Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 4th, 2014, 9:52 am #11

Be clear about whether you want low breath PRESSURE or low breath VOLUME.

Usually higher-pitched ocarinas use less air volume at a higher pressure than lower-pitched ones. (The same goes for most other wind instrument families).

Medical problems can affect pressure and volume differently.

Læty
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

September 4th, 2014, 9:56 am #12

I have just ordered a Hind Bass, I am waiting for it! I have saved up during 2 years to get it, indeed, it is expensive.

pandorado100: Note that his Tenor one is available with a new rectangular voicing which need more breath (It would be more a low breath ocarina than a really-low breath one). He did not keep the rectangular voicing for the bass, but I would not be surprised that he improved it a little after that, like with a slightly less round voicing.

Among good and cheap bass ocarinas, there is obviously the Zin BC (named "TC") which I own and is known as a reference, but it is in plastic. At least, it is not easily breakable, and not heavy (and very cheap)!
Last edited by Læty on September 4th, 2014, 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
[+] My ocarinas
:ocarina: Gosselink AG
:ocarina: Dinda AF
:ocarina: Zin BC
:ocarina: Hind BC

Ayleth
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

September 4th, 2014, 2:14 pm #13

On the whole, I'm hoping to buy another ocarina soon. I ended up asking for the Aria G for my birthday because I knew my parents wouldn't faint at the price tag, unlike most others. And because my birthday is too soon for anything international.
I've heard a lot of different things about Hind. Some say it's too low breath, like an FCM, and others say it perfect.

@Jack Campin, what do you mean by pressure vs volume. I personally would love to have a softer ocarina, but I'm not sure how an ocarina that requires lower breath relates.
I ponder of something great.
My lungs will fill and then deflate.
They fill with fire, exhale desire.
I know it's dire, my time today.
~ Car Radio, Twenty-One Pilots

tytoalba
Triple Ocarinist
Triple Ocarinist

September 4th, 2014, 5:25 pm #14

Hi
The latest generation of my C7 contrabass requires very little pressure breathing. is suited to small fingers. is very slight. weighs around 550 grams. is lighter than my previous bass C5!
[+] Spoiler
My Oc:
Ogawa in C
Menaglio Do3
Spencer Alto C
Pacchioni Do3
Claudio Colombo Cirillo1 Do3 11 holes
Claudio Colombo AC 12 holes
Claudio Colombo triple AC
Rotter AC 11 holes
Rotter AC 12 holes
Rotter BC 10 holes
Jade Everett AC 11 holes
Songbird Bluelustre Alto C
Maparam AC 12 holes prima serie
Maparam Soprano C 12 fori
Noble Soprano C 12 holes
Noble Soprano G 12 holes
Noble AC 12 holes Ensemble
Noble AC 12 holes Ensemble black
Noble Contrabass C
Kurt Posch AC 9 holes
Kurt Posch Double AC
Kurt Posch Soprano G 10 holes
Kurt Posch Soprano C 10 holes
Takashi AC Double

Ayleth
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

September 4th, 2014, 5:33 pm #15

Sounds good. Where do I buy one? You didn't give a brand name.

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 4th, 2014, 6:16 pm #16

Jack Campin wrote:Be clear about whether you want low breath PRESSURE or low breath VOLUME.

That's a good point Jack. I have a preference for ocarinas that don't take a lot of air pressure to play but I do like to have some resistance when I blow into them or I run out of air. That's why I have trouble playing my Oberon ocarina. It has what seems to me, absolutely zero back pressure. It takes all the air I have and begs for more, leaving me gasping like I just climbed Mt Everest.

With the Hind, I feel like I have to dial down my air delivery or I overload the sound capability of the ocarina. Someone here once said that blowing into a Hind is like huffing your breath to fog up a window pane. That's exactly what I feel I have to do to avoid squeaking. If I use a forceful, more directed breath, it doesn't work.

I find that my Casper and Rotter ocarinas are much more comfortable for me to play. I also like most of the STL/TNG ocarinas I have. Even the plastic Spiderman ocarina I got from STL as a freebie for an order sounds pretty decent to me.

@ Laetycia

I would gladly buy a Zin plastic bass if they came in less lurid colors like a simple black or white like the Noble plastic ocarinas. I just find their color selection of ghastly purple or toxic green very off-putting. :grin: I have one of the Zin plastic button ocarinas that I like very much. It thankfully is a decent shade of ivory.
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer

Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 4th, 2014, 6:20 pm #17

High pressure means an instrument like the oboe, where you have to push against a stiff resistance to get any air into it at all. Oboists have problems losing air - they need to breathe out more air than the instrument takes. High volume is what you get with instruments like the bass recorder - there is so little resistance that you don't feel the instrument at all, so you run out of air very quickly.

Ocarinas tend to be in between these extremes. I have a Fiehn soprano G ocarina that takes as much pressure when playing the topmost notes as a clarinet using a medium-strength reed; my Pacchioni G4 is nearly as low-resistance as my greatbass recorder, and I've tried some bass ocarinas with even less resistance.

I have a large lung capacity, so low-pressure, high-volume instruments are fine for me. But I have a cleft palate with a small remaining fistula connecting my mouth and nose that surgery hasn't fixed, so high-pressure instruments are a problem. I need to use some odd tricks to play the clarinet or sax.

This is the extreme of high pressure, from ancient Greece:

http://mardow.info/humanities/lecture/l ... player.jpg
http://ekladata.com/irFptxf50d7PoI1ytqRaV_ci5E4.jpg
http://images.metmuseum.org/CRDImages/g ... 155775.jpg

Greek players of the aulos (double reed pipe) were using their cheeks like the bag of a bagpipe. Those players are using a common trick of the time, leather thongs tied round their head to help their lips hold the pressure and to stop their faces exploding.
Last edited by Jack Campin on September 4th, 2014, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 4th, 2014, 6:33 pm #18

All I can think of when you mention those ancient Greek aulos players using leather straps to keep their faces from exploding is that famous jazz musician, Dizzy Gillespie. Everytime he blew his trumpet, his cheeks would puff out like a hamster filling his cheek pouches with nuts and seeds. :)

http://www.dizzygillespie.com/
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer

Ayleth
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

September 4th, 2014, 7:02 pm #19

That's hilarious and kinda wierd. I think I understand the pressure idea now. Thanks.

Læty
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

September 4th, 2014, 7:04 pm #20

As a long term ill person, I often do not have enough breath to speak properly. The Hind ocarina I have just ordered seems to be good for me with its very low breath requirement, but I hope that its low "pressure" will not be an issue. I hope it will not need too hard breath control...

pandorado100: Ah ah, I understand you so much! I thought the same... But I think that the green one is not so ugly, and like said somebody in the past, it is prettier in real than on many photos. But if you do not like green, I understand! ... Or paint it? :D

[+] My ocarinas
:ocarina: Gosselink AG
:ocarina: Dinda AF
:ocarina: Zin BC
:ocarina: Hind BC