Forum rules
Welcome to Q&A! If you have questions that you want to ask, please shoot them right here.
Please only post questions here.

The topic title should clearly suggest the questions you are about to ask or already contain the question itself.
A bad topic title would be [i]PLEASE HELP!!! [/i], [i]IMPORTANT QUESTION! [/i], [i]ANSWER ME! [/i] or [i]QUESTIONS [/i] and the like. Topics like this will be closed.
A good topic title would be [i]Choosing between Maparam triple and Focalink Triple [/i] or [i]The differences between an Ocarina and a Bamboo Chopstick? [/i]

Happy asking!

Hind Tenor and Mountain G - the same fingering?

erewhon
Pendant Ocarinist
Pendant Ocarinist

July 25th, 2008, 10:15 pm #1

Hello dear folks here,

please let me start by saying "Thank you" for the great amount of quality information that has been gathered here, and the many friendly people.

I came here to research some ocarina stuff for my daughter, and now know what to recommend to her for a pendant and a sweet potato - she will have enough info now to investigate for herself and make up her mind.

In the process, I became interested myself, and that is why I am asking about the fingering of the Hind walnut tenor and the mountain G. Is the fingering (relative to the pitch of the instruments, of course) identical, including the two holes on the lower side?

The reason is, I would very much like to get the in-line tenor, but would like a cheap training instrument as well to have with me at all times. To me, it looks like this combination would work, but I am not absolutely sure since I could not find a fingering chart on the mountain ocarina site.

Thanks for all info you might provide.

kissing
Site Admin

July 26th, 2008, 12:54 pm #2

Hello there :D
It is great that you are getting an interest in ocarinas.

I own the Mountain ocarina in G, but not a Hind inline.
A quick look at Hind's fingering chart (provided on their website) showed that the fingerings between Mountain inlines and Hind inlines are the same. As far as I can tell anyway.
http://hindocarina.com/enjoy/fingering/ ... r_bass.pdf

The playing range, and the tone will be significantly different between the two though.
The Hind Tenor is tuned in F, and will have a low, mellow, warm tone. I don't seem to be able to find a sound sample using the Hind Tenor specifically, but here is Mr Hind's youtube page containing sample videos of his ocarinas:
http://youtube.com/user/hindocarina

Mountain ocarinas on the other hand, have a crispy, brighter sound. It doesn't have the deep, mellow timbre of the typical ocarina, but sounds more closely related to tin whistles and recorder - good for lively folk music. The Mountain ocarina in G is much highly pitched than the Hind Tenor. It will sound something like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ooFF5x6zmVw
(recorded on-the-spot on the day I received the Mountain ocarina)

In my opinion, both are good ocarinas to say the least. The Hind is a much higher quality instrument.
But both being made of durable materials (plastic, wood), I don't think you'll have to worry about breaking either. Most of us wield ceramic transverse ("sweet potato") ocarinas, which are much more popular :rofl:

A Hind is a delightful ocarina that can be treasured. Mountain ocarina is a decent quality ocarina that is inexpensive, and you wouldn't have to worry taking care of it.

Hope this info is helpful!

ps: what kind of ocarina is your daughter likely to get? :D
Last edited by kissing on July 26th, 2008, 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

erewhon
Pendant Ocarinist
Pendant Ocarinist

July 26th, 2008, 3:55 pm #3

kissing wrote:(...)
Hope this info is helpful!
(...)
It is indeed - while I was aware of the difference in sound, your post confirmed my thoughts about the fingering, which, being identical for both, is very nice for my purposes.

As for my daughter (I mentioned her on the introductory thread here ), she will likely get a Susato pendant in G, later maybe a sweet potato, probably either Focalink or Menaglio -- even though some of the Songbird offerings also are very interesting to her, so they certainly are an option as well.
But for the moment, she has absolutely fallen in love with one of the Susato engraving options, so that will be first. She is, by the way, already quite an accomplished recorder player and really loves music.

If the above choices sound like good ones to you, it is only because of the information you kind people here provided, I cannot thank you all enough.
Last edited by erewhon on July 26th, 2008, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User
Deleted User

July 26th, 2008, 5:39 pm #4

I have a Susato plastic. While the material is limiting, the design is quite good.
I think it is a fine choice.
Last edited by Deleted User on July 26th, 2008, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erewhon
Pendant Ocarinist
Pendant Ocarinist

July 26th, 2008, 6:00 pm #5

In the process of starting my order, I discovered a Mountain fingering chart. While it is almost the same as the Hind chart, if you include alternates, there are differences in the lower D-sharp, the upper C-sharp and - surprisingly - also in the upper D. (While Mr. Hind gives upper D as highest playable note, the Mountains goes up to E.)

This is giving me doubts if for me, as an absolute beginner on the ocarina, it really would be wise to have a practice instrument with those differences to the Hind.

Well, I suppose I will order it and see. What I really want to be able to play is, no doubt about that, the Hind - what a lovely sound....

kissing
Site Admin

July 27th, 2008, 8:01 am #6

Well, I don't think those little differences would matter much in practice anyway :D
Ocarina is a very logical instrument - chances are that despite the differences in the fingering chart, the alternates that are present in one, but not on the other will interchange nevertheless. In fact, if you can play the inline ocarinas, you could probably pick up a 12-hole sweet potato and be able to play it right away!

Nothing against pendants, but for someone who is used to the recorder, a 10hole or 12hole might be easier to adjust to, as the fingerings follow a similar, linear pattern. Pendant ocarinas work by a different concept (combinations).

Anyway, all the choices I see are good ones!
Best of luck! :TON:
Last edited by kissing on July 27th, 2008, 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deckman
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

July 28th, 2008, 3:51 am #7

you'll have to get used to different fingerings with different models. that's just part of being an ocarinist. since ocarina makers are relatively few in number, there isn't a very strict universal standard for fingerings. as kissing said, the differences are negligible enough to get used to fairly easily, so don't sweat it.
wrote:I don't seem to be able to find a sound sample using the Hind Tenor specifically
i don't know if he actually needs them now, but i'll post some for the hell of it.

kissing
Site Admin

July 28th, 2008, 4:24 am #8

Ahh, I knew I had seen a Hind tenor on Youtube somewhere :rofl:
Alas, it was in the last place I would look :facepalm:

Sakura96
Beginner
Beginner

July 31st, 2008, 9:40 pm #9

Hello, I'm the daughter who erewhon talked about :D
Yesterday I ordered a wooden Susato alto in F (er... my father ordered it for me) and my best friend ordered one, too. She is interested in ocarinas and is a very good recorder player.
I want to give a big "thank you" for helping and informations to all of you!
Today arrived two Songbird ocarinas, it seems like my father ordered them secretly :lmao: ... an alto pendant and a tenor pendant.

But the tenor seems out of tune :(
My father told me that Songbird is usually high quality and now I wonder what is wrong: the alto works very good and I already can play some songs :playoc:
The scale of the tenor sounds wrong, I think that the low C and the D are too low. Is there any way to get them higher?

I'm going to travel to Bavaria this saturday for a week and plan to practice a lot.

Thank you very much

Debora

PS: Cool! I just noticed I'm member #1,000!!! :excited:
Last edited by Sakura96 on July 31st, 2008, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deckman
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

August 1st, 2008, 4:26 am #10

i think songbirds usually are out of tune, dear, even if they sound nice. my tenor pendant is, anyway. you can try blowing harder to make the note sharper, but i think the two lowest notes are supposed to be A and B, not C and D.