John B
John B

June 6th, 2003, 5:25 pm #21

Paul,
Your B-17/B-24 flyover story reminds me of a similar
event I witnessed back in 1994 cruising down Lake Worth Boulevard (in a new Mustang convertible, top down of course) which runs perpendicular to the eastern
Florida coast. Off in the distance, perhaps a mile offshore, I saw the B-17 banking in and aligning itself with the Boulevard. Couldn't have been more than 1000ft up. Right after she straightened out the B-24 appeared and did the same. Both planes heading straight toward me as I headed toward the beach. Then to my further surprise four WWII fighters lining up in sequence behind the B-24, two Mustangs, one P40 Warhawk, and one Corsair. Each plane in succession passed directly overhead. What a sight!!! What a sound!!!
John

John B
John B

June 6th, 2003, 5:42 pm #22

I thought the B52's were cool, we used to see them fly into Bradley during the Vietnam War. But the best one I ever saw fly overhead was the B58 Hustler. I have never seen a B36 or B47 but I try to catch "Strategic Air Command" whenever I can.
My dad was an Air Corp mechanic, stateside, during WWII and worked on most of the medium and long range bombers used in the European theater (B25's, B26's, B17's, B24's and even P47's and P38's). We used to go through picture books galore on all sorts of aircraft when I was younger, but somehow I took a liking to trains more than airplanes. I think if I saw more of the vintage WWII planes flying it might have been a
different story!!
John

Noel Weaver

June 6th, 2003, 5:50 pm #23

Memo, I have heard many B-36-7's and every other GE
as well. My last ten years with the railroad were
running through freight between Selkirk and Buffalo
and we had them all. The B-36-7 was a good engine
but very hard riding, probably the worst riding
engines running at Selkirk during the ten years that
I was there. Like most other engineers, I much
preferred EMD over GE.
Noel Weaver

June 6th, 2003, 7:14 pm #24

The B36's I am talking about had 6 propellers and 4 jet engines.
Bernie

Noel Weaver

June 6th, 2003, 7:23 pm #25

I thought we were talking railroads here.
Noel Weaver

Rick Abramson

June 6th, 2003, 7:59 pm #26

The B-36. . .4 burnin' & 6 turnin'!

Marlin
Marlin

June 6th, 2003, 8:45 pm #27

Noel, you touched a real soft spot. I have vivid memories of a pair of DER1s not only burbling but also accelerating out of the Berlin Station in Kensington, my home town. I'd dearly love to have a clip on tape, or on the computer, of the DER1s idling and under initial full power. I don't think there is any other more unique sound in the railroad industry.....
The only thing better to me were the I-4s and either R-1s or L-1s rumbling through town with a long consist.

nynhrr43

June 6th, 2003, 10:50 pm #28

How true Noel. Most Engineers I knew like the EMDs better. They reffered to the GE engines as Garbage Engines. I also preffered the EMDs over the GEs unfortununatly there were restrictions for third rail past Croton with many EMDs because of third rail clarence. I used to love hearing the high pitch of the roots blowers on the EMDs going under overpasses.
Ahhh, music to the ears.
Charles

