Wethersfield depot

A place to prevent old postings from the "New Haven Railroad Discussions" forum from being wiped out by the "20 page" rule.

Wethersfield depot

October 22nd, 2003, 11:41 am #1

I recently purchased American Model Builders kit of the Wethersfield depot. The instructions mention that New Haven color scheme (pre-Mcginnis) was "cream and 'mud' brown". Any help regarding specific modeling colors (I usually use Floquil paints) would be most appreciated.

October 22nd, 2003, 10:37 pm #2

I used a color from Polly S called "Military Medium Brown" for NH "Mud Brown" in the past. I'm not sure how easy this will be to match, but it is a cross between tan and brown rather than a dark reddish color like "Roof Brown". There was an article on scratchbuilding the station in the Shoreline, maybe someone can post the colors suggeested there.
Pieter

nhguy
nhguy

October 23rd, 2003, 5:42 am #3

Actually the lighter color was a light gray. Not cream like in the instructions say. There is a color photo of the Wethersfiels depot on pg 21 of New Haven Color Pictoral Vol#2. This photo was in another book in a larger format but I can't remember which one. This was still painted that way through 1951. After McGinnis took over it was paint barn red with white trim. It still is to this day. Bill S.
Bill Shanaman

Go New Haven!

Woody551

October 24th, 2003, 7:41 pm #4

Bill, the color photo you have seen must have been a victim of the color fading, or color changing because of the available light when the shot was taken. The lighter color on the exterior of the Wethersfield depot was a cream color.
In addition, the interior of the waiting room, office and "indoor convenience" room were painted a light green, with doors, shelving and other trim a darker green.
The feight room was unpainted.
When the exterior was repainted to the red, the interior colors were not changed.

October 24th, 2003, 8:50 pm #5

A number of the wood structures were painted in an all-over mud brown.... Hartley's NH book has two John Wallace photos (p. 57 and 58) showing Saybrook passenger and freight depots in that scheme.
The cream yellow & chocolate brown scheme was earlier; the colors were researched by Mike Robinson over 30 years ago, when Essex was first painted.

nhguy
nhguy

October 25th, 2003, 8:39 am #6

Well, It sure looks light gray to me. Was the cream color more on the yellow side or the white side Woody? I do remember walking into the station and it was light green. I thought the wood work around the wall was stained wood not painted dark green. Bill
Bill Shanaman

Go New Haven!

Woody551

October 25th, 2003, 6:26 pm #7

Bill, the cream color on the exterior was faded more towards white than yellow.
The only stained wood in the place were the two desks in the office, and the wall mounted box that was the base for the speak into part of the dispatcher's line and message line company phone.
The trim, shelves and even the company safe all had a coat of the darker green.