Why a Rapido NH FB but no NH FA?

nhhe52
Member
Joined: March 26th, 2004, 12:19 am

April 13th, 2018, 9:08 am #1

Am I missing something?
Quote
Like
Share

Ron High
Member
Joined: June 6th, 2003, 4:08 pm

April 13th, 2018, 9:42 am #2

No it is Rapido that is missing the FA1. The FB2 is to go with their FA2 they recently released .I guess they think there is enough of a market for NH models of the FB2s to announce these items. It looks as though they are doing the green and  dulux gold stripes and the McGinnis paint.
Maybe in the future they will do an FA1. The NH bought 5 FB2s #465 to 469 to build extra power on Maybrook trains.
Ron High
https://rapidotrains.com/ho-alco-mlw-fb2/
As I looked through their info I see that they are doing the green and gold # 465 ,466, 467 and the McGinnis in # 468, 469
According to my research the 469 lasted in green and gold right to the end and the 465 , 468 were repainted into McGinnis. The 466 and467 were repainted into the Alpert black and red which Rapido does not have listed .If I am wrong please correct me. I hope we can verify what I have posted and notify Rapido.
Quote
Like
Share

rsullivan
Member
Joined: December 14th, 2016, 3:36 pm

April 13th, 2018, 10:22 am #3

      I agree with Mr. High. When I opened the Rapido Trains Inc's "Rapido News 100 - Three New Annoucements" and read about the FB2's I thought they were going to be matching paint schemes for the FA2's and FPA2's being annouced. When I scrolled down and observed that the two New Haven schemes were being offered I became very happy. Rapido also showed a picture of a RS11 with two FB2s on the lead of a long freight that was taken by Mr. David Sweetland. The teaser caption reads, "Two fifths of New Haven's FB-2 fleet help RS-11 1412 haul a mixed freight. Gee, that New Haven RS-11 is also pretty spiffy. Someone should make a museum-quality model of that. David Sweetland photo courtesy John Sheridan collection." I say teaser because of the line "Someone should make a museum-quality model of that." 
      For me this was an unexpected release, and using the snooze-you-loose principle, I'm going to squeeze up enough money for three FB2 locomotives. Two will be in the delivery scheme and one in the McGinnis scheme. I think it's a shame it isn't known as the Matter scheme. I'll be giving my pre-order to my local brick-n-mortar hobby shop. These will go with my one LifeLike FB2 from years gone by. Though probable never back-to-back.
      Back to the teaser. I seem to remember about a two year gap between when Rapido first teased about a New Haven electric, and then mentioned the EP-5, and finally annouced the locomotive for pre-orders. So, are the minds north of the 49th parallel 🇨🇦 using Pavlov's Principles of Classic Conditioning to start our mouths a watering? Rapido has been so great for New Haven Railroad modellers and fans that I really don't mind walking around with a bib to catch my drooling over the possible new New Haven items. Let's see, there are the prospect of another stainless steel passenger car of the food service or parlor baggage variety, a RDC-4, making an informal reply regarding the NHRHTA's Forum mentioning possible 4400 series coaches, and I may have missed others. So, now I'm having to drink an extra five tumblers of fluids everyday to keep up with the drool factor.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  Member #3967
Quote
Like
Share

nhhe52
Member
Joined: March 26th, 2004, 12:19 am

April 13th, 2018, 10:33 am #4

Ron High wrote: No it is Rapido that is missing the FA1. The FB2 is to go with their FA2 they recently released .I guess they think there is enough of a market for NH models of the FB2s to announce these items. It looks as though they are doing the green and  dulux gold stripes and the McGinnis paint.
Maybe in the future they will do an FA1. The NH bought 5 FB2s #465 to 469 to build extra power on Maybrook trains.
Ron High
https://rapidotrains.com/ho-alco-mlw-fb2/
As I looked through their info I see that they are doing the green and gold # 465 ,466, 467 and the McGinnis in # 468, 469
According to my research the 469 lasted in green and gold right to the end and the 465 , 468 were repainted into McGinnis. The 466 and467 were repainted into the Alpert black and red which Rapido does not have listed .If I am wrong please correct me. I hope we can verify what I have posted and notify Rapido.
Ron:

I understand NH didn’t have FA2’s so then why not make a run of the FA1 for the NH and others.  Are the differences that great between the 1 and 2?.   I know the class  lights were different.

