pattbaa

September 10th, 2018, 2:21 pm #11

I submit  the EP-1  as  the most "iconic" beacuse of it's impact on transportation technology. I composed an article titled "Great New Haven electrification was underway 100 years ago" which was published in a Greenwich newspaper. The article included what may have been the first of all  NHRR electric locomotives photographs. The photo is dated "1905" and shows  the EP-1 as it appeared when still in the prototype phase of design W/O  lettering and a road-#.

I was carefull to decribe the locomotive as "the World's first 'main-line' locomotive to operate on alternating current". I made this qualification because as best I knew the EP-1 was not the first A.C. locomotive  to exist ; there was  a prior A.C. locomotive but it's operational abilty was much limited and operated on a voltage far less  then 11,000 volts.

If my " World's first ---- " statement   is true , then the EP-1  well  deserves the "iconic" status. Another consideration is that the EP-1 was designed to operate on A.C. and D.C. which ( I presume ) is another "World's first ". The A.C. traction-motors were designed by a brilliant Westinghouse engineer , B.G. Lamme who also found the solution to a vexing problem at the Cos Cob generating plant.

With the EP-1  A.C. traction-power motors  a proven sucess  , the next progressive step was the NHRR's  A.C. multiple -unit coaches which first operated between Port Chester and GCT. In 1914  the PRR electrified  it's "Main Line"  with the NHRR system  because  it was the best possible solution to a sever congestion problem  at the PRR's Philidelphia train-shed terminal. Later the Reading electrified it's surburban line with the  NHRR  system , even using  the NHRR's "Trolley-Feeder" system for reasons of economy and simplicity.

September 10th, 2018, 11:59 pm #12

I didn't donate for a restoration for EF-4 #300 and I don't know Rapido's future plans, I just feel like they would just make them in HO scale and that's it, I know they did the FL-9 in N and I think there's an HO as well. But doing an EP-5 in N scale, I don't know if they would even make them

DBrion

September 11th, 2018, 12:47 am #13

There are other definitions of the word iconic, but the one that sustains the very valid point that Mr. Albert Brecken has made follows below:

An iconic design is usually a design that is ‘ground breaking’ and one that sets new standards in its field.  It is a design that other designers and manufacturers follow, as it becomes a bench mark for other similar products.  Furthermore, an iconic design is one that stands up to the test of time, remaining a good design, despite the passing of years, decades and even centuries.

Mr. Brecken, I agree with your proposed EP-1 as the iconic locomotive of the NHRR.  

dpeters04

September 14th, 2018, 10:30 am #14

I would like to add The 3200 2-10-2 steam locomotives the one time largest steam locomotives in New England.