A simple sheet music learning tutorial

Mickji
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

September 7th, 2013, 2:20 pm #1

Hi :jumpy:
Since a while I've been trying to make a tutorial about ocarina and sheet music
There are few people that are trying to use it
So I ask or tell you to use it, in this way the tutorial can become better and full of informations
Things are free so you don't have to pay anything to get lessons etc
Beginners and intermediate lessons are public so you don't need an account to read them, the advanced lessons will be for people that have an account, however creating an account does not require any payment
I tried to use websites to learn languages so I kinda know that a monthly premium account is a bit frustrating
For now there are basics about sheet music, the range of the ocarina and how a sheet music page is composed
I am working on a game to learn or practice musical notes both for beginners and advanced
It's been 8 years that I don't write a program so I have some dust and it will requires more time than how I was thinking
Video tutorials are in plan too,but first I must do some things that people asked me
Ok I cut it short !
This is the first article on the website : http://mickji.altervista.org/sheet-music/http://mickji.altervista.org/sheet-music/
Links are in bold so you should be able to travel in the full tutorial smoothly, links that are not in bold points to pages of the tutorial that are in draft and are not yet published,so give up on clicking them until they will be in blue underlined and bold ^^''
Please try it and tell me if it is too difficult, there too many informations, things are not fluent and also what are your questions and doubt so that more articles can be done and everyone can learn things by themselves smoothly so that everyone will learn sheet music and will not require tabs anymore other than if they want to "play" with it
Regards,
Mickji_^^_.

PS: I say sorry to everyone that wrote me messages in those years..I'm not good to use forums and TON is the only one that I force myself to use so I ask you a favour: if you write something about me, please can you send me a mail with the link of the message that you wrote? Else I'm not good to find it or else I'll answer after 1 year and more as it is yet happened '''>.> So I apologize to everyone that wrote to me and never had an answer, I'm not an arrogant person that doesn't care of you...I'm only not good to use forums m(_ _)m sorry
Website with sheet music accompaniment and tablature for ocarina + a tutorial about sheet music and ocarina playing
Visit http://www.mickji.altervista.org
Sorry for my bad english-american
Mickji_^^_.

Mickji
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

September 8th, 2013, 3:25 pm #2

Range of all the main types of ocarine added to it
Natural notes added to it
Sharp and flat notes added to it
Page structure added to it
Learn sheet music – same tone
Clefs added to it
Values values of notes and pauses added to it
Learn sheet music – keys
Learn sheet music - tempo
Different notations added to it...I feel it is going a bit out of the argument sheet music now
Color legenda
Learn sheet music - articulation

Learn ocarina – fingerings
Learn ocarina subholes

What should I add next ?
Last edited by Mickji on June 30th, 2014, 2:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Website with sheet music accompaniment and tablature for ocarina + a tutorial about sheet music and ocarina playing
Mickji_^^_.

Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 8th, 2013, 10:44 pm #3

What's a PRA? Why the coloured animals?

Please DON'T make words up. Double ocarinas are not "doublets", the plural of "ocarina" is "ocarinas" in English, and "truplet" is not a word. Music theory is complicated enough without learning new words the reader will never see outside your website.

The idea of associating pitch classes with colours isn't helpful. The reader then has to remember the colourings AS WELL as other new stuff. Where is the compensating benefit?
wrote:The cleff that tells you who plays the main melody and who is the accompaniment.
Not a sentence,"clef" is misspelt, and that's not what clefs are for anyway.

angiessa
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Triple Ocarinist x 2

September 9th, 2013, 12:27 am #4

English is a second language for Mickji, so she's most likely not making words up -- they're just getting a bit twisted in translation.

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5

September 9th, 2013, 12:33 am #5

I think Osawa ocarinas are labeled Doublet and Triplet respectively for the Double and Triple ocarinas.

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 9th, 2013, 12:56 am #6

Mickji is not a native English speaker but she is working hard to compile a helpful tutorial for musical newbies. Why don't we give her a break, Jack? Would you like to write a better explanation of music theory in Korean? or Italian?

Nope, didn't think so. :)
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer

Jack Campin
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 9th, 2013, 1:25 am #7

It would probably be better if she did it in her native language first.

I was concerned about misinformation. Readers should not go away from the site with a musical language nobody else uses. If the nomenclature for ocarina names is bizarre, is the music terminology going to be any better? I don't know, since I can't see what she's written about it, but surely it's helpful to warn that she might be advised to find the normal terms for things and use them?

Remember this is a COMMERCIAL VENTURE, she's charging for it (unlike anything on my site). Maybe I should charge a consultancy fee for making suggestions about how to improve it.

(Yes, I did consider getting my ocarina page translated into Italian. The problem is I update it, and it would be too much to expect my Italian pal to follow my random schedule, she hasn't got that much time).

Oh sod it. I'm out of here. The thing can just fester if that's the response I get for trying to be constructive. I won't look at this thread again.