I very much want to support Rapido but wouldn’t be interested in the NH FB2 without a matching paint scheme set of NH FA1s.  It would be a real leap of faith to order a number of NH FB2’s in the hopes Rapido will someday do a run of FA1’s in NH livery.

Ed
Quote
Like
Share

rapidobill
Member
Joined: January 27th, 2012, 6:42 pm

April 13th, 2018, 10:39 am #5

"I understand NH didn’t have FA2’s so then why not make a run of the FA1 for the NH and others.  Are the differences that great between the 1 and 2?."

Well, they share trucks, windshields and headlights.... ;>)

The FA-1 is significantly shorter so would require all-new tooling. I wish it were more simple!

Bill
Quote
Like
Share

Ron High
Member
Joined: June 6th, 2003, 4:08 pm

April 13th, 2018, 11:02 am #6

nhhe52 wrote:
Ron High wrote: No it is Rapido that is missing the FA1. The FB2 is to go with their FA2 they recently released .I guess they think there is enough of a market for NH models of the FB2s to announce these items. It looks as though they are doing the green and  dulux gold stripes and the McGinnis paint.
Maybe in the future they will do an FA1. The NH bought 5 FB2s #465 to 469 to build extra power on Maybrook trains.
Ron High
https://rapidotrains.com/ho-alco-mlw-fb2/
As I looked through their info I see that they are doing the green and gold # 465 ,466, 467 and the McGinnis in # 468, 469
According to my research the 469 lasted in green and gold right to the end and the 465 , 468 were repainted into McGinnis. The 466 and467 were repainted into the Alpert black and red which Rapido does not have listed .If I am wrong please correct me. I hope we can verify what I have posted and notify Rapido.
Ron:

I understand NH didn’t have FA2’s so then why not make a run of the FA1 for the NH and others.  Are the differences that great between the 1 and 2?.   I know the class  lights were different.

I very much want to support Rapido but wouldn’t be interested in the NH FB2 without a matching paint scheme set of NH FA1s.  It would be a real leap of faith to order a number of NH FB2’s in the hopes Rapido will someday do a run of FA1’s in NH livery.

Ed
My favorite engines on the NH were the Alco FA1,FB1 and FB2.   I have some of the Proto FA1, FB1 and some of the Fratateschi FA1s ., Hobbytown FB2s and  a set of the old TM FA1 FB1. I think the TM/Walthers  FA1 FB1 were just an ok model of them . I think the Proto and Fratateschi FAs were much better and more accurate versions. I think if Rapido did an FA1 /FB1 they would be outstanding .I am sure their FB2 will be the best ever. I think they are doing the NH FB2s as stand alone because we as  New Haven Modelers have supported their NH models so well. So if they ever do an FA1/FB1 we can hope there will be the best ever done FAs
Ron High
Quote
Like
Share

rsullivan
Member
Joined: December 14th, 2016, 3:36 pm

April 13th, 2018, 11:14 am #7

     Mr. Ed(nhhe52). My first FA1 was a LifeLike L&N that I stripped the paint off of it, moved the rear fan grill and roof fan to the back end, changed out the front number boards, the exhaust vent, and several other items to make them "look" like the New Haven FA1's. I later acquired some Brazilian made models (I don't recall the brandname) at a local show and modified them to New Haven FA1's. The side-by-side difference in length is very noticiable. I have thought about shortening the frame, body, and other items to make it correct but decided to forget it and use it as a stand in model. Last year I picked up a pair of MTH FA1 in the McGinnis livery at a trainshow down here in Bowling Green surprisingly. The only thing really going for my LifeLike model is that with a bunch of work the fan on the roof originally allows it to still spin. Like Mr. Rapidobill says, "I  wish it were more simple!"
     While the Rapdio versions of locomotives are hands down much better than what came before. No matter how tempting, I strongly recommend against trying to kitbash a FA2 into a FA1 based on my own experience. (I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Rapido FB1 if they want ot try the modifications.) I'm hoping that the prime mover sound decoder will come available someday to add to my FA1's like I have done for my two EDER5's I kitbashed based on a very old article in I think Model Railroader. Do they look good next to the Rapdio EDER5's. No, but I can run them on separate trains and from a distance they do more than work as stand in locomotives. Plus, they are scheduled for body modifications to make them closer to the Rapdio standard. That is closer since I will never match Rapido's attention to detail on their EDER5's. They are too fastidious in the amount and scale of details provided and I know my modelling limits.
     How will I use the FB2's? The same way the New Haven did and will place them in various locomotive lashups to include the FA1, FB1, FA1 line up. Well, that's my two-cents (US) of an opinion on the FB2's.
Richard (short form) #3967
Quote
Like
Share

