Forum rules
Important! This forum's sole purpose is to be a place for your reviews and guides.
Questions concerning recording equipment etc. should go in the [url=http://theocarinanetwork.com/forum/18065/]Question and Answer [/url] forum.

Better sounding recording?

mud_man_peter
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

May 15th, 2012, 1:07 am #1

This may belong in the audio section, but I am recording video with my laptops built in webcam. I finally have gotten to a point where I'm ready to post videos on youtube... But I ran into a problem.

I made my backtracks myself (music major + finale = Pro backtracks :boogie: ), My webcam looks great as I am on an expensive laptop.... Now.... Do I record me talking and the ocarina and lay the backtrack over it "hmmm makes sense" .... Only one thing... The ocarina sounds like S*%# because it is so high pitched...

So my question to you wonderful people is... Do I record audio of me talking like a scrub then separate audio with me playing and then sync the video and audio? Or is there some magic way to set it up where I can get good quality audio with the loud high pitches and still be able to hear me talking?

Cambell
Triple Ocarinist x 5
Triple Ocarinist x 5

May 15th, 2012, 1:16 am #2

I believe the best way to record is to record the talking sections separately to the recorded ocarina. The ocarina often requires tweaked setting on a webcam mic that make voices sound funny (such as lowering the gain, making the voices inaudible).

A solution to this as you expand upon your video making is to purchase a USB mic like the Blue Snowball or Yeti (Achint's guide to making good recordings lists a few more). This will sort out any problems you have, though gain still often needs tweaking.

mud_man_peter
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

May 15th, 2012, 1:57 am #3

I'll have to look into that. I currently use my headphones that have an inline mic for recording everything. (not the best on the market, but by no means a cheap pair). I'll try tomorrow when the neighbourhood isn't trying to sleep to place the mic farther away and play with the gain.