September 7th, 2012, 1:39 am #261

Well said :)
-Fred

Firetortoise
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

September 7th, 2012, 1:48 am #262

melodican wrote:
fm12692 wrote:Frankly i took a huge risk adjusting this entire ocarina but only because i knew a pacchioni is on the way soon >.>
Sounds like the risk was worth it, though. At some point, I think most good players get to the level where they have preferences and modify their ocarinas to fit. It's all about making the best sound in the simplest way, after all!
I probably will never modify me ocs, I think that it should be played and sound like the maker wanted it to when you bought it from "It"
[+] Meh Ocarinas
Dinda Double AC :double:
Tenrai Eight Hole :pendant:
Mountain G :inline:
Mountain C :inline:

Fred
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3

September 7th, 2012, 2:06 am #263

I disagree, a instrument should work for you not the other way around. The creator creates it to his perfect preference not yours. But you have to develope a preference first before you start to even think about modifying something to fit you and feel like an extension of yourself.

Modifying is easy unless your working with multi chambers then they get tricky. But I found it easy to do since i had a good understanding of what I was doing.

-Fred

Traeak
Double Ocarinist x 5
Double Ocarinist x 5

September 7th, 2012, 3:54 am #264

fm12692 wrote:Frankly i took a huge risk adjusting this entire ocarina but only because i knew a pacchioni is on the way soon >.>
Which bank did you rob, or which rich relative did you bump off?

i probably will take a shot at tuning my focalink pendant, just want to create a proper strategery before going at it.
Last edited by Traeak on September 7th, 2012, 4:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
[+] Ocarina Companions
:pendant: Focalink taichi strawfire pendant
:inline: Mountain poly red G, green and gray C, warmstone G
:ocarina: Dinda AC
:ocarina: Noble black plastic AC
:ocarina: Night by Noble ivory plastic AC
:double: Focalink dolce double AC
:double: STL Zelda ceramic double AC
:double: STL Zelda plastic double AC (car ocarina)
:ocarina: Zin purple plastic tenor BC
[+] Other Instruments
xaphoon pocket sax
yamaha p22 upright, casio px150
melodicas: schoenhut 37, hohner instructor 32
ukuleles: martin OXK, concert fluke, schoenhut pt5400, rubin sopranino
feadog original tin whistle
Gretsch junior jet bass g2202, hadean omega ubass defretted, ampeg ba108

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 7th, 2012, 5:40 am #265

That's the big question, how do you go about "developing a good understanding of what you are doing?" It's not something you can take a class in at a local community college--Practical Implications of Retuning Ocarinas MUS 101.

Does anybody have a link to a site or a recommendation for a book that describes the process of adjusting the holes?
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer

Fred
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3

September 7th, 2012, 7:00 am #266

well look at what makes a high breath ocarina high breath. usually holes are smaller on high breath ocarinas.

low breath ocarinas usually have bigger holes.

again this depends on your preferences.

re-tuning is as simple as tuning. as long as your only adjusting for breath pressure and not trying to get some out of whack key from the original.

I guess in a way this will be your guide in a way....

Lowering breath Pressure:

if you like the slope of breath pressure on the ocarina but wish to lower the pressure needed to play in tune, then drill a tiny tuning hole. somewhere on the bottom. I think the farther away from the thumb holes and the voicing is best.

once that is done check to see if the breath pressure needed throughout is comfortable. if you want it lower still make the hole bigger. make sure you are using a tuner while doing this so you know what breath pressure created a "in tune" note.

Also always remember adjusting to much can lead to the voicing not being able to create a sound at all.

Lowering the breath pressure but having all notes require equal amounts of breath pressure.

due to the fact i have no idea how to adjust voicing the lowest note on the ocarina dictates how equalized the other notes can be...

notes starting from the low notes on a C ocarina

C D E F G A B C D E F

you cant adjust low C with ought adjusting the Voicing Because its unlikely the low C is high breath.

To make low D equal To low C you make the pinky hole on your right hand bigger until When you play a D its equal to the breath pressure needed to play a C.

to make low E equal to low D you make your ring finger hole on your right hand big enough to match the low D note.

you do this for every hole until they are all equal or the slope is smooth enough for you.

After doing this if you want to lower the overall breath pressure after doing this drill a small tuning hole. and check the entire scale making sure its comfortable. adjust until you are happy.

This was my experience i did this for all 3 chambers on my Dinda Triple.
-Fred

Wollemi Pine
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 7th, 2012, 7:06 am #267

Excellent info! Thanks for sharing.
[+] Some Ocarinas I Own

Multi-Chamber Ocarinas
Pacchioni Tripla-P C5 (Bass)
Triple Huaca
Bon Solist Triple
Dinda Double AC
Dinda Triple AC
Maparam Triple

Transverse Ocarinas (Sweet Potato)
:aria: Aria, Tenor C
Aria, Alto G
:muse: Songbird Muse (Eb & F)
Songbird Dragon Tooth, 13-hole (D)
Zin: Soprano C, Tenor C (Bass)
Hamlett, Alto C
Epicai Crab Claw (E)

Spoony AC
CJ AC
Dreambirth Abstract Bass
Robert Hickman AC

Inline Ocarinas
Hind Tenor F
Mountain Aluminum G

Pendant Ocarinas
Whistleworks Killer Whale
STL Mouse

Vintage Ocarinas
:oldoc: Fiehn: C1, B2, E4.5, D5 (1877 stamp), C6, A7.5, G9, C13, G17
:budrio: Chiesa
:budrio: Canella
:oldoc: Teschner
:oldoc: Old Glory: C, G
:oldoc: Gretsch: C, G
:oldoc: EWA: F
:oldoc: Guido Bondi (GB)
:oldoc: Hopf
:oldoc: Reform
:oldoc: Missnia
:oldoc: "Original"
:oldoc: Mathieu (metal)
:oldoc: Waterbury

Broken Ocarinas
:brokenoc: None!
[+] Wish List

:budrio: Vintage Ocarinas (PM me if you have any for sale)
Maparam Ocarinas (PM me if you have one for sale)
fm12692's Bass
Hind Double Sweet Potato
Ocflute
Woodsound
Spencer Double
Pacchioni Classic & Quadrupla-P
Focalink AC Triple Forte
Gosselink
Menaglio Do 7
Purple Clay Triple
Osawa Forte Triple
ABC Notation Primer Guide - Learn how to easily create sheet music and ocarina tabs

Fred
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3

September 7th, 2012, 7:06 am #268

your welcome wollemi :}
-Fred

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 7th, 2012, 7:10 am #269

Thank you for your explanation of retuning holes, Fred. Perhaps someday I will be brave enough to experiment on one of my ocarinas but I love my Dinda double too much to modify it. I think it sounds just fine on its own. I don't notice much of a breath slope difference on any of the notes or between chambers. Perhaps because I've played it enough to get comfortable.

I'm still waiting for a chance to get a Dinda triple. No thanks to you and Mark, darn it! :shakefist:
Last edited by pandorado100 on September 7th, 2012, 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer

Fred
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3
Quadruple Ocarinist x 3

September 7th, 2012, 7:16 am #270

hahaha :p its a great ocarina i'm exceptionally happy with it now i literally cant stop playing it :P

Maybe try this on a ocarina you would play more if it was more like you in breath requirements.

after doing these adjustments i will no longer adapt to ocarinas they will adapt to me or else! they sit inside the case or get sold

:D
my next project is adjusting the bull ocarina cause its high in breath pressure as well
Last edited by Fred on September 7th, 2012, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Fred