Nonayourbeeswax
Double Ocarinist x 4
Double Ocarinist x 4

May 2nd, 2008, 9:53 pm #11

stevtomato wrote: Some music also sounds better than it is, whereas some music is better than it sounds.
If it sounds good to people doesn't that mean that that is good?

Deleted User
Deleted User

May 2nd, 2008, 10:42 pm #12

Naw. The masses like repetition over creativity *cough* Pop *cough*

Turbo852
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

May 3rd, 2008, 5:36 am #13

I guess it's subjective. There are probably some technically amazing musical pieces that probably don't sound that great and vise versa.

stevtomato
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

May 3rd, 2008, 10:25 am #14

Many popular music is crap musically, artistically, aesthetistically and also technically, etc. I am also talking about classical popular music here.

There are some music that just sounds soo nice but it doesn't have any or little value, I am not going to name any composers but even great composers have the so called "slightly worthless music."

It's not that it's worthless to be heard, it's just very easy to the ears and it doesn't make you think or etc.

On the other hand, the music of some people are technically really beautiful. But when yu listen to it, it sounds crap. Some of Wagner's music is like that. Or Schoenberg, if you listen to this man's music, you might think he is mad and is crap at comopsition. But technically, he's a genius.

This then goes back to the two types of music: music that appeals to the senses and music that appeals to the intellect.

I see a potential great debate topic.
stevtomato
Composer, Arranger,
Pianist, ex-Ocarinist.

All music emerges from silence, to which it must sooner or later return.

List of Sheetmusic

Go to my YouTube site and click the orange subscribe button and thou shall enlighten my day! =D

Sine
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Inline Ocarinist x 2

May 5th, 2008, 7:33 pm #15

And if ever there was such a great debate, I will be the one to ask, "Why can't music appeal to both?" :P

I've had this tune in my head for a while now and I'm planning on writing it down. Should I post it here? I'd love to hear how other people interpret it. What format should I post it in? :huh:

I mostly improv. When I sit down and actually compose, I have to have the instrument with me as I write the notes down as I stagger through the melody. But when I do that, I lose my 'feel' for it, and it becomes a purely intellectual process.

shadowyi
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

May 5th, 2008, 7:49 pm #16

Please post it! We'd love to hear. :) I'm guessing.. midi format at the very least? You could post two items at once, sheet music that you composed from Noteworthy Composer, then the midi file that Noteworthy Composer came up with.

I completely understand what you mean. I often come up with original songs when I sing, but if I try to write it down it's all out the window. Guess some things are meant to be unwritten? :music:

Designed by Jacob. TONian!

Small sheet music update! Find them at Shadow's sheets!
Shadow's Pokemon-esque music story is being revised! (no new updates yet) Click here!

Turbo852
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2
Quadruple Ocarinist x 2

May 6th, 2008, 4:52 am #17

Yeah, when it comes to actually writing it down. It can be hard. If I can't write it down, I try to record it quickly and then see if I can write it down through trial and error later.

Sine: I'd love to hear your song! Post it in picture form and midi form if you can!

stevtomato
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

May 6th, 2008, 7:15 am #18

Sine, you're right, I forgot about the third and fourth one, the one that appeals to both intellect and senses. The fourth one is music that appeals to nothing at all... basically pure junk XD

But again, that depends on the listeners!

The best way is to host both in sites like photobucket (for the sheet) and ripway (for midi). Then put them here =D

Muhaha.
stevtomato
Composer, Arranger,
Pianist, ex-Ocarinist.

List of Sheetmusic

Go to my YouTube site and click the orange subscribe button and thou shall enlighten my day! =D

Sine
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Inline Ocarinist x 2

January 11th, 2009, 8:03 pm #19

Okay! Finally going to write some stuff down! It is a new year, after all.

Does anybody have any recommendations for composition software to use? I have some ancient staff paper stored away, but I'm looking for some way to digitize them. I could scan my notes, I suppose, but it seems my illegible handwriting has somehow managed to infect my note-writing...

Any ideas? I used to use Finale Notepad, and before that it was Noteworthy. But what else is out there?

stevtomato
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

January 13th, 2009, 3:26 am #20

Well, if you are willing to pay, Sibelius 5. I use Sibelius 5 myself and I think it's prettier than the scores that Finale produce.

Be warned that Sibelius 5 cost a lot.
stevtomato
Composer, Arranger,
Pianist, ex-Ocarinist.

List of Sheetmusic