Underslung Charcoal Heaters

Ron High

12:27 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1

Here is an HO Shapeways  heater for the State of Maine 45000 -4509 and BAR insulated heated box cars

https://www.shapeways.com/product/87W62 ... heater-kit

These are priced at 2 for 12.00 .I ordered some they are well done ,they will need a little fine sanding or filing to clean up print lines from the 3D print process.
 Bill Dulmaine and I have discussed the idea of using the Accurail 8500 series plug door steel refrigerator car to do an SoM car.With a few changes it could be a pretty good conversion.. It should be easier because the actual sides and end are separate pieces that snap onto a core with the roof and blank sides and ends.
Ron High I have provided a scan of a brochure of the prototype heater as well as an Authur Mitchell photo of the NH car.
SoM heater1a.jpg SoM heater2a.jpg SoM heater3a.jpg SoM heater4a.jpg 45063a.jpg

rghammill

12:27 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #2

I’ve been working on figuring out the best way to kitbash this car. Doesn’t the NH car have a 6’ door opening and the Accurail car an 8’ one?

The door is kind of the sticking point for me, short of using a Branchline/Atlas or Intermountain core and scratchbuilding the door.

The roof and ends are pretty easy, and Moloco models sells the vents that are on the side of the car.

Randy

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954 | https//:blog.newbritainstation.com

Ron High

9:00 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #3

Randy I just checked an Accural 8500 series car door it measures 6 1/2 feet. That is close enough for me .Of course everyone will have to determine that for themselves.
Ron High

rghammill

11:58 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #4

That’s much better than I thought. Thanks!

Randy

Peter R Ness

7:46 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #5

Ron, Many thanks for posting the shapeways link and Luminator heating unit information.

I'm another that struggles with thoughts of a correct model.  To me, while Accurail car offers close to correct plug door and interchangeable ends, that still leaves the side sill modifications. Not too much work, especially for one car, but for 3-4 cars modelers may consider it tedious.

Did some manufacturer offer the XIH 45000-series cars in the latter era "Alpert/Trustee" scheme? Was that Accurail using this model or was that someone else using a different starting point?

I'm not referring to the really old New England Models car...never could figure out if that was an Athearn-based car or not. I recall at one point there was a resin flat kit maybe F&C?

If so, perhaps Steve could be persuaded to produce a 1-piece body if there is enough interest? 

Regards,
Peter  

rghammill

9:43 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #6

The Shapeways part is pictured on the F&C model.

Unless Steve or somebody else wants to produce it again, it will be a bit of a challenge to build.

Randy

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954 | https//:blog.newbritainstation.com
Peter R Ness wrote: Ron, Many thanks for posting the shapeways link and Luminator heating unit information.

I'm another that struggles with thoughts of a correct model.  To me, while Accurail car offers close to correct plug door and interchangeable ends, that still leaves the side sill modifications. Not too much work, especially for one car, but for 3-4 cars modelers may consider it tedious.

Did some manufacturer offer the XIH 45000-series cars in the latter era "Alpert/Trustee" scheme? Was that Accurail using this model or was that someone else using a different starting point?

I'm not referring to the really old New England Models car...never could figure out if that was an Athearn-based car or not. I recall at one point there was a resin flat kit maybe F&C?

If so, perhaps Steve could be persuaded to produce a 1-piece body if there is enough interest? 

Regards,
Peter  

bogman102

10:00 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #7

Athearn did these cars in plastic and Crown Custom did them in brass.
Crown Custom offered them in as delivered, with underslung heater, and the repaint scheme, without the heater.
NHRHTA offered this 45000 series car as their kits #2 (as delivered) and #5 (repaint) made by Funaro & Carmalengo.
I believe the only difference between the two kits is the decals.

Ron High

7:08 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #8

Wlathers did offer the TM car in the Alpert /Trustee scheme the same old car but a better paint job. The F&C /NHRHTA car is the only other car I am aware of. Of course there is the very Nice Crown custom 200.00 brass car.
I don't know of an athearn car thst would be anywhere near close to this car.
Ron High

Ron High

7:31 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #9

Peter here is a scan of both sides . The construction of these cars is  a core body with sides and ends blank  and a complete roof. the exterior sides and ends snap onto the core. I can't seem to enlarge the scan will try again . there is a section along the bottom with cutouts on the inside . What is there doesnot match the SoM cars but it is easy enough to trim these . I have done this on BAR reefers to better match the sidesill of those reefers.
Ron High
scanside.jpg
scanside.jpg

jwcostello

7:44 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #10

Most N Scalers will or should know that ESM (Eastern Seaboard Models) produces this model with the underbody heater in Red/white/blue scheme and without the heater in the repaint scheme.

Jim Costello  #L082
Modelling the NH down under