The New Haven's Baseball Special Trains

October 9th, 2003, 9:33 pm #1

Hi.
All the talk (since removed) about baseball here has got me wondering about the New Haven's Weekend Baseball trains.
So:
What was the standard passenger car consist? Types of cars? Number per train?
Locomotives used? Interchange (diesel to electric) in New Haven?
Station stops along the way? Starting point/destination?
Average number of Baseball Specials per weekend?
Separate trains for Yankee and Red Sox fans (LOL)?
Thanks,
David
GO YANKS!

October 9th, 2003, 9:37 pm #2

Forgot to ask....
Year of the first and last Baseball Special?
David
GO YANKS! (I already hear the flak coming for that! LOL)

Tom Curtin

October 10th, 2003, 7:12 am #3

If you have the book "Trackside with Tom McNamara" you will find some photos of what Tom says are baseball specials, on the Springfield Line. They appear to be simply a very long train of all coaches behind a couple of PAs. Date would by mid or late 50s.
I remember a couple of Sundays around 1959, 1960, or so, when #139 (Sunday morning Pittsfield-NY job) would come into Danbury with a much longer than usual consist (Usual was about 4 coaches), packed to the gills. I was told these extra cars were a baseball special. Thus, these "Specials" weren't always special (i.e., extra) trains in the literal sense.

October 10th, 2003, 9:28 am #4

The earliest "Baseball Special" advertising material that I am familiar with date from the late summer of 1955. These trains typically consisted of coaches along with a grill car which served as a bar car or lounge.

October 10th, 2003, 7:18 pm #5

Sorry, only the Boston Red Sox Baseball Team had the Class and Dignity to depart its normal jet with stewardesses routine and ride the New Haven Railroad Boston to New York on a prearranged special Parlor Car in the last year of the NHRR's existence -on #13 July 22, 1968 to be exact. I was working for the NHRR that day and witnessed it. It was even documented in the Boston papers' sports pages. How many of you out there were aware of this? Go Red Sox, Go New Haven!

October 24th, 2003, 10:05 pm #6

Many of you may not know it, but the New York Football Giants have gotten into the habit of taking the Northeast Corridor of Amtrak to play their away games. This year they have traveled to Baltimore (Exhibition Game) and Washington (Regular Season) by Train. Two weeks ago they used the ex-NHRR Shore Line Route to travel to Foxborough to visit the New England Patriots. Although they lost this game (I was there with one of my sons in the rain!) I for one think it's great that a team that generated enough interest to have the NHRR utilize the COMET on Football Specials to the Polo Grounds to see them returns the favor (at least in the mind of this NHRR/N.Y.Giants fan) by traveling NHRR rails to Boston. The recent information here from N. Y. Giants' Website

October 25th, 2003, 7:00 am #7

Hey Paul! We finally agree on something! GO GIANTS!
But ya know I've been a life-long Vikings fan as well.
Tomorrow will be interesting. (Giants@Vikings).
GO WHOEVER!
Anyway I'll guess the Vikings over the Giants. But because I'm usually wrong about this sort of stuff.....
David

October 26th, 2003, 10:52 am #8

HOW ABOUT THOSE MARLINS!!!!!!!

October 26th, 2003, 11:04 am #9

Oh geez!
CONGRATULATIONS!
Okay?
Happy now?
Well, at least the Red Sox didn't win.
David

Seoltoir

October 26th, 2003, 1:17 pm #10

This may be a little off subject, but it has to do with baseball teams traveling by rail.
In the mid 50s, myself and a few other rails were returning from a Signal Maintainers clambake in Rhode Island. When we boarded, we knew the Chicago White Sox were in the rear car. During the trip a few of them would be wandering up and down the train, going to the bar car I suppose. They refused requests for autographs and were generally surly to the people that tried to talk to them.
Upon arriving at NH station, people there, told us that the Red Sox had thrown a no-hitter at them that day. Of course when we heard that, we immediately adjourned to the rear of the train and proceeded to give them the one finger salute along with the one arm salute.
Geez, it seems like it was yesterday. Bob L.