AZHONutCase

December 2nd, 2007, 6:27 pm #21

You guys have done a fantastic job of providing information that is not available anywhere else. I have pasted it all into a word document for future reference.
Myself. and I am sure, all of the others who are in the process of doing the Union Station up right also owe you a grateful thanks.
Now, I am going to have to do the unthinkable. Buy an engineers cap to operate through the station area.

October 14th, 2008, 4:43 pm #22

Map of the NH trackage, 1941, from _Port and Terminal Facilities of Southern New England_, Corps of Engineers, US Army.

The two spurs in the upper left of the scan, running along State St., under the words "New York," are the spurs under and alongside the trolley viaduct.  Cars on these spurs could be unloaded into the back yards of the buildings on State St., so it is logical to assume that the freight cars on these spurs were carrying food (meat, vegetables, fruit, canned goods, butter, coffee), as well as furniture, hardware, plumbing supplies, and who knows what else. Those were the businesses located there.
Last edited by Robert Livingston on October 14th, 2008, 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.