rsullivan

June 1st, 2017, 12:09 pm #131

Thank you Mr. Rapidobill. The timeline you stated is what I had speculated earlier of around 19 months. I suggested putting $110 away each month now for the cars, and that will allow between 12 and 19 cars with costs ranging from $175 to $110 per car. So if after that electric thingie (am I reading EP-5?) a decision is made that NH RR meal service cars will be a profitable venture for Rapido, I'll be ready. I started saving for a possible electric thingie (is that the French Canadien translation of US electric locomotive?) when I saw the first ads. Hopefully they will be around US$600 or so. That way I can buy three. I know, stop drifting with any tide or current. I'm looking forward to the powers to be at Rapido to see green (actuall multi-colour when I saw the new bills being released) in the profit margin in your far flung discussions on the meal service cars. I will keep searching the northeastern morning skies for that first glimmer of light emerging from the Rapido offices in Markum, Ontario.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.   member #3967
3668 Lone Valley Road
Calvert City, Kentucky 42029-8322
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr. member #3967

DBrion

June 1st, 2017, 1:34 pm #132

rapidobill wrote:
.... Then there is some electric thingie (sorry Rick!) that we promised to do which needs to have its design completed. 
Besides, we need to let your wallets recover! :>)
Can we guess what this might be ...... more than 4 axles? 

Rick Abramson

June 1st, 2017, 2:10 pm #133

Bill:

I thought the production schedule was the Jets then the parlors. . .

nhhe52

June 1st, 2017, 2:47 pm #134

Thanks, Bill, for keeping us informed.

Ed

Tom Curtin

June 1st, 2017, 2:54 pm #135

Well, I have been counselled on the evils of thread drift,
but after all, Narrows Light is a very interesting subject.  This all started in 1953 when that 1928-built
36 chair parlor was converted to a modern all-electric diner.  Contrary to what some may think it didn’t go
right to work on the Berkshire --- PTC books from the mid 50s show it on such
surprising services as a Boston-Washington train.  It showed up on the Berkshire sometime in the
summer of 1957. The April 1957 PTC does not show it on the Berkshire, but at
least one photo in late summer  [See
Sweetland, New England Rails, p. 16].

It remained in this service as a full diner until the daily
Berkshire trains were downgraded to a Budd car in March 1960, after which it
was used as the bar car on evening NY-Danbury train 144, continuing to
Pittsfield on Fridays, after which it deadheaded back to Danbury on Saturday
morning 141 where it was switched out and laid over there for the weekend.  That pattern continued until the car was
retired around late 1964 --- I don’t know exactly when it’s last trip was.

After I started college in New York city I was fortunate to
be able to make a number of trips on it when traveling home to Danbury for the
weekend [In case anybody cares I was legal New York drinking age at the time!].  In those pre-NHRHTA years I did not fully
appreciate the joy of riding on New Haven’s last active heavyweight, on 6-wheel
trucks, on New Haven rails, at main line speed. 
OK, so it was behind FL9s, but you can’t have everything!

nhrr246512

June 1st, 2017, 8:39 pm #136

Tom, lest we forget that the V:XI GBC down your way, as well a few "Butterflies to Caterpillar" coaches on the Boston Division, all made it past 1964 - the former, I believe, to the end of NHRR and the latter group to 1966. The Boston  commuter jobs with those coaches could move pretty well through the Roxbury flats on trains to Providence, Franklin and Stoughton, but admittedly the faded green coach  I rode on a train on the Needham Line in 1965 (probably #652) didn't quite make mainline speeds on the far track from Chickering to Forest Hills. (Sorry for adding to the thread drift.)

Tom Curtin

June 2nd, 2017, 7:29 am #137

Shame on me,  I forgot about VXI-GBC!  I guess that did outlive Narrows Light.  However, I had thought all the converted heavyweights at the Boston end were retired by the early 60's

John Sheridan

June 2nd, 2017, 9:06 am #138

If you guys want heavyweight diners, I suggest that you reach out to John Greene of Bethlehem Car works & let him know.  He is looking for a New Haven Diner to do as one of his upcoming projects. Yes, I will be the one designing it for him. Yes, you will have to build it yourself.
I am leaning to do the Yankee Clipper diners right now but I can be talked into doing others.

Does anyone have drawings/photos/etc for New Haven Heavyweight diners ? Reach out & talk to me. 

I will be at the RPM Enfield meet this weekend as well so come & look for me to discuss.

Now to bring this conversation back to the grill/diner. Those 61-NO trucks (No one has ever done this truck) for the Diner/Grill were fitted to many of the Heavyweight diners during the 1950s.  So.............. if we do get the Diner/Grill from Rapido we also get some nice trucks for the rest of the diners 
Last edited by John Sheridan on June 2nd, 2017, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Abramson

June 2nd, 2017, 9:44 am #139

John:

I believe several years ago Train Station Products produced the 61-NO trucks in kit form.

John Sheridan

June 2nd, 2017, 9:57 am #140

Rick Abramson wrote:
John:

I believe several years ago Train Station Products produced the 61-NO trucks in kit form.
Did they ? I don't ever remember seeing one.