Krešimir Cindrić
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

February 10th, 2010, 10:32 pm #11

Since names of different ranges of ocarinas pretty much depend on the maker/seller, I wouldn't give any definitions in that department. I would, however, make a comprehensive table of different ranges and names by various makers. Something like that kissing already did some time ago, but it would have to be expanded to include more ranges and makers.

Pyromanaic21
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

February 10th, 2010, 10:40 pm #12

I'd definitely want to see something like a glossary happen. I can see it making things easier to talk about and describe. Lets do it!

though I agree that it will get a little tricky with the ranges, I think we can definitely work something out.

Panch
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

February 10th, 2010, 10:42 pm #13

Yeah, my main goal isn't the range so much as components of the ocarina, identifying types of ocarina, and such, which should make describing them in detail and recognising them much easier.

As an example, here's a quick diagram on voicing components and designs by me.

It is my intention to, if there is enough interest from the oc community, have a visual glossary of the ocarina, with labelled pictures. I would provide the initial labels, and the rest of TON will suggest changes, or point out mistakes, and such.

TON's most opinionated Independent maker.
My site - My blog - My Youtube

Email

Blitz
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

February 10th, 2010, 10:49 pm #14

if we get enough as well as the right kind of people on board, this could be a great project.maybe we should go with a wiki?

Krešimir Cindrić
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

February 10th, 2010, 10:53 pm #15

Great diagram. :thumbsup:

Just one suggestion: I think the term "labium lip" is a bit silly, because the word "labium" means "lip" in Latin. :D I would simply call it "lip" or "voicing lip".

EDIT: Also, there might be confusion with a certain part of female anatomy...
Last edited by Krešimir Cindrić on February 10th, 2010, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panch
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

February 10th, 2010, 10:54 pm #16

Oh, there's already an ocarina wiki! This will be a great addition once finished, though!
kcindric wrote:Great diagram. :thumbsup:

Just one suggestion: I think the term "labium lip" is a bit silly, because the word "labium" means "lip" in Latin. :D
Yes, I think so too, but I was just writing down how I saw it written. ^^;

I always call it just "Labium" myself, too, so it looks like we've found our first revision! XD
As for the female bodypart thing... well, this is what the blade is called on all fipple instruments, I believe! We should go with what's already been established.
Last edited by Panch on February 10th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TON's most opinionated Independent maker.
My site - My blog - My Youtube

Email

GabeGT
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

February 10th, 2010, 11:00 pm #17

The more info out there the better. This could be a great way to gather a lot of info quickly, since there are so many active people on this forum.

*off-topic* @Panch, I know what your Ocs remind me of now... Mentos. the fruity ones. Just the pastel like colours! I seriously need to buy one when they come on the market. *off-topic*
[+] I OWN...
:double: Focalink Double AC Forte
:ocarina: FocaBird AC
:ocarina: Focalink Plastic SC
:pendant: Focalink Teardrop C
:pendant: Focalink Starwberry
:ocarina: Muse
:ocarina: Focalink AC-P
MO 'Vampire' G Poly
MO C Poly
[+] Wish List:
Songbird Dragon Tooth
PANCH OCARINA!
Noble/Solist Plastic AC
Noble AC
Noble Bass

OcLover
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

February 11th, 2010, 3:44 am #18

I'd like to add some terms to the glossary. Of course the terms / definitions are open for debate by all. These are in no particular order, just as they popped in my head.

Additions to the Ocarina Glossary:

Tonehole: Any hole that is covered by a finger or thumb that alters the pitch, these also include sub-holes.

Windway: A passage for air.

Mouth / Voicing: The open area between the windway exit and labium ramp edge. Examples of different voicing shapes are circular, ovular, rectangular, semicircular, teardrop, and triangular. AKA "Voicehole"

Mouthpiece: The part of the ocarina the player places their lips on.

Tonic: The base note played when all tone holes are covered excluding the sub-holes.

Ascending Ramp: The rising surface between the labium edge and ocarina exterior. (As viewed from the windway with the voicehole facing you.) AKA "Top Ramp"

Descending Ramp: The downward surface between the labium edge and ocarina interior. (As viewed from the windway with the voicehole facing you.) AKA "Bottom Ramp"

Labium Edge descriptions: sharp, semi-rounded, rounded, blunt

Undercutting / Undercut: Increasing the effective size of a tonehole by removing or beveling the material so that the tone hole opening is larger on the inside than on the outside of the ocarina. This will help maintain a tonehole size that can easily be covered by a finger or thumb.

Tuner: An electronic device or software for measuring audio frequency and displaying that frequency and associated musical note and octave range. Examples: 440 Hz = A4, 523.25 Hz = C5

Volume: The total interior cubic space of an ocarina.

Wall Thickness: The thickness of the ocarina wall excluding the mouthpiece area.

Contoured Tonehole: On the exterior of an ocarina, the area around a tonehole which has been shaped to accommodate the elongated roundish shape of a finger, this is usually done for toneholes with an adjacent sub-hole which will be covered by the same finger.

Sub-hole: A tonehole which when covered allows the ocarina to play lower than the tonic pitch. (Sub-tonic)

Edit: Removed spoiler tag.
Last edited by OcLover on February 11th, 2010, 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ivanduzer
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

February 11th, 2010, 4:26 am #19

I like the idea, and would like to get on board with this. Panch, I would be willing to take your glossaries and put them into a downloadable PDF file (multipaged) so that anybody could potentially have a hard copy of this glossary. Having all the glossaries in one file will also help organization a ton.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

King Ocarina
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

February 11th, 2010, 5:57 am #20

I really don't think one can make a glossary on this kind of subject.

The ocarina is a very unsophisticated instrument compared to say, a guitar. It's just a hollow lump of clay with holes.

A glossary for a guitar is feasible, as there are many, many manufactured parts with technical names (fretboard, nut, geared tuner, etc).

The ocarina is a much more ancient, simple, (what's the word?) spiritual instrument...

Guitars can be quickly machined and snapped piece A to slot B...

Ocarinas require (corny alert) love and care by their makers to turn their earthly forms into something awesome. Each ocarina holds the personality of it's maker, and aren't personalities different from one another?