When kids were fascinated by and waved at trains.

6:54 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #1

I-5 and kids 001.jpg

Statkowski

6:57 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #2

And they still do.  Just watch the traincam at Horseshoe Curve on a weekend.  The kiddies wave, the engineer blows his horn, everyone is happy.

7:00 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #3

Brother Henry:
The same however does not hold true in The Bronx.

Peter R Ness

10:17 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #4

But Rick, that is NOT the Bronx - right? :D
I can say it is still true at Buzzards Bay. Somewhere I have a photo of my grandaughter waving at the Polar Express train from a year or so ago..

Peter Ness

Statkowski

12:33 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #5

Lots of people, grownups included, waiting to wave at the trains at Horseshoe Curve today.

Bill Reidy

6:59 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #6

Kids are still fascinated with trains.

I was conductor yesterday at the WW&F Railway Museum in Maine.  For our first train, we had a young family ride the train, and I was able to spend a lot of time talking with them.  They were looking for a fun family rainy day activity.  Their 4-to-5 year-old-old son had lots of questions about the train, which we answered.  As we were returning to the station, he realized the train ride was nearly over and had a very disappointed look on his face.  They spent quite a bit more time exploring our museum before leaving.

It was the best part of my day, for sure!

NHTX
NHTX

2:29 AM - Yesterday #7

Sadly, so many places that had trains, don't even have rails of any kind today.  So many other places where a kid could get to know the crew of the local switcher are now places where the trains don't even slow down or blow the horn.  You can't see anybody behind the tinted glass of the modern, air conditioned cab and there is no one in the caboose.  There is no caboose.  For a lot of us that used to wave at trainmen, today's railroads are like the Thanksgiving turkey three days after the event.