Forum rules
Welcome to Q&A! If you have questions that you want to ask, please shoot them right here.
Please only post questions here.

The topic title should clearly suggest the questions you are about to ask or already contain the question itself.
A bad topic title would be [i]PLEASE HELP!!! [/i], [i]IMPORTANT QUESTION! [/i], [i]ANSWER ME! [/i] or [i]QUESTIONS [/i] and the like. Topics like this will be closed.
A good topic title would be [i]Choosing between Maparam triple and Focalink Triple [/i] or [i]The differences between an Ocarina and a Bamboo Chopstick? [/i]

Happy asking!
Zwae
Beginner
Beginner

August 26th, 2014, 6:46 am #21

Sounds good, I'll take a look around once I've tracked down my elusive ocarina. I like the idea of different keys so maybe an ocarina in G would be a good idea, and then transpose into that range seeing as I can't really afford to buy a lot of different keys, although I'll still have my C.

Can you recommend any ocarinas in G?

Robert Hickman
Quadruple Ocarinist
Quadruple Ocarinist

August 26th, 2014, 7:18 am #22

I'm not greatly versed in the products of other makers at this time, as I mainly play my own work. My alto G is coming along, and has a relatively soft/mellow tone.

Otherwise Focalink has a good reputation, though like most Asian ocarinas they are loud/piercing. Hans rotter's ocarinas are relatively mellow in the lower keys, as are pacchioni's. The latter has a more 'textured', less whistle-like sound, which you may appreciate.

BTW ocarinas will sound like a whistle to some degree because they are one.

Nightlark
Transverse Ocarinist
Transverse Ocarinist

August 26th, 2014, 9:09 am #23

In South Africa, this answer is very easy. The first one you could find would be the best one to begin with, hehe.
My name is Ray. I make ocarinas...and then I play them...

Zwae
Beginner
Beginner

August 27th, 2014, 7:14 am #24

Thank you. My alto C is a Focalink, which may explain the piercing nature of the higher notes. I expected the instrument to sound a bit like a whistle but it went so far that to me it barely sounded musical. I will look at the makers you have mentioned and I must say that your ocarinas look and sound beautiful from what I have seen whilst looking around this forum.
Last edited by Zwae on August 27th, 2014, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

R86
Beginner
Beginner

December 5th, 2015, 10:37 am #25

Hello, I am looking for a ocarina for my wife as a gift. She had a pendant ocarina when she was a kid, but not anymore. So what I am looking for something that looks good and sounds well, but not too loud and is available in Germany. Thanks. Budget about 20 Euro.

heike
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Transverse Ocarinist x 4

December 5th, 2015, 2:30 pm #26

R86 wrote:Hello, I am looking for a ocarina for my wife as a gift. She had a pendant ocarina when she was a kid, but not anymore. So what I am looking for something that looks good and sounds well, but not too loud and is available in Germany. Thanks. Budget about 20 Euro.
Johann Rotter has a special offer this week - might be changed soon. It fits your price range and his ocarinas are all well in tune
Two bird ocarinas, 4-hole in F-Dur for 20€, He ships from Austria, and he has a note book coming along with it.
http://ocarinashop.com/epages/ncs249720 ... %20KW13%22
All the other ocarinas on his page can be recommended as well. So, have a look.

Kitten Forest
Double Ocarinist x 2
Double Ocarinist x 2

December 5th, 2015, 7:57 pm #27

One of my friends is thinking about learning to play. I've learned the hard way not to shop on Amazon Canada. I've found Focalink's ocarinas to be affordable and a bit easier to play. Any other websites or makers I should look into?
[+] My Ocarinas
:triple: ICO Triple BC
:ocarina: Songbird SoL
:focalinkblue: Focalink plastic AC and SC
:ocarina: Songbird Allegro AC
:pendant: Songbird Seedpod AC
:ocarina: Focalink Strawfire AG
:inline: Hind Harmony Double Tenor F
:OoT: Dreambirth Bass A
:ocarina: Rotter Z Fans (AC and SC)
:OoT: Songbird OoT Kokiri Edition AC
:pendant: Songbird Pokeball AD
:oldoc: Gretsch SG

TheOc
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Pendant Ocarinist x 3

December 20th, 2015, 12:37 am #28

Thanks for the info. I like AC anyway.

Kaitomo
Beginner
Beginner

December 20th, 2015, 8:46 am #29

Hi! I don kow if anyone is still answering questions on here, but I'm completely new to ocarinas, I don't even own one yet, but I want to buy a polycarbonate ocarina from mountain ocarinas soon. I really want to be able to play Celtic music, would that be possible if I got the alto c? Thank you

Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

December 20th, 2015, 9:55 am #30

Nobody who plays Scottish, Irish or Breton traditional music seriously would refer to them as "Celtic". That word is marketing hype with racist overtones.

I play Scottish and Breton regularly, Irish less systematically though some every week, on a mixture of instruments. For Scottish music you want a G-pitch ocarina. A 10-hole transverse like the Menaglio is ideal but the MO in G would be ok. A C-pitch ocarina is absolutely no use whatever for that. On the other hand, it will work for some Breton tunes (you will also need a G).

For Irish music, a D-pitch instrument is your best bet - Hickman, Rotter and Posch make those. But Irish music tends to be flute- or violin-based, or elaborately vocal, and hence often has a range too wide for any single chamber ocarina. Normally I reach for a recorder; I can't think at the moment of any Irish tune I would play on the ocarina for preference, except for the reel "The Gravel Walk", which has a range more typical of Scottish tunes and goes on an ocarina in G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxpfeM-r03k (that's about the speed I use)

Avoid subholes. You will never need them in traditional music and they just weaken the sound of the instrument in places where it needs to be accurate and assertive. The MO has one, which is one too many but it's less damaging than in some other designs.