cheap imitation of the professional ocarinas that is somewhat off and irregular rather than the exact precise shaping that is purposed by an experienced professional.

This ocarina is probably slip-cast from a mold made from a professional ocarina in order to be mass-produced. The quality here is likely not nearly as good as one from a known and professional maker. I have had quite varying experience with the cheaper ceramic ocarinas I have bought, but I have never yet got one that was truly a great ocarina.

Could it be repaired to be a decent double ocarina? If you have any experience making ocarinas or understanding what details affect the sound quality, the price is right for an attempt. It is still a risk to be taken, though, that the money and time is invested into a display piece and nothing more.
Ocarina Maker and Player

mremic01
Inline Ocarinist x 5
Inline Ocarinist x 5

September 19th, 2017, 2:16 pm #6

I have one of these. The chamber balance is ok. Not awful, but not great. It's surprisingly well tuned, but easy to overblow and get too high a pitch. The biggest problem with it is the clay. It's very brittle and crumbly. A small burr came off from inside mine and was easy to crush into powder with my fingers. But for $20-$30, it's a lot of ocarina.
?ahaswigl
[+] Spoiler
WPN 12 Hole AC
WPN 12 Hole SC
WPN 12 Hole AF
WPN Double AC
TNG Plastic AC
TNG Plastic SC
TNG Plastic Triple AC
TNG Purple Clay Double AC
STL Max Range Double AC
STL Plastic 12 Hole Tenor C
STL Zelda Plastic 12 Hole Tenor C
STL Zelda Plastic 11 Hole Bass C
STL Zelda 12 Hole SC
STL Water 12 Hole AC
STL Zelda Double AC
STL Zelda Double Plastic AC
Focalink Double AC
Focalink Double AC Forte
Focalink Double SG
Focalink 12 Hole AC
Focalink 12 Hole SC
Focalink Plastic AC
Focalink Plastic SC
Focalink Osawa Plastic AC
Night by Noble Plastic AC
Mountain Ocarina Poly G
Menaglio Do3 (10 Hole AC)
Songbird Ocarina of Time 12 Hole AC
Songbird Ocarina of Time Kokiri Edition
Songbird Fairy Ocarina
Rotter Zfan 12 Hole AC
Hamlett 11 Hole AC
ICO Double Bass C
ICO Double Alto G
ICO Double Alto F
TNG 6 Hole Mini Necklace (supposed to be C but it's in E!)
STL 6 Hole Rainbow Mini Ocarina E
Focalink 6 Hole Raindrop SC
Focalink 6 Hole Bass C
Chinese Songbird 6 Hole OoT Knockoff

Mystic_Ocarina
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

September 20th, 2017, 2:10 am #7

Kohrak wrote:Hello ocarina people,<br /><br />I found this today while browsing ebay and I wonder. How bad can it be?<br /><br />http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-16-Hole- ... SwQWFZdxLm<br /><br />is about £20 for a double ocarina and is not even supposed to be plastic, something is not right there<br /><br />what do you think?
Kohrak wrote:Hello ocarina people,

I found this today while browsing ebay and I wonder. How bad can it be?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-16-Hole- ... SwQWFZdxLm

is about £20 for a double ocarina and is not even supposed to be plastic, something is not right there

what do you think?
I have it and mine is very very Bad, first chamber is fone, second one is untuned
[+] Spoiler
My ocarinas:

Single

Night Ocarina 12 Holes Alto C.

Dragon Tooth from Songbird.

Splatter Soprano 12 Hole from Dreambirth.

Bon Ocarina Soprano 12 Hole. (For Sale/Trade)

Claw Wood Ocarina 10 Holes in Alto G from Fairy Ring Mushroom. (For Sale/Trade)

Zelda 6 holes Extended range from Songbird. (For Sale/Trade)

12 hole Alto F JudahOcarina. (For Sale/Trade)

10 Hole Students Ocarina. (For Sale/Trade)

Multi Chambered

Triple Strawired Focalink (Dolce)

Double Max Range from STL.

Double Dragon Carcass from Dinda.

DerBlocki
Pendant Ocarinist
Pendant Ocarinist

November 18th, 2017, 1:47 pm #8

Ebay is probably not the smartest site to buy :aria: :focalinkpurple: :focalinkpurple:

Tennyson
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Transverse Ocarinist x 2

November 21st, 2017, 8:17 am #9

I got one some time ago, just to try it. :)

The first chamber works, but the second one is out of tune, so, actually, it is an ocarina impossible to be played.

The brand should be Chinese, it is called "Zero", but the ocarina does not come with anything with that brand and the stamp on it is unclear, it seems a stylized flower or something similar.

I wonder the meaning of making a double ocarina (even if really inexpensive) with the second chamber not in tune and to sell it (just for people like me, buying it as an 'experiment'?).

It is quite unfortunate, since, if the second chamber were at least working, it would be a 'not-so-bad' ocarina for a really low price. :)
Semper fidelis

Kitten Forest
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

November 21st, 2017, 2:25 pm #10

I find with buying on ebay, I only will get an ocarina if it is a brand that has a good reputation with other people on here, or it's sold by someone who plays the ocarina. So many things are not as good as they say they are.
[+] My Ocarinas
:triple: ICO Triple BC
:ocarina: Songbird SoL
:focalinkblue: Focalink plastic AC and SC
:ocarina: Songbird Allegro AC
:pendant: Songbird Seedpod AC
:ocarina: Focalink Strawfire AG
:inline: Hind Harmony Double Tenor F
:OoT: Dreambirth Bass A
:ocarina: Rotter Z Fans (AC and SC)
:OoT: Songbird OoT Kokiri Edition AC
:pendant: Songbird Pokeball AD