What's the Preferred Next Rapido NH LT WT Stainless Steel Car?

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
rsullivan

May 30th, 2017, 10:07 am #121

Thanks Mr. Joe Smith(haksawjoes) for the pictures That the entire kitchen area was windowless, that the car retained the Narrows Light name in the McGinnis scheme, and the extra vents over the kitchen area will help me if I decide to model this car in the future. Mr. Statkowski asked for a diagram or photo. While I didn't find either labelled as Narrows Light, I found some that match and here is why. NHRHTA standing data 5.100 passenger car information (1974) sheets 5.130 and 5.131 show there were 17 36-chair parlor cars built in 1927 and 1929 to Pullman plan #3916 in lots 6077 and 6319. Ten were in lot 6319 and all were named in the "Light" series. Shoreliner, volume 36, issue 1, has a chart showing all ten parlor cars assigned to the Merchants Limited and built to Pullman plan #3916B. Page 22 presents a picture of Warwick Light (2064) showing the full length a/c duct side. In the article "Butterfilies to Caterpillars" in Shoreliner, volume 21, issue 3, there is a roster of all the converted parlor cars, and it includes all 17 36-chair Pullman plan #3916 cars showing Pullman plan #, parlor car #, coach car #, Pullman name, number of coach seats converted to, and the conversion date. Coaches 600, 602 - 608, 612, 612 and 622 were all converted prior to July 13, 1950, and were converted from Pullman plan #3916 parlor cars with 600, 621 and 622 from the "Light" series. On page 22 there is a diagram for all the Pullman plan #3916 converted coaches I just listed. It shows the original window locations on both sides, and the original lavatory/saloon locations as these weren't changed during the conversion. The remaining six "Light" series parlor cars were converted after September 1953, so while the diagram is proabably correct for the windows and lavatory/saloons, I don't think the seats are correct because they received a different number of seats. I think this diagram can be used with accuracy for the Narrows Light car structure. Regarding the correct placement of the 36 chairs or the 32 diner seats-8 lounge seats, and the structural changes to the car body when converted to a diner, I haven't found anything. Mr. Joe Smith's pictures and link to an earlier NHRHTA Forum thread are great starting points though. I hope this helps.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.   member #3967
3668 Lone Valley Road
Calvert City, Kentucky 42029-8322
Last edited by rsullivan on May 30th, 2017, 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr. member #3967

Statkowski

May 30th, 2017, 11:40 am #122

Everything on the Narrows Light, including interior shots, was posted in Archive #7 under the "Narrows Light-DUDLEY-QUINCY et all" posting, but all that currently shows up for the pictures are little boxes with an "X" in them. 

http://thenhrhtanewhavenrailroadforum.y ... S2RprpFyP9

haksawjoes

May 30th, 2017, 12:25 pm #123

These 2 photos are from the 2006 post, I printed them out back then when I built my model. These are scans from those copies.
First is the dining area from lounge, don't know why last 2 tables have a checked tablecloth, made the ones on my model red & white. .
Second photo is kitchen/serving area from dining area. 

Joe

haksawjoes

May 30th, 2017, 12:51 pm #124

This photo is also a scan from the 2006 post. This photo shows the entire kitchen side, there are only 5 paired window sets on this side. The photo is again at Danbury, don't know if Pete took this one too.
Joe

eshoben

May 30th, 2017, 5:10 pm #125

Joe-

I was in Narrows Light only once: December of 1960. I remember the red and white checkered tablecloths. I can't swear that all of them were red and white, but my recollection is that they were. Whether a 56+ year-old recollection is worth anything at all, I'll leave to others to judge. -Ed

rapidobill

May 31st, 2017, 1:52 pm #126

Just to be clear, we have no plans to do heavyweight parlors.... :>)

Bill

rsullivan

May 31st, 2017, 3:43 pm #127

Thanks Mr. rapidobill for pointing out the dangers in thread drift. But, does your comment imply a glimmer of light indicating that there are plans for something New Haven RR in a fluted and/or tubular-smoothside streamline passenger car of some type? I know there was only one line which makes it hard to read between the lines in; but in multiple threads, hope has been springing if not eternal at least towards the horizon.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.   member #3967
3668 Lone Valley Road

DBrion

May 31st, 2017, 5:41 pm #128

If hope springing eternal is somewhat equivalent to calculated wishful thinking then we are still on this side of the horizon.  Having said that however, once the ridge of the horizon is reached there may be a nice set of LW SS grilles and diners waiting to be purchased.  I can see them now!  
Last edited by DBrion on June 1st, 2017, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

rsullivan

May 31st, 2017, 8:48 pm #129

Mr. DBrion. I'm with you awaiting the first rays of the sun to burst over the horizon when the NHRHTA announces that the pre-order form for the Pullman-Standard stainless steel streamline meal service cars in both the grill and diner configurations can be downloaded on the NHRHTA's general information webpage. I already have my shopping list by meal service car type and paint scheme and with or without skirts, with a price range from $110 to $175 per car. Depending upon the unit price, my list has between 19 and 12 cars in the various configurations and schemes. These will supplement my NHRHTA brass car side diner and grill cars I already have, although I know I'm going to have to upgrade them with the higher standard cars available for the consists. So I'll be searching the northeastern sky for those rays shining above Markham, Ontario that indicate a new dawn in model railroading, especially for us New Haven RR fans.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967
3668 Lone Valley Road

rapidobill

June 1st, 2017, 11:27 am #130

Wow, as Richard pointed out, a one line reply and you're trying to read between it! ;>)

Right, for the record.... We've said several times that we would like to continue to do additional cars in the Pullman-Bradley stainless series as long as two criteria are met:

1) Sales of the previous car style were enough to be profitable (as was the case on the coaches and, yes, now the parlors)

and:

2) We can make a good business case for the next car - of which there are several possible styles to choose from.

Right now our concern is getting the parlors produced, that will be starting shortly. Then there is some electric thingie (sorry Rick!) that we promised to do which needs to have its design completed. THEN we will start considering what we may or may not do next.

When it comes time to make that decision we will be looking at additional tooling costs vs. potential sales. As has been discussed, we are now down to cars that will sell fewer overall units than the 8600s or parlors, so the average retail will likely have to be higher in order to make the project viable.

Regardless, we won't be making or announcing any decision until after the parlors ship, and given the lead time needed to develop/tool/sell a new model it would be a good year after the parlors ship before we would be selling any next model. Besides, we need to let your wallets recover! :>)

Regardless, let me again thank NHRHTA and its members for helping to make the last two project possible.

Hope to see some of you at the New England Proto Meet this weekend in Enfield.

Bill