What's the Preferred Next Rapido NH LT WT Stainless Steel Car?

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
Ron High

June 26th, 2018, 9:01 pm #161

We got these cars partly because NHRHTA helped to fund them .Rapido stood by us. Some of our members did a lot to help with information and design but most importantly MEMBERS supported the effort by committing to preorders and sticking with it right to delivery. I think also Rapido knows how well received these cars were by us. As long as we put our money and our support out there I think Rapido will respond.
Ron High

John Sheridan

June 27th, 2018, 10:36 am #162

nhhe52 wrote: Perhaps Rapido would offer the combine in conjunction with the food service car(s).  They just announced the 5-car Tempo train set which I believe has three different passenger car configurations.

If they don’t get enough pre-orders for the combines they can cancel it.

Ed
The problem with this is that the NHRHTA has to put-up the extra cash UP FRONT to fund both cars. Of course they would get their money back if the pre-order number is not met. The problem here is that we are not talking about a few bucks but many thousands of dollars tied-up for months on-end.

The other problem you have is one car will compete with the other for sales. Let's face it - these cars are not cheap. So having 2 pre-orders on the market will likely amount to one car killing sales for the other car. This is why, if we do a food service car (aka Diner / Grill) we will only offer one or the other - NOT both.

rsullivan

June 27th, 2018, 11:45 am #163

Mr. Sheridan said, "This is why, if we do a food service car (aka Diner / Grill) we will only offer one or the other - NOT both." I'm kewl with that, and will buy my planned amount for whichever car is offered for pre-orders. Thanks for adding a realistic outlook on any future stainless steel streamline cars.
Richard

James Fellows

June 27th, 2018, 1:30 pm #164

If you want a County series Parlor/bag, you do what I did:

http://norwichandworcester.blogspot.com ... -cars.html

Jim Fellows

John Sheridan

June 27th, 2018, 2:01 pm #165

James Fellows wrote: If you want a County series Parlor/bag, you do what I did:

http://norwichandworcester.blogspot.com ... -cars.html

Jim Fellows
Jim,

Do you still plan on trying the Union Station fluting ? 

James Fellows

June 27th, 2018, 2:06 pm #166

I have not decided, I really do not need the rebuilt cars for my layout, but I may do it for fun.

Jim

John Sheridan

June 28th, 2018, 8:08 am #167

James Fellows wrote: I have not decided, I really do not need the rebuilt cars for my layout, but I may do it for fun.

Jim
I have several of their kits for the NYC New England States & PRR Congressional Budd cars. If I find some time I might pull one out & give it a try.

NH in VA

June 28th, 2018, 10:20 pm #168

John Sheridan wrote:
nhhe52 wrote: Perhaps Rapido would offer the combine in conjunction with the food service car(s).  They just announced the 5-car Tempo train set which I believe has three different passenger car configurations.

Ed
The problem with this is that the NHRHTA has to put-up the extra cash UP FRONT to fund both cars. Of course they would get their money back if the pre-order number is not met. The problem here is that we are not talking about a few bucks but many thousands of dollars tied-up for months on-end.

The other problem you have is one car will compete with the other for sales. Let's face it - these cars are not cheap. So having 2 pre-orders on the market will likely amount to one car killing sales for the other car. This is why, if we do a food service car (aka Diner / Grill) we will only offer one or the other - NOT both.
John -
Speaking for myself, but perhaps for others, I would wish there were a way to get both food service cars.  Personally I go with the argument we need food service cars before more parlors.  People need to eat on long trips and I think the consist would be more balanced with food service cars - adds variety to the consist as well.  (Given the either / or choice, I'd go with diners by the way.)  But perhaps there's a way to do both - ask for deposits in advance.  Maybe, say, 25% of the expected NHRHTA price as a deposit so the society is not hung out as much.  I know this has not been done before, and it would be additional work for the "few who do".  But perhaps it might make two different cars available simultaneously.  I understand your point of competition between the two cars for the purchaser's limited dollars. But with some money plunked down in advance It would spread the buyers' load as well - I expect the food service cars will end up costing more no matter what - and might push the sales higher.  My thoughts, but not those of a businessman in this hobby.
To be clear - I appreciate what has already been produced and am happy with the quality.  I never thought several years ago we'd have the OB and SS cars we now have.  It won't go on for ever, so I'm thinking of the diversity of cars we might still get before the well runs dry.
Thanks.

