Forum rules
Welcome to Q&A! If you have questions that you want to ask, please shoot them right here.
Please only post questions here.

The topic title should clearly suggest the questions you are about to ask or already contain the question itself.
A bad topic title would be [i]PLEASE HELP!!! [/i], [i]IMPORTANT QUESTION! [/i], [i]ANSWER ME! [/i] or [i]QUESTIONS [/i] and the like. Topics like this will be closed.
A good topic title would be [i]Choosing between Maparam triple and Focalink Triple [/i] or [i]The differences between an Ocarina and a Bamboo Chopstick? [/i]

Happy asking!

Different sounds from different ocarinas?

Kattassah
Beginner
Beginner

June 20th, 2008, 3:35 am #1

What are the differences between plastic, ceramic, wood, clay...etc., sound-wise? I want to find out about this before I commit to buying an ocarina.
Singing keeps me happy. If I'm singing then I'm happy.

Pandaman
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

June 20th, 2008, 7:34 am #2

Wood ocarinas usually sound very soft, mellow, almost soothing. Clay ocarinas tend to be a little "harder" tones, a bit more shrill if you will. There isn't really an obvious distinction between clay and ceramic. Plastic ocarinas tend to be so bad that the individual sound is usually hidden by the airiness of the notes, and if it's not there isn't really a good way to describe the sound that comes to mind. I haven't really heard any metal ocarinas, but they're pretty rare anyway.

I would suggest either a wood or clay ocarina. The wooden ones are more mellow, but they're also usually pretty expensive.
Last edited by Pandaman on June 20th, 2008, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chopperman to the rescue!

shadowyi
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

June 20th, 2008, 1:20 pm #3

Yep, Pandaman's nailed it. If you want to listen to actual examples, you could check out my YouTube for the sound of a wooden Hind, and kissing's, Myung's, and a lot of other community members' for the sound of a ceramic one.

Designed by Jacob. TONian!

Small sheet music update! Find them at Shadow's sheets!
Shadow's Pokemon-esque music story is being revised! (no new updates yet) Click here!

Deleted User
Deleted User

June 21st, 2008, 3:31 am #4

There are some playing differences to note.
In general, plastic and metal can play staccato notes well, while clay and wood are great for Legato.
Last edited by Deleted User on June 21st, 2008, 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeepRed
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
DeepRed
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

June 21st, 2008, 9:34 am #5

Plastic Mountain ocarinas are good quality though. They have a crisp sound.