Dick Brundage

June 7th, 2003, 1:52 am #29

I recently picked up a casette tape on ebay with electric engine sounds on trains between NH and NY. I havent received the tape yet so I cant comment on how good it is. I have also added Jays email address so that anyone might contact him to see if he has any more for sale. I am not associated with him in any way regarding selling these tapes.
I have also pasted below the tape description that was on ebay.
Dick Brundage
Tulsa Oklahoma
Jay Winn
E-mail Address(es):
mjandj@adelphia.net
You are bidding on a one hour audio cassette tape. (2-30minute sides) taken in real time during the 15 year period from 1950 to about 1965 by an ex New Haven Railroad engineer. He taped as a hobby and captured this rare sound on various types of equipment available nearly 50 years ago. He had the most success with a magnetic wire recorder which was bulky and hard to manage, and resulted in a lot of extraneous noises. He was a frequent buyer of our tapes and approached us to help him edit and clean up his original while putting them on cassettes so he could listen to them in his car. We were able to edit and clean up much of the tape recordings and the result was that we were given the rights to add these selections to our catalog of rare railroad sounds. This particular tape NEW HAVEN ELECTRIC POWER is the 46th in our series of audio tapes featuring a specific railroad, and the 5th devoted exclusively to the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad. Unlike the first tapes ,New Haven Diesels part 1 , New Haven Diesels part 2, New Haven Diesels part 3 (Cedar Hill) and New Haven diesels part 4, the locations used for this tape are basically in and around the New Haven, CT. station, along the Shoreline and in the cabs of locomotives.. Side 1 (master# 340) Starts out with a cab ride in a GE EP4, the streamlined 4-6-0 x 0-6-4 double cab electric as she pulls the Clocker from New Haven towards New York City. Next we are at the New Haven station where we catch an arriving passenger train with another EP4 in the lead. Then an EP3 (unstreamlined box cab version of the EP4) arrives with a passenger train. Then another EP3 leaves New Haven station with a passenger train. Still in the station we hear an EP4 as it leaves., and another EP4 as it moves around getting in place for the next assignment. Next we have a very rare sound clip taken in late 1960. On the same clip we hear a soon to be retired EP3 as it arrives with a passenger train on one side of a platform and a brand new FL9 as it leaves with a train from the other side of the same platform. Then the EP3 backs down towards serving area. This is one of those blinks in time when the last of one breed briefly passes the new kid in town. The FL9s started arriving in late 1960 and the EP3s were scrapped from about 1955 with the last one in early 1961, making this a rare chance encounter. Next an EP4 leaves with a passenger train. Then an EP5 jet arrives with a passenger train from NYC. Then in quick succession and EP4 leaves with a passenger train as does our old EP3 with another passenger local. Then an EP4 arrives with a PT. The last sound clip on this side is a cab ride in a Jet EP5. This was one of the first in cab tapes our friend took and while the original was noisy with a lot of in cab chatter, when cleaned and edited it is a very exceptional record of the sounds of a jet at the point of a fast passenger train. Side 2 (master#341) continues our coverage of the New Haven Electric power starting with another cab ride (after all our friend was a New Haven engineer) this time in an EP4 out of New Haven on an eastbound crack passenger train. This is a great cab ride sound, with little chatter and good clear engine sounds. It is truly good stuff. Then its along the shoreline to catch runbys first there are 3 different runbys with EP5 s, then a runby with a pair of EF4s (E33s to the non New Haven fan) on a short freight with a slow order. Then its back to New Haven where we catch an EP4 with a local as it leaves, and then outside of town we catch another pair of EF4s as the start a long freight eastbound. Next is the last cab ride.. this time on of the EP5 Jets . This is a great clip with amazing acceleration with a large main line passenger train.. this too is memorable and rare sound. The last 4 clips are EP5s.. First leaving the New Haven station, followed by two high speed runbys and the last clip on this tape is of a passenger train leaving New Haven station with a battered old EP5. If you are a New Haven fan , a fan of electric power or even just a railfan, this exceedingly rare stuff is a must for your collection.. Buyer pays actual shipping costs and personal checks must clear. Shipping is $2.00 for up to 2 tapes First Class Mail or $3.95 for up to 5 tapes Priority Mail. If you are an affictionado of real rare sound carefully captured by railfans and edited on good equipment by a railfan, especially for railfans, look no further. Give us a try you wont be sorry. Satisfaction Guaranteed.

northeast45.e

June 7th, 2003, 6:35 pm #30

The B-36 was one of the few US planes that were powered by the R-4360 gasoline engine. It was the largest production piston engine ever built (I think by Pratt & Whitney) (The very same P & WA that powered our favorite Turbo Train with the PT-6 series of turboshaft engines) I saw a cutaway of the 4360.....what an engineering and production marvel. The 4 jets on the D model were leftover J-34's or something like that. Anyone know? ex USAF type?