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster

September 9th, 2013, 1:32 am #8

Jack Campin wrote:It would probably be better if she did it in her native language first.

I was concerned about misinformation. Readers should not go away from the site with a musical language nobody else uses. If the nomenclature for ocarina names is bizarre, is the music terminology going to be any better? I don't know, since I can't see what she's written about it, but surely it's helpful to warn that she might be advised to find the normal terms for things and use them?

Remember this is a COMMERCIAL VENTURE, she's charging for it (unlike anything on my site). Maybe I should charge a consultancy fee for making suggestions about how to improve it.

(Yes, I did consider getting my ocarina page translated into Italian. The problem is I update it, and it would be too much to expect my Italian pal to follow my random schedule, she hasn't got that much time).

Oh sod it. I'm out of here. The thing can just fester if that's the response I get for trying to be constructive. I won't look at this thread again.
There, there, Jack. No need to get all ruffly. I know you mean well you old codger. It's just that you sometimes come across as very Colonel Mustard-like in your constructive criticisms. Very peppery and vinegar despite the fact I sincerely believe you have a soft spot. Anybody who loves cats like you do, cant' be all bad IMO. :rofl:

Oh, and that Contribute link on Mickji's webpage is optional. You can still view her tutorials for free. At least I was able to do so when I checked it out a couple days ago.
Last edited by pandorado100 on September 9th, 2013, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer

Firmament
Double Ocarinist x 3
Double Ocarinist x 3

September 9th, 2013, 1:39 am #9

- - -
Last edited by Firmament on September 9th, 2013, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[+] Ocarinas in Collection
Focalink SG
Focalink DAC
Songbird Dragon Tooth in C
Songbird Scarab in C
Rotter 4 Loch Pendant in C
[+] Other Instruments in Collection
Epiphone Special II
Epiphone es-339 Pro
Otto Ernst Fischer Violin 1995
Thomann cheapy Violin for traveling
Roland Drumset
Roland MIDI keyboard
6 keyed Piccolo

Mickji
Double Ocarinist
Double Ocarinist

September 9th, 2013, 10:23 am #10

Jack Campin I thank you
However as you yet said PRA are the colored animals
They are usefull for people with visual memory and dyslexia problems
Tell me, if you are not english will it be easier to remember a weird sentence to remember half of the notes and then count the lines or learn only the colors? in this way you don't need translations nor you have to count the lines. So you need to do less things.. maybe you find it difficult because you are doing 3 things in your head since you already know the musical notes, but I tested this with childrens.. in one week they were able to read sheet music ^^.
Mark Chan you are right.
Doublets, truplets,triplets,quadruple are used in French Japanese and other languages, this is why I wrote them as different ways to name these kinds of ocarine
( トリプレット trupletto literaly)
About ocarina I can tell you that it is an italian word, so it is correct to use the italian plural instead of the english way to create plurals...else I can use the asian way ( plural does not exist so you'll see one ocarina two ocarina a bunch of ocarina )
One other thing Jack Campin, were you forced to pay to get the informations? No, you only pay when you want a sheet music or tabs in a high resolution and the accompaniment of it...so I don't think that you can say it is charging you.
As I wrote in the main message, the links that are not bold cannot be viewed even if you create an account because if they are not bold it means that they point to drawfts.
And as I wrote in the first article "The website is not yet translated in other languages. Soon after speakers of the mother tongue will be found, the site will be translated ( chinese english german italian japanese korean russian spanish)" So...I accept help from anyone that can help ^^ and if you want I can help you translating things in Italian Jack Campin if you want.
Firmament there is a problem...music is a mix of languages, many words are borrowed from Italian but some things are translated in a very different way Example :
measures -> battuta (beat)
clef - > chiave (key)
staff - > pentagramma (pentagram)
con moto -> con moto
A la coda -> a la coda
Will you say that a 1/4 note is a quarter or a semiminima ?
So music must be learned in many different languages, you cannot just learn it in one language because when you'll try to translate it then the other people will look at it like an alien
And Jack Campin...be a bit patient...as I already wrote, I'm not so good to use forums so I need a bit of time, to find threads to answer etc and even if I click F5, the page will not show your answer,so time is required to reand and answer to your messages, I'm not ignoring you ( just to make it clear for everyone )
And I thank you pandorado100 because you always have a calm and analitical way to analize everything so that you are never angry with me ^w^
Oh and thank you also Angiessa for understanding ^^
And.. I wrote Clef instead of cleff...I put the double f because of "staff" .. I also have dyslexia
Jack Campin I moved the names that you don't like down and the names that you like up, so that names that nobody else uses are now a secondary information and people will skip it.
What is the thing that you said you cannot see ? "is the music terminology going to be any better? I don't know, since I can't see what she's written about it, "
I deleted all the links that points to draft pages, so there will not be the worry of that
Last edited by Mickji on September 9th, 2013, 12:59 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Mickji_^^_.