WANTED: Pictures of The Montowese Tie Plant

chuck4850

May 27th, 2018, 10:38 pm #1

Somebody must have pictures of the tie plant that was at Cedar Hill. I have vivid memories of a visit there as a kid in the early 70's, and I would love to see it again. When I was there, it looked like they just turned off the power one day, and left. I can remember 2' gauge tracks going into the buildings. There was a hand car shed with at least a couple hand cars in it on the end of the track. When my father and I opened the doors, thousands of bats flew out at us! When you followed those tracks into the first building, there was a carriage to feed the logs into the saw. The entire place was fascinating, and I just want to see it again.
Chuck
Last edited by chuck4850 on May 28th, 2018, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rsullivan

May 27th, 2018, 11:07 pm #2

Mr. Chuck. In the Along The Line issue from March 19, 1937, reprinted in Mr. Ronald Hall's and Mr. Robert Wuchert's, Jr. Memories of the New Haven, Vol: 3 (1986) has the article "Cedar Hill Yards and Explanation of Their Operations" by Mr. W.S. Carr and Mr. H.E. Bailey. The section titled "Creosoting Plant" begins, "The plant of the American Creosoting Company at Montowese was built in the winter of 1921-22 to treat with preservatives the ties, timber and other forest products for the New Haven Road. . . After ties are thus machined, they are placed on trams and made up in trains that are the length of the cylinder, 150 feet, containing an average of 1,000 ties to a train. Trains are made up of a motor of mine type and brought to the cylinder to be treated." The map on pages 64 and 65 show the Creosoting Plant just north of the Northbound Departure Tracks. There are no pictures of the creosoting plant shown.
Hope this helps some.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr. member #3967

chuck4850

May 28th, 2018, 9:38 pm #3

Thanks, Richard, but I have that book in my collection, and like you said, no pictures.
Chuck

rsullivan

May 28th, 2018, 9:51 pm #4

Mr. Chuck. I went through the Shoreliner index that Mr. Reidy and Mr. Kasey have been maintianing which identifies and cross references each article, photo and topic, and sorry to say there aren't any photos or even an article mention of Montowese, American Creosoting Company, creosoting plant, or creosoting plant at Cedar Hill Yard in any Shoreliner issues.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr. member #3967