THE PARLORS ARE ON THE CONTINENT!

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
DBrion

March 9th, 2018, 9:23 am #61

My parlors arrived Wednesday (March 7th).  Perfect condition.  I was naturally pleased with the product, but equally so with the care and enthusiasm in how the cars were packed, shipped, tracked and delivered.  The instruction sheet was, to me. a bonus.  Such efficiency and dedication is rare nowadays.  

I thank NHRHTA and Rapido for the fantastic product, but many, many KUDOS are owed to Mr. Clinton and the SSMRR group for organizing and executing the process of getting the parlors to market so successfully.  I hope I didn't forget anyone.  

Other enterprises could learn from you guys.  

🙂  🚂  🙂

rsullivan

March 10th, 2018, 4:35 am #62

Now that our fabulous Rapido Trains parlor and parlor-lounge cars are in our possession and we have discussed on this and other threads about the interior should be populated by passengers, and the picture on page 19 of Mr. Wayne D. Drummond's article "The Parlor Cars Series 300 - 324 & Series 400 - 404" in Shoreliner, vol. 39, iss. 3, raises another question for me. While Pullman was operating the parlor and parlor-lounge cars, was there a Pullman porter or attendant in each car? When the New Haven took over the operations of the parlor and parlor-lounge cars on October 1, 1956, was there a New Haven RR attendant/steward in each car? The picture seems to indicate there were New Haven RR employees providing beverage service, but doesn't mention the type of car. The diagrams for both types of cars only shows a linen locker as a possible storage area for beverages. Judging by Mr. J.W. Swanberg's "A Class Act - Right To The End" article in the same Shoreliner, in July 1967 there was a steward on the New Rochelle and beverages were served by the steward. Then, when Pullman operated the cars while in the as delivered scheme, did the Pullman porters or attendants wear white jackets or dark jackets? I can see by the picture on page 19 that the New Haven attendant/steward wore a white jacket. Just trying to calculate how many stewards I need to obtain, paint, and populate the cars. Thanks for any help on this.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  #3967

nhrr246512

March 10th, 2018, 7:47 am #63

During NHRR operation of the cars, proper parlance per NHRR 8/1/63 Manual of Instructions for Parlor and Lounge Bar Car Attendants is not steward or porter but "attendant" as you note.
When painting your Parlor Car/Parlor Lounge attendant the regulation uniform is as follows:
Uniform cap will be worn when receiving. It is to be worn in a horizontal position - not tilted to the side of the head.
Uniform coat will be worn while receiving during cold weather; white coat will be worn while receiving during warm weather and while on duty inside car. Care must be taken that sweaters, jackets, etc. do not show if worn beneath outer coat. Time Tables or other lengthy or bulky articles must not be carried in outside pockets. Uniform is to be kept clean, neatly pressed and in good repair.
Black shoes and socks will be worn. Shoes are to be clean, polished and in good repair.
A black bow tie and white cotton shirt with collar freshly laundered will be worn.
Maintain good personal appearance: Hair must be combed and properly trimmed. Face must be clean shaven. Fingernails must be clean and clipped.

rsullivan

March 10th, 2018, 9:29 am #64

Thanks Mr. Nhrr246512. While your information is from 1963, I'm going to use it for my cars with the Pullman staff for 1949 through October of 1956, and my New Haven attendants for 1956 to 1959. I take it that "receiving" means on the platform or vestibule. So, unless I decide to have one attendant standing in the open dutch door of a car, I'll keep the hats off. It doesn't mention the color of the pants to be worn. Were the attendants allowed to wear any dark slacks, or was navy blue or black the usual approved pants' colors? I'm not sure if the difference would be discernable inside a lit car, and maybe a mute subject.
Richard (short form) #3967

Ed ORourke

March 12th, 2018, 5:26 pm #65

Finally got them out of the box, did a little weathering and off they go on the "Clipper" to Boston. Connecticut River is Parlor/Lounge, Holyoe a straight parlor. Need to get some paying customers in those seats.

Ed
IMG_0744.jpg

nhrr246512

March 13th, 2018, 5:23 am #66

Paying customers on the HOLYOKE July 21, 1968 #13 South Station - GCT were the Boston Red Sox Baseball Team. This was an extra car added to the end of the train as shown here behind the regular Parlor Lounge, albeit in McGinnis rather than "as delivered" scheme.

rsullivan

March 13th, 2018, 6:22 am #67

nhrr246512 wrote: Paying customers on the HOLYOKE July 21, 1968 #13 South Station - GCT were the Boston Red Sox Baseball Team. This was an extra car added to the end of the train as shown here behind the regular Parlor Lounge, albeit in McGinnis rather than "as delivered" scheme.
Mr. Nhrr246512. Was the team allowed to wear civies 👔 or did they travel 🚋 in their ⚾ uniforms? 🤔
Richard (short form) #3967

Ed ORourke

March 13th, 2018, 10:22 am #68

nhrr246512 wrote: Paying customers on the HOLYOKE July 21, 1968 #13 South Station - GCT were the Boston Red Sox Baseball Team. This was an extra car added to the end of the train as shown here behind the regular Parlor Lounge, albeit in McGinnis rather than "as delivered" scheme.
Having lost to the lowly Washington Senators on Sunday 7/21/68, the Red Sox came back and beat the Yankees at Yankee Statium on Monday 7/22/68, 7-6 behind Jim Lonborg and Sparky Lyle. I doubt that you could fit the entire 40 man team into one parlor, however.

nhrr246512

March 13th, 2018, 7:31 pm #69

Richard: Civies, including a very mod Ken Harrelson wearing a green Nehru jacket, bell bottom pants and a large gold medallion.

Ed: You are correct, it was the 22nd and not the 21st. Sportswriter Larry Claflin noted some players got on at South Station, some boarded at Back Bay and the rest got on at Rte. 128. Perhaps the "overflow" in the adjacent Parlor Lounge ahead? By the way, you might expect the second Parlor Car on that train to carry "132" in the small glass car designation, but for some reason that day the HOLYOKE was designated X-400.

Ed ORourke

March 15th, 2018, 6:46 pm #70

nhrr246512 wrote: Richard: Civies, including a very mod Ken Harrelson wearing a green Nehru jacket, bell bottom pants and a large gold medallion.

Ed: You are correct, it was the 22nd and not the 21st. Sportswriter Larry Claflin noted some players got on at South Station, some boarded at Back Bay and the rest got on at Rte. 128. Perhaps the "overflow" in the adjacent Parlor Lounge ahead? By the way, you might expect the second Parlor Car on that train to carry "132" in the small glass car designation, but for some reason that day the HOLYOKE was designated X-400.
Had to love "the Hawk."