Ron High
Member
Joined: June 6th, 2003, 4:08 pm

April 13th, 2018, 11:27 am #8

rsullivan wrote:      Mr. Ed(nhhe52). My first FA1 was a LifeLike L&N that I stripped the paint off of it, moved the rear fan grill and roof fan to the back end, changed out the front number boards, the exhaust vent, and several other items to make them "look" like the New Haven FA1's. I later acquired some Brazilian made models (I don't recall the brandname) at a local show and modified them to New Haven FA1's. The side-by-side difference in length is very noticiable. I have thought about shortening the frame, body, and other items to make it correct but decided to forget it and use it as a stand in model. Last year I picked up a pair of MTH FA1 in the McGinnis livery at a trainshow down here in Bowling Green surprisingly. The only thing really going for my LifeLike model is that with a bunch of work the fan on the roof originally allows it to still spin. Like Mr. Rapidobill says, "I  wish it were more simple!"
     While the Rapdio versions of locomotives are hands down much better than what came before. No matter how tempting, I strongly recommend against trying to kitbash a FA2 into a FA1 based on my own experience. (I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Rapido FB1 if they want ot try the modifications.) I'm hoping that the prime mover sound decoder will come available someday to add to my FA1's like I have done for my two EDER5's I kitbashed based on a very old article in I think Model Railroader. Do they look good next to the Rapdio EDER5's. No, but I can run them on separate trains and from a distance they do more than work as stand in locomotives. Plus, they are scheduled for body modifications to make them closer to the Rapdio standard. That is closer since I will never match Rapido's attention to detail on their EDER5's. They are too fastidious in the amount and scale of details provided and I know my modelling limits.
     How will I use the FB2's? The same way the New Haven did and will place them in various locomotive lashups to include the FA1, FB1, FA1 line up. Well, that's my two-cents (US) of an opinion on the FB2's.
Richard (short form) #3967
The advantage of the FB2 for us NH modelers was that in addition to operating in sets of FA1 ,FB1 and FB2 combinations after rebuilding and modifications they were used with other combination of engines. The rebuilt FA1sFB1s and FB2s could run with the 1956 road switchers and Alco rebuilt RS3s resulting in very interesting combinations.
Ron High
Quote
Like
Share

rsullivan
Member
Joined: December 14th, 2016, 3:36 pm

April 13th, 2018, 11:29 am #9

     As a side note. The  Rapido Trains Inc's "Rapido News 100 - Three New Annoucements" also had a section about "Our Home and Miniature Land" in Toronto. Now I have two reasons for I-69 to be finished to the north soon. First to hopefully visit Mr. Derek, and now to see this marvel being made.
     Mr. Shron also offers very good advice in "Model Railroading - Try Just 15 Minutes a Day." Well worth reading and rereading. Okay, so I submited 6-cents (US) of an opinion.
Richard (short form) #3967
Quote
Like
Share

Ron High
Member
Joined: June 6th, 2003, 4:08 pm

April 13th, 2018, 1:09 pm #10

Ron High wrote: No it is Rapido that is missing the FA1. The FB2 is to go with their FA2 they recently released .I guess they think there is enough of a market for NH models of the FB2s to announce these items. It looks as though they are doing the green and  dulux gold stripes and the McGinnis paint.
Maybe in the future they will do an FA1. The NH bought 5 FB2s #465 to 469 to build extra power on Maybrook trains.
Ron High
https://rapidotrains.com/ho-alco-mlw-fb2/
As I looked through their info I see that they are doing the green and gold # 465 ,466, 467 and the McGinnis in # 468, 469
According to my research the 469 lasted in green and gold right to the end and the 465 , 468 were repainted into McGinnis. The 466 and467 were repainted into the Alpert black and red which Rapido does not have listed .If I am wrong please correct me. I hope we can verify what I have posted and notify Rapido.
Here are a couple of photos of the McGinnis scheme 468and0458.JPG 465and1228.JPG
Quote
Like
Share