Gabbb
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Joined: September 15th, 2014, 12:32 pm

July 14th, 2015, 9:20 am #11

Congrats Mark! what are you going to play? Yoshi's Island? That's like your evergreen haha
Quote
Like
Share

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 7:10 pm

July 14th, 2015, 1:53 pm #12

Thanks! I don't know what I will play yet, but I want to play something uptempo and energetic. I also want to play something that not many people play.
Quote
Like
Share

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 11:26 pm

July 14th, 2015, 2:27 pm #13

Mark Chan wrote:Thanks! I don't know what I will play yet, but I want to play something uptempo and energetic. I also want to play something that not many people play.
The Yodobashi Camera Store song? Or that really perky song you like to play by Kyary Pamyu Pamyu? :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMdjJ3 ... zC4hFK5P3g

"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer


Quote
Like
Share

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 7:10 pm

July 14th, 2015, 3:23 pm #14

I'd rather not play pop music. Those are just songs I like to play for fun.
It's not something I'd want to represent myself with at an ocarina festival.
Quote
Like
Share

Tentenguy
Double Ocarinist x 4
Double Ocarinist x 4
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 2:03 pm

July 14th, 2015, 4:03 pm #15

Play this! It's cool and fun, but also very flashy!
[+] Ocarina Collection
Clay
Menaglio Do1, Sol2, Do3 and Sol4
Focalink Forte SG, AC and Various Four-holes
Takashi White Smoke-Fired 3F
Wooden
Hind Inline Set
NCW alto Harmony Double
Plastic/Other
Focalink Plastic AC and 2 SCs
TNG Plastic Triple AC, Pendant AC, SC, Transverse AC and SC
Zin BC
Mountain Warmstone in C and G
Black Night by Noble AC
Quote
Like
Share

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 11:26 pm

July 15th, 2015, 7:35 am #16

Mark Chan wrote:I'd rather not play pop music. Those are just songs I like to play for fun.
It's not something I'd want to represent myself with at an ocarina festival.
I see your point although I did enjoy the Kyari Pamyu Pamyu song. If it hadn't been for your video, I probably never would have heard of it. :)

Whatever you do, please don't play Hora Staccato. I'm honestly sick and tired of seeing Willy's video of it. It's bad enough there are tons of videos of extremely talented Asian kids who are barely 7 years old who seem to be able to play it with ease.


I like Henry's suggestion of Bizet's music from Carmen. Do you think you'll be able to get an accompanist to play the piano for you when you perform? What style of music are you looking to play? I'll keep an eye on my internet browsing and if I come across anything that might suit, I'll post it here.
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer


Quote
Like
Share

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 7:10 pm

July 15th, 2015, 3:16 pm #17

Thanks TenTenGuy. That does sound like fun.

Pandorado100, the first thing that comes to mind when Willy is mentioned is Hungarian Dance No. 5. I don't think I've seen the Hora Staccato video. I don't know anybody well enough to get them to play piano for me. But since Milt will be there, maybe I can borrow his guitarist, lol.

Quote
Like
Share

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 11:26 pm

July 15th, 2015, 3:29 pm #18

Mark Chan wrote:Thanks TenTenGuy. That does sound like fun.

Pandorado100, the first thing that comes to mind when Willy is mentioned is Hungarian Dance No. 5. I don't think I've seen the Hora Staccato video. I don't know anybody well enough to get them to play piano for me. But since Milt will be there, maybe I can borrow his guitarist, lol.
I think you are right, it was Hungarian Dance no5. I love the song but not Willy's version. I can't explain but his playing annoys me. Maybe I'm being just like Pat with his aversion to bobbing and weaving during ocarina performances. :grin:

If you want to play some traditional Chinese music, I'll bet Casper could help you locate some backtracks and jianpu sheets. I love his version of Chinese Beauty but that is a very slow, stately song. He also plays a pretty good version of Telephone by Lady Gaga but you may not want to represent yourself at the festival with that. :rofl:

Maybe Hans can thiink of some good tunes to play. Tom also posted that he might be able to make it to the festival. You two should buddy up and play a duet together.
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer


Quote
Like
Share

Mark Chan
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Quadruple Ocarinist x 5
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 7:10 pm

July 15th, 2015, 3:32 pm #19

pandorado100 wrote:Tom also posted that he might be able to make it to the festival. You two should buddy up and play a duet together.
I want to, but I'm not certain he'll be able to attend. Hopefully his visa gets extended.
Quote
Like
Share

pandorado100
Premium Poster
Premium Poster
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 11:26 pm

July 15th, 2015, 3:38 pm #20

Mark Chan wrote:
pandorado100 wrote:Tom also posted that he might be able to make it to the festival. You two should buddy up and play a duet together.
I want to, but I'm not certain he'll be able to attend. Hopefully his visa gets extended.
The world needs a McChan Vanopphem duet! Maybe not this year's festival but someday in the future. :)

I'm counting on you to take lots of pictures so I can enjoy the festival remotely.
"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."
-- Albert Schweitzer


Quote
Like
Share