John Sheridan

June 29th, 2018, 8:26 am #169

NH in VA wrote:
John Sheridan wrote:

Ed

John -
Speaking for myself, but perhaps for others, I would wish there were a way to get both food service cars.  Personally I go with the argument we need food service cars before more parlors.  People need to eat on long trips and I think the consist would be more balanced with food service cars - adds variety to the consist as well.  (Given the either / or choice, I'd go with diners by the way.)  But perhaps there's a way to do both - ask for deposits in advance.  Maybe, say, 25% of the expected NHRHTA price as a deposit so the society is not hung out as much.  I know this has not been done before, and it would be additional work for the "few who do".  But perhaps it might make two different cars available simultaneously.  I understand your point of competition between the two cars for the purchaser's limited dollars. But with some money plunked down in advance It would spread the buyers' load as well - I expect the food service cars will end up costing more no matter what - and might push the sales higher.  My thoughts, but not those of a businessman in this hobby.
To be clear - I appreciate what has already been produced and am happy with the quality.  I never thought several years ago we'd have the OB and SS cars we now have.  It won't go on for ever, so I'm thinking of the diversity of cars we might still get before the well runs dry.
Thanks.
We decided early on in this process that we would never, ever ask for deposits up-front. This kind of process leads to the Dark Side(tm)

I know what your thinking _ "So why not ? Makes sense to me".

Here's the issue: If we ask for up-front deposits we need to carefully account for the monies for each person who pre-orders. What typically happens is when the project meets delays or some unexpected event that causes the cars not to be ready, you will get people demanding their cash back as it has sat in our account for months (maybe years). People get antsy when their money is not getting them what they want for a long time. (Mind you there are delays in the manufacturing & shipping, & distribution process that can & do happen all the time) When people start asking for their money back, this causes our deposit money to the manufacturer to dwindle but we still need to pay them somehow & make-up for the loss somewhere. Where does that money come from ? Hopefully the treasury if they can afford it. If not, then we have a huge problem on our hands as the manufacturer wants their money & we want our product. Neither are going to happen until the funds are found. See the problem ?  This has happened quite a few times in this industry. Many vendors & manufacturers have learned this lesson - some the hard way.

(FWIW, Rapido has a policy written in our contract that states we are not allowed to ask for a deposit up-front. To do so violates the contract & they can cancel the project because of it. This kind of policy is good for them & good for us because it removes the problem described above & also keeps the potential mob with torches at bay.)

Starting to make sense now ? 

When we do the pre-orders for a project, we do not ask for any money whatsoever until the product leaves the dock & heads to us. That usually means that we are within 60 days from getting the product to your hands. Of course the container could fall off the ship, trains derails & container is ruined, etc but those kind of problems are insured against loss. Delays can & do happen when the product is held in customs but those are only about 10-15 days added to the scheduled delivery date. When a project is finally at the manufacturer & is ready to be shipped to us, monies are exchanged with the manufacturer & the product ships. 

"So why do we ask for the money when the product is shipping. Isn't this almost the same thing as asking up-front "?

The easy answer is that when we enter the window of shipment, We collect the monies from you so we can make sure:

A. You still want the product (you can still cancel right up to payment time).
B. Your pre-payment method is still valid (Credit Cards change, checks bounce, etc.)
C. You're still with us above ground (this can & does happen as the entire process does take about a year from start to finish).  

While the product is physically in-transit, we can focus on chasing money. When it is shipped to us, we can focus on shipping & not worry about the money.

This process work & works well -especially for us. We hope to keep doing this with projects for a very long time. Of course, the success of these projects depends on folks like you who support us in the pre-order process. As long as this process works for us, we will continue to offer you products that you want. 

James Fellows

June 29th, 2018, 8:46 am #170

We all have different priorities on what we want, I would rather have the County series then a Dinner, but that's just me.  Perhaps if you sold the Grill and a diner as a set you could do both.  Or better yet a County/grill set and a dinner/obs set and we could have all the cars with the exception of the rebuilt county cars.

What ever come out will be a vast improvement over what is available.  There are also options for kitbashing out there by using Union Station sides.

Jim Fellows